SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
provider of comestables
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened to me last night.

You pull a small lead out in your heat with at least one hot car a straight behind you. its going to be tougth to keep ahead needing all your concentration.

Now most driver positions (IE where you plugin and race from) are on a straight where you do not expect people to come off and ours is the same however the red lane seems to occasionally jump out seeing a car roll to a stop infront of the "drivers".

So there I was desperate for a good result needing every neuron to keep in the groove when this Lotus with a Red insulation Tape rolls to a holt at my position. What Would you DO?

I suspect many in the top flight would keep going, there is no autopilot on my controls.

Now then what if the same happens five times over the heat when is enough enough?

Dave

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
The first time is sporting. Subsequent times leave it, the racer concerned should have adapted accordingly just the same as the green lane bump coming over the bridge.

Nil desperandum Dave.

Allan

·
Registered
576 Posts
Unless you're assigned as a marshall for that spot in that heat, ignore and keep driving.

Surely you can't be blamed for other people's inferior driving skills, as you just happen
to be the innocent by-stander with your own mission to complete.

Nothing moral here, only a competitor in need of cleaning up his act in the driving department,
so as not to disturb the rest of the drivers with his repeated mistakes.

Oh, BTW: Merry Christmas & Peace on Earth.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Personally,I'm not that desperate to win-you could say thats because I'm so used to losing. Remember,it is only a hobby. I would have a word with the driver concerned and see if I could help him to improve his driving-give him the benefit of my YEARS of experience......
TED...

Merry Christmas indeed!

·
David J
3,182 Posts
When you say a car jumps out occasionally is this because of a track issue or a driver issue?

Anyway, first time it happens, I'd help and put the car back, second time, I'd leave it for someone else to do, third time, I'd pick the car up and throw it accross the room and then punch the offending driver in the nose..!!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Hi Dave
Your story begs the questions

What is normal practice with marshalling where you race?
What are the written rules (if any) about marshalling where you race?

At a lot of clubs
(1) It is clearly the marshals responsibility to marshal the car
(2) It is clear the other drivers have NO responsibility to marshal other people's cars when they are driving
In those circumstances, its obvious what is expected. If your racing is different to that, there's an interesting discussion...........

If the 2nd place guy just a few feet behind you suffers a delay through absolutely no fault of his own, maybe there is a sporting argument for stopping and proceeding again that same few feet ahead when he's back on. The practicalities of doing that are pretty doubtful, but perhaps there is a sporting reason for for tying to.
If some back marker has de slotted and isn't being marshalled, I cannot see a sporting argument for stopping and letting a third car through to win.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dave,

That was very sporting of you to marshall whilst driving.

However i would expect that whilst driving all Marshalling should be left to the Marshalls.
If they cannot retrieve the car in a timely manner then a track call should be made.

Although most people would say that they go to the club just to race and wining is not important, when a win comes along then it is most satisfying.

Sounds like you have a track problem anyway if cars are deslotting on a straight which needs resolving.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Racing is racing, marshalling is marshalling.

Jackie Stewart once said that "a lot of the time a race can be won before the flag drops".

What he means is that a driver can do a lot for themselves by preparing a car to race and be resilient enough to last the distance to give you the best chance of winning (or at least finishing).

From what you've described it seems that this Lotus wasn't properly set up for the race.

Thats their problem . . . not yours.

Yes its only a hobby, but racing is an absorbing pastime that you work hard to afford. If someone else can't prepare their cars well enough to last the distance why should you stop to re-slot a car or get it going for them.

As Jack Brabham also once said "Motor racing ain't about after you mate"

You race on chum and sleep well!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I just take a step backwards to allow a marshal to nip in front of me to sort it out. That seems the gentlemanly thing to do and I wouldn't want someone in a leading position (like Dave's scenario) to suffer in the interests of partially correcting my mistake. Otherwise it's as damaging as taking the leader out in the middle of a corner.

But then I'm of the fundamentalist belief that if the marshalling is too good it doesn't do anything to encourage drivers to stay in the slot. And you need to go through the lap counter to count your lap, none of this messing adding laps to people who couldn't stay in the slot before the last corner.

Coop

·
Registered
361 Posts
Personally I'm a very inexperienced and poor slot racer. I have taken part in two club races. If my car repeatedly stopped in front of the participants I would definitely prefer aborting my race rather than face the humiliation of sabotaging the race of others. So, if I were the driver of the red Lotus in question I would rather see you ignore my car after recovering it 1-2 times.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
With a view to solving the real issue - can a bit of quick re-wiring be done so that the red driver station lines up with where the car pops out?

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
OK lets put the lid on this.

There is no problem with the track at Scale Models, if you gun it coming off the bridge you will deslot, simple drive with some respect to the track and no problem, loads of us do and we do not deslot. Dave is a gentleman and reslotted the offending car too many times. The car was being driven by a young hot shoe who wavers between sheer brilliance and a total disregard for the track.He will hopefully learn that racing is a long game you cannot win it in a lap!

Thanks to everyone who has put some comments on this thread.

Best wishes for Christmas to everyone on the Forum.

Eric

·
provider of comestables
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, but yes my point was is what would you do. Its christmas and all that so I felt a bit of a moral question was in order.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts