SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seen pictures of other guys favourite racers, I thought I'd share some of mine.

He was to me, the greatest driver of all time, if not for his achievements on the track, then for the amount that he put into the sport, and community around him. He was also the driver who thought most about the sport in which he competed at the very highest level. He would captivate interviewers for hours with his philosophising about nearly everything under the sun. And he was always at peak physical condition, and would train for hours more than his peers.

Some didn't like him because of his manner on the track. He was ruthless and unforgiving, whilst remaining fair, IMO. But the reason behind this was his addiction... His addiction to winning. This was his motivating force which drove him to the levels he achieved.

He was considered the best by many of his contemporaries, and by millions of fans all around the world. And even now, 10 years after his tragic death, he is remembered by all Formula One fans everytime they see his helmet...

McLaren

PS. He also won three drivers championships and four constructors championships for my favourite team...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I can't say I could be fussed with the bloke - came over as a bit of an arse. Could bloody drive though! Nice Pics (even if they are teh funny red & white cars.. )

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Ayrton Senna changed motor racing, he brought a different level of commitment and win at all cost tactics to the sport. All the ruthless driving witnessed today in most levels of racing can be traced back to his approach and attitude.

Early in his career in the lower formulae he wasn't averse to physically attacking other drivers after a race and no one needs reminding of his disgraceful and cynical ramming of Prost at the first corner of the Japanese GP in 1990 to clinch the world championship.

He was also a sensitive man deeply affected by accidents suffered by other drivers and took a real interest in their welfare. Despite his total focus on success and perfection he wasn't self absorbed and he had a sense of the history of the sport enjoying the company of previous great drivers he met at grand prix, he also took the time to visit, unannounced and without fuss, the Jim Clark Room in Duns to pay his respects to the great Scotsman.

This complex and charasmatic man was a true great of the sport who had to battle against very tough competition for each of his championship titles. He may have been flawed but that's the way we like our heroes isn't it?

I saw him "live" at the British GP from his debut Toleman season then nearly every year through to his last appearance at Silverstone in 1993 and will never forget his all or nothing qualifying laps in the turbo days. Here are a couple of the photographs I took of him.

David

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do get quite annoyed when people bring up the incident with Prost without discussing what happened the year before...

McLaren

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anybody saw Senna in the wet at Donnington in the 1993 European GP they would never question who was the greatest of all time. In all the mentions of other drivers, there is no mention of our Nigel, he passed Senna once at Monaco with a superb piece of late braking after the tunnel!

G

·
I am a big Senna fan, as he raced to win in away few other have. Yes he was flawed but we all are in different ways.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts