SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I believe it´s time to show some achievements I´ve been making with my track on a new thread.
I hope you enjoy all stages of this build which is a very complex build, at least I think so,
then progress comes slowly, but never stops. I pay a little for my inexperience too..
Well thinking that way I have adopted Cervantes´ proverb "Fair and softly goes far" as the modelland project´s main philosophy.

Now let´s get technical,
Only after the track pieces were cut and assembled I realized I should have made it wide enough for some tail drifts.

So an extention has been added to the turn. I have also built the walls with two 3mm MDF strips so it could be bent.
Fencing and lighting will go soon. But one step comes after the other.

The Barbican building has been levelled down to the track surface so it gets on the scale.
The tudor house will also be lowered. The hill climb can be spotted very far from the camera.

A nice turn next to the tudor house

A fast bend at the slopes of the hill.

More turns and elevations

some columns still need to be cut

First gear?

Now we got on top of it. 70cm higher than the village level.

A light at the end of the tunnel...

This is the village centre...at least where it will grow.

well, thanks for following my track.
I hope you enjoy it. Any comments are most welcome!
L.Cerante

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
This is going to be a very nice layout! I like the track plan and the elevation changes, and the buildings you have shown in the photographs are absolutely stunning. What a good basis for some dramatic scenery work. I can't wait to see this track develop.

Thanks for sharing.
Brad

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
Wow, Leo. I must say that again, WOW

That is one hell of an elevation change, and I love it. Can't wait to see that section with all the scenery in place.

There is a road in the area I work in just like that, and now every time I go up it (or down) I will be thinking of your track

Great photos,
Mike

·
Tel
4,144 Posts
Layout looks great, buildings look great, another track to follow, be sure to keep us regularly updated

·
re member
4,336 Posts
I like this and will watch for further updates.

It has taken me sometime to translate the quote from Capt.Cook but I agree and would like add "bruddy far kurnall"

John

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello everybody,

Thanks for all comments, I´m very glad you like my track!
Making this huge track is a great adventure to me!

#Oldozbloke and Munter
I love quotes...err I´m not sure what cap Cook meant.
seems positive though.

#Jon
Yes, these buildings are hand made. Although they look simple unfortunately this is not a quick scenic item to build.
It takes an enormous amount of time to make, that´s why I´ve only made two of them. The third is on the way.
If you´d like to follow the tutorial to making this building here´s the link: The Barbican building Tutorial

#John´s slotracer
Thanks for your comment!
Don´t worry those buildings are very hard! Maybe they look fragile in the photos, but they´re really really hard!
The crash barriers around the building will only be scenic. They won´t protect efectively from any impacts...well it won´t be necessary though. Both buildings are positioned so that there´s no way a car can hit them from a straight trajectory. It will hold!

#Brad Korando
Thanks for your nice words! I am too very anxious to get working on the scenery. "Al freir de los huevos lo vera" would say Cervantes.

#Mike
Always good to spot you in the forum! I knew you´d say that! I remember you told me you just love elevations, tunnels etc, That steep climb will be dedicated to you then. The scenery will go when it is time. Here goes Cervantes once again: No arrojemos la soga tras el caldero...Let us not throw the rope after the bucket.

#Savage
Thanks for your nice words. I´ll do my best to keep you up to date!

#Bleep
You are right when you see that problem. There are some parts of the circuit you can´t easily collect deslots. I´ve been thinking of building an extension arm with a claw for nice distance pick ups. Hope it will work.

I´ll be back when I have something new to show. Hope it will be soon!
wish me goo luck!

cheers!

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (L.Cerante @ 11 Dec 2008, 19:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is the village centre...at least where it will grow.
I just noticed the little bench next to the Barbican! Those type of details will make this village centre so cool to watch grow. What buildings and scenery do you have planned for the centre? I must admit that I have mixed feelings about my crossover (and you've got two)! From a scenic point of view, it's fabulous. But from a racing point of view, there tends to be some carnage -- you expect it from kids but you'd be surprised how many adults like crashing!

·
No1 super guy
1,667 Posts
QUOTE (L.Cerante @ 13 Dec 2008, 14:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That steep climb will be dedicated to you then.

I'm honoured mate

I have spotted something on your build that could be slowing down progress. You are using 'slothead' screws to fix down the track. You need to switch to crosshead (phillips/pozi drive), that will surely speed things up
You could them drive the screws in with a power tool

Cheers Leo,
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
QUOTE (Miker @ 13 Dec 2008, 21:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm honoured mate

I have spotted something on your build that could be slowing down progress. You are using 'slothead' screws to fix down the track. You need to switch to crosshead (phillips/pozi drive), that will surely speed things up
You could them drive the screws in with a power tool

Cheers Leo,
Mike

But Miker, everybody knows that slot head screws are best for slot tracks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi folks!

#Bil
Thanks for your comment!
I made that little bench after spending a lot of time making rough wood work, you know, the basic structures of the track...I thought I should exercise my delicate side on a short brake and put my crude instincts aside for a while.
It came out interesting exept for the legs. Indeed I won´t let any little space without at least some small detailing. And I know I should never put more than the necessary.
- For the village centre I have one building under construction at the moment (just got a break priorizing the track) the Old Weavers inn.Photo here . I want to create a country side looking village with some victorian post boxes, telephone booths, traffic signage, some manholes, shops...everything you can find at those little villages.
- I love crossovers!!
I don´t mind if it will be a place for some carnage, I only wanted to have some blocks of buildings and I´ll be probably be the only driver to race here anyway, don´t know anybody around who enjoy slot racing.

#Joegraphix
I´m following your track with great interest too. And I think we had the same idea when we decided that two crossings would provide an extra excitement! One more thing, as you can see, the track lenght is about 30m so the probability of two cars crash there is small.
- The first coat of grey paint will go today on the flyover section if I can get the surface ready in time.

#Mike
Sure you are right. The only thing is that I´ve got thousands of flat slothead screws before I started it all...well I want to make that investment worth something.
This is one of the prices I´m paying for being inexperient. But thanks for the hint!
Indeed slot head screws combine best with slot head racers.

I´ll be back soon when I get further.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.