SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until a few years ago, the Model Engineer Exhibition at Earls Court was an essential part of the extended Howmet TX family Christmas. There was something for everyone. I could find a slot track or R/C car display, the children were let loose with their Christmas money and watched the R/C flying and model boats, and the womenfolk found arts and crafts things. There was even the live steam railway that the toddlers sat on for hours (while dad escaped for some serious fun). It was like an enormous Swap Meet really, with lots of odds and ends from other hobbies that you might not otherwise. And groovy tools and obscure kits and on and on.... Then it stopped. Why? And is there anything like it going on anywhere else? All the little Howmets miss it like mad. But they're not all Slot fans. Any suggestions to help a tired old Dad win his popularity back?

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Oh man, back down Memory Lane for me with that one.

Many, many years since I went. It was all Meccano and scratchbuilt working steam locos when I went last.

Blimey, we must be talking 20 years or more.

I thought from the topic header this was going to tell me the next dates.

Shame.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi howmet tx

We used to make it a family day out too. I got my first Fly Viper (no2) when they had only just come out and my RC10 B3 off-roader there. A great day out!

I think they moved it (or something similar) to Alexandra Palace after that, since when we havn't been.

We now do the NEC Racing Car show for our extended Christmas treat so you could maybe try that to get back in the good books

·
Registered
714 Posts
Excellent!
It takes a Dutchman living in California to find your local Brit exhibitions for you!
Only kidding, chaps, but it IS funny!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to get your hopes up.

The Howmet TX family went to the Sandown Park event a few years ago and were massively disappointed... It was all too serious, with static exhibits only and absolutely no slot related stuff or people to talk to. The little Howmet TXs were busting to get their hands on things and watch exciting demos like they used to do at Earls Court, but were bored silly. And there was nothing at all for Mrs Howmet and her sisters. When I asked a few exhibitors about it all, they expressed great satisfaction that the 'time wasters' and 'amateurs' - the 'non-serious' modellers had been put off, so that they could all smoke their pipes and eat their marmite sandwiches in peace. Shame, said Mrs Howmet, and I could only agree. But have things changed? I eagerly await news, as Chrissy is just around the corner. I don't want to have to take them to see Shane Ritchie in Aladdin at the Reigate Assembly rooms again. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Happy Crimble everyone.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE take them to see Shane Ritchie in Aladdin at the Reigate Assembly rooms again

I think the problem with the Model Engineering Exhibition was that, like veterans of the Great War, all those guys with, a) sheds and,
the skill to use a lath have shuffled off the mortal coil.

Regular swap meets - there are at least three a year at Sandown - offer great variety with slots, die casts, tin plate, dolls, Rupert books and what have you. No actual moving exhibits, but I suspect the insurance implications of having the public near working models would be frightening for a hobby show promoter.

Scott

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dolls and Rupert Books???

Anything's better than Shane Ritchie in Aladdin. Thanks for the suggestion- I assume I can get on a mailing list from Sandown. But the last exhibition at Alexandra Palace only a few years ago, it seems to me, and that was great. Is there anyone out there who was there? I remember at least one big slot track, a small exhibit by the North London Club, I think, and a full race series for R/C cars. It was smashing! If all the old f**ts who knew how to run a lathe have shuffled off, does that make me one of the new f**rts? How long have I got? There are so many cars I still have to build... so many cars and so little time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts