SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
No m8! you must be seeing things! It's just a Mirage
ahem..

Didn't there used to be a slot plane set with the track painted blue (1970s?). I know there was one using clear perspex rails with wires in them or similar. No doubt some of the wise ones on SF can verify this

Mark.

Hmm...slot jets...they'd all have to have 16D motors or at least Cheetahs in them - oh there I go again.. the Cheetah was a south african version of the Mirage.
If you have any spare evo1 motors then you could have slot Cessnas

·
Registered
153 Posts
well...

that original but it seems to be very well finished!!!

and it's a french one like me

see the other réalisations on he's web site!

elicend

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Actually, Schumi lost!

Michael Schumacher's Ferrari was beaten by an Italian Air Force fighter jet in a drag race held in Grosseto, Italy, at the end of last year. Driving the F1 F2003-GA, Schumacher lost 2-1 over three distances - 600, 900 and 1200 metres - against a Eurofighter Typhoon piloted by former Italian astronaut Maurizio Cheli.

Schumacher edged the Eurofighter over the shortest distance but was no match for the jet's superior acceleration in the final two races. The race was however held in pouring rain.... and the Eurofighter got airborne after 400 metres...

The F2003-GA is capable of reaching a maximum speed of up to 369 kph, while the Eurofighter can reach almost 2,450 kph -- airborne, of course! The jet weighed slightly under 21,000kg. The Ferrari weighed in at 600kg.

The contest was a re-enactment of a challenge that first took place in 1931 when Tazio Nuvolari, driving an Alfa Romeo, took on a Caproni 100 biplane at Rome airport. Fifty years later, in November 1981, history repeated itself when Gilles Villeneuve in a Ferrari 126 CK raced an F104 jet.

Didn't Carrera make slot jets?

Kind regards

Russell

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I'm amazed every time some manufacturer or another runs their latest creation against some strike fighter jet.

Dodge and their Viper did it, Corvette did it and a few others too.

It's blindingly obvious that sooner or later the car is going to be left standing...

Salut elicend, I missed you earlier posts on DAVIC. Welcome to the forum. Did you know that SlotForum was actually French?

Très bien, non ?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (Russell Sheldon @ 15 Mar 2004, 19:22)Michael Schumacher's Ferrari was beaten by an Italian Air Force fighter jet in a drag race held in Grosseto, Italy
I'm surprised that Schumacher didn't weave and push the Jet off onto the grass!!

David

·
Registered
153 Posts
QUOTE Salut elicend, I missed you earlier posts on DAVIC. Welcome to the forum. Did you know that SlotForum was actually French?

euh.... i don't know if i have to speak french or english lol
[je ne sais plus si je dois parler français ou anglais]

what do you mean by QUOTE SlotForum was actually French

you are french too?

Bye
Elicend

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Nuro @ 15 Mar 2004, 21:51)I'm amazed every time some manufacturer or another runs their latest creation against some strike fighter jet.

Dodge and their Viper did it, Corvette did it and a few others too.

It's blindingly obvious that sooner or later the car is going to be left standing...

Lamborghini put a Countach against a Mirage I believe. The Countach led for the first 400 metres.

Physics is wonderful isn't it? All this stuff about power to weight ratios and inertia etc. A 1/10 scale RC glow engine car will waste an F1 on initial acceleration. Like wise a slot car will beat an RC car off the line, assuming they all set off at the same time.

That's partly why bikes are so much fun! Taxi drivers get jealous of bikers because bikers are the only road users who can get through traffic quicker than them
Plod & emergency services excepted.

Just looking at the Eurofighter photo, it's a shame they didn't use a single seat Typhoon. It weighs less so it would REALLY shut down that Ferrari.

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Acceleration? How about current HO scale drag cars. The scale 1/4 mile is 20.625 feet for 1/64.... and they are now hitting speeds of over 100 REAL MPH within that space! I tried to watch a video of it, but you can't even see them!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Amazing stuff! I wonder what G they are pulling? Let's see I probably can't work it out...
100mph = 528000 feet per hour. That's 147 feet per second rounded up. Distance covered is 20 feet say so it takes the HO car 0.136 seconds to cover that distance.

Nope got it wrong, that the time taken at 100mph, not from a standing start. bugger! My brain hurts... The G force would be BIG!

Mark.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hang on... acceleration is measured in units per second per second (that's seconds, squared). Accleration due to gravity (freefall) is 9.81 m/s^2 which converts to 32.19 feet/s^2. So to accelerate at 1G you need 32.19ft/s^2.

Back to the car - it is travelling at 147 ft/s after 0.2 seconds so it's rate of acceleration is 147 divided by 0.2 = 735 ft/s^2. (ft/s/s remember)

Divide 735 by 32.19 to give you the G forces:- 22.83G !!
If I've got it right.

You might survive being in the car, because of the very short time the G is acting on you. I think Ejection seats have a momentary peak G of 25.

Please someone who's into maths and physics help us out here

Mark.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Yup, you probably would survive that, but not for much longer than .2s.
The official Nasa test pilots who do runs on a rocket sled pull some mighty big G's but their brain detached from their skulls and a few of them went blind for a day.
But you'd recover eventually...

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE brain detached from their skulls

My wife claims that happened to me years ago...

The deceleration is even worse though - 100 MPH to 0 in the space of 12 to 15 feet. Or maybe that would just put your brain back in the proper place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts