SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

· One petunia in a field of onions
6,433 Posts
QUOTE (L.Cerante @ 20 Jul 2011, 08:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For me the cobbles look ok, but I like the idea of dry brushing ...but I may try it with a very soft one as I don't want to see any marks of it on my cobbles. The problem is actually on the side walks. I was thinking about painting the pavements borders with a different colour from the cobbles too, but I'm not so sure how to do it. Airbrushing don't seem to be the best idea though.
Leo, I'd definitely be tackling some light colour variation with a humble old fashioned paint brush if it were my track. Airbrush is great for some things... ok, a lot of things. But there are still some things, detailing particularly, that is just better done with a soft paintbrush. It will take a very gentle touch, only a little bit here and there. Don't try to build up too much colour at once. But it definitely would benefit from some colour amongst the greys of both the roadway and the side walks.

Cheers
Embs

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@Ember
Thanks a lot for the tips, Ember...I'll definitely give it a try.
QUOTE Don't try to build up too much colour at once.
This was certainly what caused the problem, you're right, I hushed to get things right. Maybe that's the key that was missing. I spent the whole weekend trying to make things look good using only airbrush...unsuccessfuly.

@Greg
That's the idea. I have plans to convert this track to digital in the near future, I'd have done it already but the parts, lcs, circuits and everything else are not available in this country, so I have to import everything and that is considerably expensive.

@Brad
You're the master and I'm only the pupil...this section wouldn't be possible without your 'tutelage'. I'm glad you like it!

cheers

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@Slot o fun

Thanks, well they (the trees) are actually made with natural branches I collected from a shrub in my backyard. I am lucky to have unlimited branches and they grow fast the whole year. I simply cut several branches (green or dead) leave them to dry for a couple of weeks and there, it's ready to receive the scenic materials. I fix a needle to its base and then stick into the ground.

I have already submitted a post about the cobblestone road, you can view it in This link. If you have any more questions just ask!

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok, I have more fresh updates! These are not shown on my website yet, so feel lucky to follow them at first hand.

I have built a little more of scenery around the Tudor house for a start.

I made a fence of balsa, a gate (that can be open or closed), gardens, vines, benches etc.

The plants are lichens I found in my garden! The reeds are woodland scenics field grass. (great material btw)

I made a parking lot at the back of the building.

Thanks for looking

Leo

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Leo,

Simply stunning! I love the detail and the depth on everything. The realism is absolutely amazing.

I do have a favor to ask though! I just got my static grass applicator in the mail and am about to embark on that adventure. I love how your grass looks and noticed that you mention several layers of material are used. Could you let us know the method and in what order you did the layers? That is the exact look I'm hoping to achieve.

Thanks!

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi folks! Thanks!

@dreinecke
Thanks for your compliments! Well, I like to build in scale what I see in nature, so the grass areas you're about to make can have many different looks depending of what you want to reproduce.

In my case, I wanted to have a rather dry soil and summer (+ - sun burned look) grass. I first modelled the terrain. I have used styro sheets (glued with pva glue) to make the elevations than I made a mixture of white plaster + tile grouts of different dirt colours. After applying this mixture I have made marks to the terrain, dig marks, bumps etc.
After that, I loaded a sprayer bottle with liquid water based sealant and applyed to the terrain. Than I sprinkled many different types of tile grouts of different dirt colours. I have used a hard brush to blend the different tile grouts ad libitum. Let it to dry for a day than used the same sealant to cover the area where I'd lay the grass. With the sealant still wet I applyed 5 different colours of static grass - burnt grass, light green and medium green from WS and alpine meadow blend from Noch + a home made static grass (stained white flocks).
I hope this was of any help!

@Dick
Actually there's only one coat of varnish in my fence. I have prepared a magic mixture of mineral spirits+dark wax (bitumen)+ soft varnish. The balsa absorbs by capilarity everything revealing a very nice texture.

> I am fininshing a new section and will be posting news shortly!
Cheers!

