SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After showing the demolition of the old track link here now here follows a 'refreshment'.
I decided to change radically the design and conception of the project to make this a pleasant build.
This new step was named phase two. Pictures now please.

I started with a fast and solid table structure:

This is my room (studio, atelier, end everything else in one place) - The reason for this mess is because I was wiring the track and panels, sockets etc. I have also cut the boards. The plans and layout were already done.

I will return shortly with more pictures.

cheers

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All right folks!

First of, many thanks for all kind words! Per, Bill, Frank and bleep It gives me the spirits to go on

Now please, come on...I spent long years with envy of your tracks!

So sorry to keep you waiting all day long...(@Perthor) I had a very busy weekend (and month). I'll drop a few more pics now.

After the boards have been placed I routed the mdf and that took only a weekend to be done. I opted for a very simple track design without elevations, tunnels etc (unfortunately I don't know anyone nearby who enjoys slot racing [not popular here] thus there's no need to elaborate a complex layout) So I have made the build itself the first priority.
And, yes...I still do not have enough 'gold' to start a digital track, so it's important to mention it is analog.

Ok, I placed only a few challenges (I'll be racing alone 99% of the time (snif) so no panic if this might look inadequate for an experienced slot racer.

Here is the narrow part of the course. I imagined it would be interesting to have this kind of section.

While I was planning the look and feel of the track I came up with the idea of a realistic tarmac surface. So I made an experience with gray tile grout on a piece of wood.

Than I move on to apply this effect on the entire track. And here's how it was done.

I made the texture with a sponge painting roll like this.

And here how it turned out.

After the tile grout have dried I painted selant to avoid plaques and parts of the grout to detatch. A coat of selant must be applyed also on the mdf before spreading the 'tarmac'.

That's it for today. I'll come back soon to show more.

cheers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow , I just discovered your track and you go and destroy it. Looking fwd to seeing your next master piece.
Ive recently started again on Phase 2 of my slot car track.
Not as detailed as yours , but still good reasons to start again.
Mostly relating to problems with racing multiple drivers..... so here we go again
But I guess thtas why its such a fun hobby.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for watching folks,

A little more to show.

While that I built some plastic kits from Revell and Lindberg. Ford T and Coupelet and Rolls Royce phantom. I have also built the Henry Tudor House.

The Henry Tudor House is almost finished now...just need to make the roof which consumes time...lots...

cheers!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a lot gentlemen, I appretiate your words!

I've been working hard on my track these days, but first a little more updates on the scenery.

I have concentrated the focus now on the cobblestone village. I began modelling the road and pavements. Sorry about the poor quality pictures, I'm still learning how to handle these big cameras.
Here we go.

Then painted a primer gray with airbrush

Finished the cobbles with sandpaper

I'm not very satisfyed with the colour of the pavements, so I'm thinking if it'd be better to paint them with lighter shades of beige or sand colour
...any ideas?

Well while I was stucked at this point I moved to another section to make it refresh my ideas. I have used here many different materials such as tile grouts (for soil), woodland scenics grasses and noch alpine meadow grass. I'm not sure if I should put crash barriers at this turn.
...but the result was very satisfying.

I made these trees with home made fine turf (stained sawdust and floral foams) and polyfiber from woodland scenics.

thanks for looking!

Leo

·
Greg Gaub
15,412 Posts
Fantastic work, as usual.

The track is analog, so what is that which appears to be a fledgling digital lane change section?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Lovely little green corner.

Like the cobbles, but perhaps not as much life in them as on the last track. How about a touch of dry brushing in a pinkish tone, a colour that is a light version of the roof colour?

When you make your cobbles, how do you attach the Das to the MDF? Is it just pressed in place while wet? Have you had any issues with it lifting and cracking as it shrinks and dries?

Embs

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi,

Thanks folks!

@Greg
Indeed the track is analogue but the reason of that lane changer is very simple. I have two lane changes in my layout (one LC is simple and the other, seen on this picture, is able to be configured) so the idea is to make the track lengh longer when there's only one driver, in this case the car will travel on both lanes.

@Ember
For me the cobbles look ok, but I like the idea of dry brushing ...but I may try it with a very soft one as I don't want to see any marks of it on my cobbles. The problem is actually on the side walks. I was thinking about painting the pavements borders with a different colour from the cobbles too, but I'm not so sure how to do it. Airbrushing don't seem to be the best idea though.

- On the Das clay, first, I paint pva glue on a small area of the MDF then I stretch the clay on an acrylic base using a hand roller, then I cut a section of the clay and glue on the MDF, just now I model the cobbles with blades. I keep repeating this process untill the road is finished, step by step, cause you need the clay very wet (you need a water spray) while making the cobbles. The good thing about Das is it doesn't shrink after it dries, and won't come off at all if you paint pva glue before laying the sections.

cheers!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts