SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Nice pics from you know who.

Good to see Scalextric feeding the collector market by breaking their tradition of only the first couple of liveries of a new model being available in Sport guise.

Also for all of us Welsh Nationalists something to stir those patriotic embers "Cymru a byth". Actually this livery is tempting me to purchase my first fake mini.

Matt "Ty Bach Drwyg" Tucker

PS If you can speak welsh my apologies for my phonetic interpretations of the
beautiful language (I failed every welsh exam I took (a proud statement on my CV!))

·
Registered
154 Posts
hi matt
i have to say those gt40's do look lovely
ive been trying to get some of the scalextric ones ie the black gold or red
limited editions and there now going for silly money
that one looks nice i think we'll have one of those i presume at the rrp
the one we have already is a c2464 and doesnt for some reason doesnt seem to handle as well as other scalextric ltd editions like the tvr etc etc im thinking cos the magnet for some reason is a smaller one ??
kev an the lil one connor
ps is that gt40 available now ?

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to collect the GT40s in sport mode then the black one and the german ltd ed (kelner) ones are going for a lot -not sure why the black one always goes for more than the first gulf and gold one as they all were produced in 4000 runs

However this one is currently at RRP and Getslotted have them as of today

Matt

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Although the numbers on the boxes don't add any real value. They are nevertheless an attraction if you are going to sell. I think in the case of a Gt40, apart from #1, the only must have number would be #40 of course !

M

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just got one yesterday. Fine looking version with the alternate cooling hood. One thought, are they getting to the bottom of list? I read the story on the box lid and it explained that the #59 didn't finish the race. It spun-out on it's own leaked fuel. (lost fuel cap underway). Why would it be used for a "sport" issue? I would have liked to see a red #3 mk.II as the special. It does run well (as usual) with the standard mods.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm also trying to get all the sport versions of the GT40 (I currently have 5), and some of them are getting hard to find unless you wish to pay silly prices!

This new one seems like one of the best looking ones so far, so one of them will be heading my way soon.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sweet GT-40

A classic sports car if there ever was one and with Fly and Scaley both having high quality models out, we slotters are spoiled for choice!

I must say, I like the Scaley versions alot.

I run them no mag and they go well on my Ninco track. I haven't optimized the tuning on any of them yet, they all seem prone to understeer and popping out in one or two places (might need a little weight on the nose to keep the guide down).

Plus, the odd hard hit during running has seen the ocasional hood, rear window and running light go flying off. I wonder if on this new one the tape X on the running lights will help keep these in place. I must have 6 of them in my parts box awaiing a re-glue.

My only Fly is the Tergal version and its OK, but very loose with its stock tyres. Runs ok after I trimmed away the front wheel wells!!! A different drive than Sclaey for sure.

Here's a pop quiz. Spot the Sport versions, there are two!

Cheers, Ken R

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
When I mentioned to Adrian Norman that Hornby appeared to be producing a higher number of SPORT Listers than normal he did say that Hornby felt that the market was growing worldwide and that a number such as this would assure that everybody who wanted one would be able to get one, including new folk who are now participating in the slot car revival, which was a fair point to make.

If they are only producing 5000 of these GT40's then that is possibly too few. The GT40 still has a strong following, if not THE strongest following among slot car racers.

Moped

·
Registered
349 Posts
Inte, Lotus, Mk-2!

Nice guesses. Wow an impromtu contest. Sorry no prizes.

Sport versions are No 6 and No 3.

Was quick on the trigger on the No 6 Sport and was a tad cheesed at the time because in North America Scalextric USA was very boisterous about their proclamation that the GT-40s were going to be sport only.

This created some early bad feelings as their was contradictory info coming out of Margate...but they didn't change the message for some time.

I pushed the issue on SCI at the time and eventually the true intent of Scalextric was made that the currently scheduled GT-40's would all be available as standard release at some point.

So at the time I decided only to buy the Standards and save the $10-$15 CDN per car! After all there isn't a box to be seen in my display case and if I bought it I'll run it.... (so I can guarantee there are only 3,999 potential No 6 releases MIB)

The Red No 3 Sport was a "Sale" item at a Local Train Shop of all places and was cheaper than the Standard release at the regular stocklists!!!

The point being, other than packaging and a collectors market potential, Sport and Standard look pretty much the same on the track - and in my pic they're standing still...

Cheers all, Ken R

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The specific point of the word "Limited is that there should NOT be enough of whatever it is to completely satisfy demand. If total demand is met, then the "limited" appellation is degraded to being completely meaningless.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.