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi folks,
It's been quite a while since my last update. Well, here I am for it.
I have worked hard on the scenery these past weeks and I have some fresh material to show now.

The entire track is now finally ready to be copper taped and I hope to have it done by this weekend and will be able to race on it after one year and a half of wait.
Well, the track surface gave me a hard work because I had the crazy idea to make it with tile grout so to look like tarmac (in appearance and texture), well it does really look like (and now looks really satisfying to me) but I paid a high price. If you are ever to follow this idea be aware of such hard work. :)

The cobbles have also been completed and now is ready to be taped. One detail remains...I was looking for a silver foil instead of the traditional copper tape, I think the copper tape would just look too bad on the cobbles... Anyone knows if there's one silver?

I tried to make track side tarmac gravel

This is the dirt road that I made with tile grout. It has been a little difficult to make it able to be copper taped, but I have sealed the slot borders with a very good resin sealer and the tape now will just attach perfectly. The good thing is that's almost invisible.

The outskirts of the village

I came back to my home town (Ascot, uk) last autumn and took this opportunity to pick up some 'toys' at London hamleys. I found these telephone booths at a souvenirs shop...

Thanks for looking!

Leo

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry about the broken photos I really don't know what happened ( as I can see the photos here
), well here's the post resent,...I don't know if it is possible to edit it, well, at least I coudn't find the way.
I'm linking the pictures now from photobucket.

QUOTE Hi folks,
It's been quite a while since my last update. Well, here I am for it.
I have worked hard on the scenery these past weeks and I have some fresh material to show now.

The entire track is now finally ready to be copper taped and I hope to have it done by this weekend and will be able to race on it after one year and a half of wait.
Well, the track surface gave me a hard work because I had the crazy idea to make it with tile grout so to look like tarmac (in appearance and texture), well it does really look like (and now looks really satisfying to me) but I paid a high price. If you are ever to follow this idea be aware of such hard work. :)

The cobbles have also been completed and now is ready to be taped. One detail remains...I was looking for a silver foil instead of the traditional copper tape, I think the copper tape would just look too bad on the cobbles... Anyone knows if there's one silver?

I tried to make track side tarmac gravel

This is the dirt road that I made with tile grout. It has been a little difficult to make it able to be copper taped, but I have sealed the slot borders with a very good resin sealer and the tape now will just attach perfectly. The good thing is that's almost invisible.

The outskirts of the village

I came back to my home town (Ascot, uk) last autumn and took this opportunity to pick up some 'toys' at London hamleys. I found these telephone booths at a souvenirs shop...

Thanks for looking!

Leo

· One petunia in a field of onions
6,433 Posts
Ah, the man who reminded us all of the joys of DAS returns. Fantastic Leo, as always. I know I saw someone using silver coloured tape at one stage, (maybe Thib?) but I wouldn't know from where they bought it.

I do hope someone has called an ambulance for the poor fellow stuck under the little red car at the top of the picture.

· Registered
346 Posts
Leo

Well that was certainly worth the wait

Not sure where to start........absolutely stunning! I'm struggling with mixed emotions - amazement and excitement at what you've achieved, coupled with a good dose of depression that I'll probably not get anywhere near this standard and level of detail on my own track. You've set the bar very high.... and it's a pleasure to see!!

Sorry I can't help you with the silver tape - someone far more experienced out there may know more.

Have you got any kind of overview shot of how it all fits together?

Don

· Registered
346 Posts
QUOTE (L.Cerante @ 20 Jul 2011, 21:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, well they (the trees) are actually made with natural branches I collected from a shrub in my backyard. I am lucky to have unlimited branches and they grow fast the whole year. I simply cut several branches (green or dead) leave them to dry for a couple of weeks and there, it's ready to receive the scenic materials. I fix a needle to its base and then stick into the ground.

Going back to a previous post, and apologies for coming over all botanical, but do you know the name of the shrub you've been sourcing your trees from? If so, my wife may be surprised by my sudden interest in planting up the garden, completely oblivious to my hidden agenda

Cheers
Don

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.