SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, hello again, this is the official start of the airfield track previously started in 'new kid on the block'. things were getting a bit hectic over there with 3 tracks on the same topic so i decided to split them to avoid confusion....(also its really hard finding anything when theres about a million pages to leaf through)

so the old topic will contain the original scaley track and the catalan village stuff (still continuing...i'm picking up the benches and railings tomorrow from the laser company) . and the 1:43 plane stuff can be placed here for convenience.

so to recap...the idea is a single lane rally track set in a (sort of )abandoned airfield used until recently by josep hernandez (brother of the farmer in the catalan village track) for his illicit operations. he has recently been found out and sent to the clink, meanwhile his irresponible nephew (the runaway catalan son) jordi junior, runs the roost...however his friends leave a lot to be desired and things soon go pear shaped!

before long the airfield becomes a playground to all the local low life who use it for their evenings entertainment, be it burning , shooting or joy riding.

so the track is flat, and surfaces are all textured (mud, rubble, airstrip, weeds etc) and the old abandoned planes are used instead of trees and buildings as the punctuation for the scenery.
also it is all at 1:43/48 scale, meaning a whole new set of rules for me to learn the modeling.

also worth mentioning, some of the planes are scrapped ww2 stuff whilst other slightly more modern stuff was used for the illicit trading

errr thats about it.
i've started on the actual layout modeling now (platerboard paste for texture) and the routing has been done on 2 thirds of the track, heres an over view from yesterday

·
Lars Ole
1,626 Posts
I like the title a lot :)
should appeal to a younger audience :)
It should allow for some rowdy comments and obscene language.:)
I'll be following it with great interest.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I've got deja vu again. But it's a good move to split this off to its own thread. It deserves it. Or at least the idea does. And we all have little doubt that the final product will be well and truly worth the little time we dedicate to reading the thread.

Now, wouldn't it be interesting to truly be able to follow the time put in on a track build. The physical input isn't that difficult. You know well enough when you're physically working on the track. But if you could keep a tally on how much time is spent planning the track when you should be doing other things. I know I'm not disciplined enough to work it out from my build. Do you think anyone can?

Congratulations on the birth of a new thread.

Embs

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Great idea to give this track a topic of its own sig. It's looking good too: the density of abandonned planes and, vehicles and equipment looks great!

Brad

·
Registered
177 Posts
It looks awesome!! It reminds me of the episode of Top Gear when May was riding with Ken Block sliding the rally car around the airport....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (alaskaracer1 @ 17 Nov 2009, 20:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It looks awesome!! It reminds me of the episode of Top Gear when May was riding with Ken Block sliding the rally car around the airport....

tell me about it!!, the whole story of the track starts on page 9 of the other thread (see signature ...the catalan village one) via nicholas cage in con air, to ken block, to donuts and then by surprise back to top gear...its a long story and mostly unplanned!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
sig .. the best things in life tend to happen unplanned ..

I just happened to stumble on some pix of the CarreraGO!!! Subaru on my HD. Here's a couple ..

Bought second hand, sans rear wing [*] dirty pre-cleaning ..

Looks a wee bit better .. as you can see, plenty of room to add & tinker with some lead weights ..

Nice detailing, eyh? ..

*Carrera has some *extra* goodies/accessory-packages for some of the cars. Consisting of braids, pin, rear wings, mirrors, bumbers etc. Look here>> .. Carrera Go Ersatzteile>> Ersatzteilubersicht GO>>

So .. now you'll get one and it's re-painted as Ken Blocks Sub 'till friday noon? .. although I can't believe the Cat is the same as in your previous postings. How do you do that? Build and paint that fast? Clone yourself?

-- ron --

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats got me thinking ron..can't have been right, i'd just set the plaster paste and the date on the foto was the 15th, i think i started the paint on the catalina straight after, and finally finished it last night (although possibility of patches of primer here and there, the decals have been scatched to bits since that foto too

i'll try and start doing some idea of time scale like ember suggested although i think it might just make people mad!...being self employed i have become very good at multitasking, and as house and workshop and bar are together it makes hobby life quite easy.it has been learnt though, , it was not innate, at university i used to get stressed if i had to make beans on toast and a cup of tea at the same time!!
so the interior was already painted and glued in on the 15th....
start here, the wings took ages (1 hour, because i didnt have a decent red or yellow ,and the red tint that i used reacted to the acryllics, and rubbed off (giving actually a great effect), all sealed with matting varnish.
decals and gluing wings to fuselage, another 1 1/2 hours, bloody glass canopies, 1 hour!!, final dirty weathering, 10 minutes

final tinkering and stuff (scratching sealed decals etc ) 10 minutes late last night

in the meantime the air strip has been rattle canned black to out line the grooves that have been put in, should be ready for dry brush and catalina put in position tomorrow....need to find the damn grass stuff for the cracks in the concrete slabs!!

see you tomorrow sig

ps carrera go now do the actual new block subaru style i believe which'll be the one to repaint!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok nipping over the atlantic and into the workshop paint booth! hooray ! i've painted the air strip a so my lovely catalina has a place to sit..also i've put the black widow back in her spot pending weeds etc...the oily soil around the widow is still a bit wet, it should dry a bit lighter..to me the colours arn't particularly mexican but i don't really like ocre on its own

so same technique as the catalan cobbles, spray black (or whatever bese colour go want and t5hen VERY dry brush with various tones over is, then glue in the bigger cracks that appear and fill with sawdust soil, very easy and quite good effect

as for weeds i've had to go out and buy some 1:43 scale weeds!....a finer paint brush!...the brissles on the other brush were too coarse, cant wait to get planting around the burnt car (hence burnt weeds ) and the widow

hope you like

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Wow, that's turning out really nice! Thanks for sharing. What kind of braid will you use? It would be nice if it blended into the scenery more than bright shiny copper. Magnabraid might blend better. Looking forward to seeing it in operation!

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I reckon, that you are about to get a job in Hollywood. Having scenery elements which are non-static (like smoke) is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
luigi go to post 214 on page 15 of the other thread (catalan village and you'll see the smoke machine set up for the burnouts which will be attached to the 'burning' car
bill..i know the copper gives me the fear but not as much as re routing all those curves, copper its gonna have to be

cheers guys sig

·
Lars Ole
1,626 Posts
QUOTE (sig @ 19 Nov 2009, 17:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>luigi go to post 214 on page 15 of the other thread (catalan village and you'll see the smoke machine set up for the burnouts which will be attached to the 'burning' car
bill..i know the copper gives me the fear but not as much as re routing all those curves, copper its gonna have to be

cheers guys sig

you just re-route with another bit using the original slot as a guide would be easy, question is how the drywall mud will stand up to it.

1 - 20 of 584 Posts