SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
You've seen the video: La Course GT Video.

Here are some insights on how it was done.

Slik came over to my place and we decided after making a little film on the two Challengers to do something a bit longer. We wanted a storyline and we spent an evening and another day, two or three bottles of cheap French red wine trying to figure out a story.

There was going to be an Italian driver who had a pit-babe girlfriend that was in the process of cheating on him with another driver... anyway it got a little complicated and when we were face with the task of getting all this into 3 minutes of film, we abandoned the love-triangle aspect.

The main issue facing us was how to get a race into the short time required for a downloadable film. Not everybody has ADSL and a 3 minute film can get quite big.

We started with a minute and spent a day doing that. We did a really cool stop-go animation of the 50th AE Corvette Pace car coming off the slot and into the pits. This was done by mounting my digital SLR camera onto a tripod and taking 38 pictures that were converted into frames to make just over a second and a half of film. I started out by moving the car forward between pictures about 2 cm. It worked quite well. In the rest of the film we used 4 other short animation sequences (a second or two each) - see if you can find them.

Lighting was very important for the film. We bought a 500W halogen site light on a tripod and together with the 4 neon strip lights filmed with that. We moved the halogen closer to the work for close-ups but tried to keep the light on the same side each time to keep the shadows the same.

I have a 4-lane Scalextric Sport track. We started racing with 16 cars. As you can imagine it was a little hectic. The first few scenes resulted in a some big pile-ups. After the field thinned out, we were able to manage it better by only having to film a few cars at a time. There were many little clips shot and then of course edited together later. We were luckily to have our editing computers right next to the track. This makes life very easy. My track room has high speed Internet (wired and wireless), good music lots of space and did I mention the wine...hic

Slik downloaded the digital clips from his Sony handycam right into iMovie on his Apple iBook. Whilst Slik was putting the scenes together, I was trying to co-ordinate the order in which the cars went round the first few laps to get the continuity right. Then when some crashed off, to remember which they were. I looked for sound bites on the Internet and found quite a few good ones. Sandy helped us with a little commentary and we were able to find some funky music from my collection.

We came up with some creative shots under the bridges and through the trees. It was cool to have so many cars lighted and it made the final film more effective. The steady-cam clip of the '03 Corvette is one of my favorites. The added sound makes it so much better.

We would have loved to get some in-car footage. Perhaps next time around.

A job like this should never be rushed and it was interesting to see how Slik tweaked the scenes over the next few days. I mixed some of the audio using Cakewalk Sonar. With final commentary added and getting them into a few different formats, it took nearly 100 hours in all to do the job. The most important thing was that it was allot of fun to do. We spent time playing with all the cars even pulling out the 3-car Fly economy packs and running them as they were designed to be run.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank for the report Nuro...

A big big thank you for doing this movie, it looks superb....so realistic...I have been telling all my address book the link...... I hate to think how many hits you have had.

You made something very very special...proving this 'hobby' can be as realistic on film/pictures as it is in our 'heads/imagination'.

Top draw you guys....I think a special award needs to be presented!

Regards

Neil

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

Many thanks for the insight Nuro! I'll have to try and d/l the movie at work - they have a way faster internet connection

Mark.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Kudos, Nuro

Totally out of my league - for me, it was no mean feat just downloading it !

Ciao

Beppe

PS : I'm a bit concerned, though, at the repeated references to "cheap French red wine" - should I bring my own to Egg ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I tell you what... that multi-car scene with the field making that turn was absolutely amazing. For a minute or two I was imagining digital/mcpl and wondering how you all had mastered the technique so quickly.

Awesome job, guys. Something I don't see in the RC world is the realistic cars and scenery. It's the look/feel of realism that does it for me. Just like when I first saw the OldSlotRacer site.

-Maltese

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE we used 4 other short animation sequences (a second or two each) - see if you can find them.

Hmmm.... before I commend you on the film then I better look.....

The two cars reentering the track after spinning/crashing, there seems to be a scene where rear end slides are orchestrated.... but that's only 3.... am I close?

Regardless, it was great fun to watch. Probably not as much fun as making it (why don't we see the wine meter in action?)

Seriously.... if you can view this (hi-res or low) do so! Great filmwork, Nuro and Slik!

·
Registered
329 Posts
QUOTE (Maltese @ 14 Sep 2004, 01:08)I tell you what... that multi-car scene with the field making that turn was absolutely amazing.
Hey there Maltese!

The part you are refering to was real

Each of the scenes with lots of cars turning was simply done by some slik filming and editing

There is only two scenes in the film where there is actually more than four cars running on the track for real,

1. The start.

2. The part where the cars come through the tunnel just before the Vette pulls off the track.

Everything else is smoke and mirrors or stop motion.

Cheers,

Julian.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Back in my youth, I made a couple of movies with HO F1 cars. I used a big VHS camera, combining stop action and video. I dubbed over a music soundtrack. Man I wish I still had that video.

Your film has inspired me to try my hand at this again, first I will need to get some scenery completed. I doubt my results will be as great as yours. I will have a time auditioning young ladies for the voiceover.

"Hello, I am directing a movie, and you seem just right for a part..."

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Just a thought...

If you want it to be available to more people then you could cut off the 'Credits' at the end, and simply type them below the 'Short' version link.

McLaren

·
Registered
446 Posts
Very interesting reade on the Video. Especially interesting was the Fly Corvette coming off of the track into the pits. Can I just ask who made the 2 C5R's (on the 2 middle lanes) on the starting grid on the first picture. Is that a livery you made or is it a Fly?

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (MR MAX @ 17 Sep 2004, 08:35)Very interesting reade on the Video. Especially interesting was the Fly Corvette coming off of the track into the pits. Can I just ask who made the 2 C5R's (on the 2 middle lanes) on the starting grid on the first picture. Is that a livery you made or is it a Fly?
They are Fly. Fantastic cars. Check them out here

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks Nuro, I hadn't seen them a normal Fly cars so I thought they might have been a homemade livery. I'm gonna try and find one on its own around somewhere as I don't want to spend that much money on 3 cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts