SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos of the chassis of the MRRC 4wd Merc first available in the early 60s.

It is shaft driven via all 4 wheels and the front wheels steer requiring tiny CV joints incorporated into the front drive train. They are so tiny I don't know if you will be able to see them all that well in the pics. All four axle bearings are ball raced, as are the front and rear armature bearings.

To compensate for the difference in front and rear tyre circumference the axle ratios at each end are different.

Mr.M

P.S. Any tips from you David Bailey types out there on how to get good close ups of tiny mechanical components will be gratefully received.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Now that is one very trick piece of slot car engineering!
Doesn't matter to me whether it even worked or not (did it?
), I'm just amazed that they actually produced such a complex and interesting design.

Thanks, Mr. M, I had never seen one before!

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Great post, Mr M!

I loved the 4-wd MRRC cars, but they were difficult to assemble! You even had to assemble the ball bearings -- I wonder how many people gave up after dropping them on the floor! Still, I had all three - the Mercedes, the Novi-Ferguson and the Felday 5.

Here is some reference material on the Mercedes, courtesy of VSRN Online:-

Sheet 1

Sheet 2

Sheet 3

Sheet 4

Sheet 5

Sheet 6

Sheet 7

Sheet 8

Sheet 9

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Yes- those were really great cars, but dead in the water when Mabuchis and pro-racing and all those other things that we enjoyed so much at the time kicked in. It's like looking at a de Haviland Comet and marvelling at the cutting edge technology of it- just before the Boeings got into their stride....
But I bet they're good fun to run still, if you don't want just to go as fast as possible. I wish I still had my Novi-Ferguson, too. I remember running that in a 24 hr race...

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
i wonder if the producers of cars would be as brave as MRRC today where then, it did not cost all that much ,great fun to build,but the finished item veried so much due to the skill of the builder, some being too loose, some being tight, either not going at all or floping and chatering around the track. i would like to see one built correctly with modern tyres just to see what could have been, iv still got the scares on my knees grovelling after the many bits i could not hold on to mp

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Amen!
There was even some talk of banning these when they came out (ca 1964) because they would have an "unfair advantage"!

Well... I got one (the re-issue Mercedes I think) about 10 years ago and still haven't finished putting it together! Did okay on the ball bearings (can't say we weren't warned!), but those press on wheels just scare the heck out of me...

Fortunately for my curiosity, last year I picked up a 4WD Novi, built by somebody who knew what he was doing.... didn't have time to sort it out for the Bordeaux vintage meeting, but at least tried it, and the thing ran like a scalded cat! Very fast in a straight line, and not bad in corners, but didn't have time to sand the tires, or maybe even replace them with silicones, so it was a bit slippery. It didn't have the stock diamond treads, but some kind of period air tires (MRRC), which were still pretty soft....

Absolutely brilliant cars! Somebody mentioned they weren't too scale, but the Novi just seems to have the right look for me! (anyway, Novis never could win the big one....). And one of the Italian guys scratched an oil tank out of aluminum and his Novi (2WD) looked great.

In a sense, you could say that Vanquish is just as daring, with their differential... or Ninco with their suspension. No sense being vintage snobs about the whole thing. Seems one of these guys should try a 4WD with steering now - new technology should make it affordable.

Still looking for the Felday, but already have a 2WD version, and maybe I should try sticking a K's in there for the 4WD... (STV of course!).
Don

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Thanks Russell - is that the 4WD version? And if so, have you tried it out, or any of the other 4WD cars? Looks a bit toy-like from that angle, but close up they look fine... Did these things ever enter a real race? I have the Model Cars article on the prototype, but that's about all.

The 4WD Feldays are pretty rare - even Roger Greenslade admitted to me that the one in his book is a 2WD...

Anybody have any ideas on replacement tires for these? either the thinner ones on the Mercedes, or especially the thicker tires (sorry, tyres, euro-forum and all that) on the Felday?
Don

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I always loved those great MRRC 4WD cars, especially the Felday sports racer that is so detailed. I have one of the old 1960's Merc W154 in the white color, and it was put together by a careful person and is completely original and a beauty.

Those were the days when new ideas and hesitant engineering produced some very interesting cars, not all of them very efficient but many of them visually very attractive.

Call me a nostalgic but the modern plastic chassis leave me a bit cold when compared to that of the MRRC 4WD.

Regards,
Philippe

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (dgersh @ 24 Feb 2004, 06:50 PM)Did these things ever enter a real race? I have the Model Cars article on the prototype, but that's about all.
The Felday-BRM 4 wheel drive did race but I don't know too much about it. This photo is from the 1966 Boxing Day Brands Hatch meeting where it won the Formula Libre event.

It had snowed that day judging by the picture, just as well it had 4 wheel drive.

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts