SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
This HOWTO was done to help the increasing number of intrepid chippers access a simple way to create the FMs required when using digital chips ...

The first stage is to clamp the capacitor firmly into a small vice. My one has a suction base; old but still good ...

Vitally important to tin the parts were the wires will attach. Note how I am using my fingers to steady my hands ...

Tinning the wires can be easily achieved my fixing the iron and using my free hands to manipulate the wire & solder ...

The wire was twisted tightly before tinning but the heat of the iron will expand the wire strands and tend to unravel the
end also, as you draw the wire clear of the iron and solder various deposits are left behind. So best practice is to cut off
the couple of mms before processing further ...

The next stage is to make a sharp bend in the middle of the soldered end. Tweezers are fine because you can not apply
too much pressure as you could using pliers ....

The wire is wiggled into place so that it sits over the previously tinned capacitor and "crimped" again with the tweezers ...

With both wires in firmly in place, the wires are touched with the iron and the solder to ensure a good solid joint. Again
I am steadying my hands with my free fingers resting on the vice. The best soldered joint has a good mechanical joint
and the solder should be a shiny silver ...

All done and ready for adding either his feet or longer legs as posted in another thread ....

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Hi
Quality soldering and approach Greg.

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Bravissimo, Greg! This is great to have at hand when explaining the process, brilliant.

Christian

PS: How did you keep your hands so steady during the entire process

PPS: A mini vice with a suction cup, how nice. My mini vice is kept in place by placing it in a vice

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's either resting my fingers on the vice or if my wife is mad with me ....... [email protected]&^s in the vice ....

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
Hi
Many thanks for posting this Greg,got the blue Lotus running again today after it cooked three chips,it lasted half a lap before the ferrite mans legs fell off.....p***ed again.

Anyhow the howto came in very usefull and he has now sobered up.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't you mean, ....................... wait for it, ................................................. piston broke ..

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Mr Modifier has them on his website ..... Route1

Here is the LINK on how to extend the legs of the FM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
or you can buy them at your local electronic pusher !

only question then is what the value are on those ferrites ?? XXuH or XXXnH anybody who knows that ?

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Hi Seti aka Poul,

I've been trying to find binocular ferrites at various electronics stores in DK and on the web but with no luck: Either not the right size or extremely high prices. W8424 can be found for as little as 0.86 GBP or 7.44 DKK for ten pieces + standard letter postage. If you can beat that please let me know the name of your local pusher!

Christian

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Hi Greg-

Did I miss the bit where you provided the FM's cranial parameters ( uf value)? In another thread perhaps?
Thanks for the great How-To!

rrc

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
ixwa, there is much tolerance as regards the capacitor - you will see stock Slot.its and Scalextricses fitted with e.g. 473 ceramic capacitors (I.e. a capacitance of 47,000 picoFarad (47 x 1,000 (3 zeros)) 103pF, 103 nF (nanoFarad), 104nF and 100nF - and that is just what I have seen until I stopped checking
Any of these values will do - the filter is a rough one, look in this thread.

Christian

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
103 is the magic number .......... good enough for Scalextric so should be OK for me .....

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Me too. I don't throw out the Slot.it capacitors, though

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Some Scaleys have a 104 capacitor (perhaps they sourced the wrong ones) which is why I sourced 104's to make up my stock of Ferrite men

However, as it is a crude low pass filter the values are not crucial (according to the odd guru or two).

All I know is that a friend of mine had a car with an unknown Mabuchi that simply refused to run more than a few centimetres on its c7705 before stopping. When I fitted a ferrite man with a 104 between the chip and the motor it came to life and ran faultlessly.

So 103 or 104 - seems to make no difference. I suspect the binocular core is more important and I always use the genuine Scalextric item.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If I remember RichG's comment correctly in an old thread about my pulsing problem, 104 is 10 times "stronger" than the 103. Most, if not all SCX cars have the 104 though. Scalextric seem to use the 103 on most cars and on the APB rails.

I'm curious to know what the binocular bit does though, is it the cap smoothing out the power & the binoculars suppressing the interference

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Thanks guys, good info on the capacitors!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
To answer my own question about the Ferrite men binoculars (beads) here's a explanation from Auslot:QUOTE So lets look at what the ferrite man actually does... the wee bloke is constructed of a ferrite bead and a capacitor - fairly standard items. The ferrite bead exists to remove high frequency signals off the wires - it does so by presenting a number of ohms impedence to those higher frequencies while allowing the low frequency stuff through without restriction. The power to the motor is low frequency (DC actually). The capacitor does a similar thing, but in a slightly different way. The capacitor works by 'filling in the holes and spikes' in the signal, thereby taking away undesirable content. (Interestingly, you'll actually find a similar concept within the speakers on your stereo to get rid of the high frequency sound going down to your woofers.)
In effect, the ferrite man provides a means of getting rid of all the nasties which come off the electrics as your car charges around the trackLink to original post (by MIH)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts