SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Options: The orange Cheetah came 2 ways.

As the Tuff Ones # 2 ...

... and as a plain unmarked version available on a promotional dealio. Packaged which with a section of track.

This was one of the plain-jane orange examples that had been ruined. Orange paint, a vintage FE, and a G-plus chassis to the rescue!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's....SOOPERSCHNOZZ

As much as I promote the tyco bandwagon, I prefer to be in denial over the "s" cars.

(thx, nonetheless, MM)
Tee hee ... and... guffaw. I knew someone besides me would have to gag. I merely said they did one, I didnt say they did it particularly well.

There were lot of "Fun House Mirror" cars back in the day.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tread Tire

CB, I gotta agree. That chrome nibblet is pretty dang gumball.

They came a lot of different ways. The high plenum Rochester dual throttle body "fuel rejection" was pretty exotic. They also had the single body rejection like the Corvette, and of course all sorts of "carbonator" arrangements.

Under close scrutiny, Aurora's version has always looked like a pair of double pumpers on a single plane high rise, IMHO. Pretty common for the period. Jeez I'm old!

Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
COOL Bob! The 650 was soooo under-rated for the street. I got a great Corvette/650 Holley story for another day.

Mesh Audio equipment Grille Carbon Circle

Memory lane? Lets not forget the Cal Custom chrome velocity stack with the cheesey 1/8" reticulated foam filter and the bird screen. It was a good place to set your beer, cuz at least your beer actually helped block some of the dirt. giggle

Looking in the rearview mirror tunability was always the issue. The difference between WAAAAAAAAAA! and BUUUUUUUwaaaAAAAAA!

All that prehistoric "carbonater voodoo" is now pretty well lost to the ages. Back in the day you'd have to buy a whole new carb to just to change a quad's venturi size. Interchangeable venturi inserts didnt come until much later. I shudder to think of all the juicers that went to the scrap heap, because EVERYONE blames the carb first, instead of the maroon that sized it; let alone jetted or adjusted it after the fact. A brief moment of silence if you please, for all the wheezing setups that were black flagged through no fault of their own. The irony being that even back then, all the info of what worked best for an application was common knowledge.

I just put a quadrapuke into working order for my neighbor's boat. Beyond all usual fuzz and scuzz, the accelerator piston was seized. Fortunately his bother had a tote full of cores we could pick from.

I cut my teeth on eurotrash, so I still get a kick out of straightening out a rack of side or down drafters. Many of the Weber offerings were unique from the get go, using incrementally sized venturi inserts to adjust your CFM with in the working range of the throttle plates. Ya do have to take the tops off though. The nifty part ... ? The idle, main, and pre-atomizer jets (squirter) are all accessible from the outside, so changes can be made on the spot without dis-assembly.

I could go on for days on carb carnage, and still dabble a little; simply because it's gravy bench top work, and one of those mysterious lost arts. Unless the housing is "shafted", most can be saved.

Now a days the kiddees clean up their throttle bodies and airflow meters, then turn right around and oil up their custom K&N air filters that lay just upstream of the hot wire. Indicating that induction still remains misunderstood.

Hi jack over!

Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

From a way back disc. Low-pro tires really exacerbate bodies with wheel well issues. The Aurora's Cheetah was no exception. Very little if any material can be removed from the the screw posts before the armature gear binds under the cowl. The blue example sits on one of my T-jet drop chassis.

In the land that time forgot, period butchery dictated that we substituted an AFX chassis using only the front screw, by timming off the basket handle mounts. Better fit, lower CG, and more horse power.

While Dash makes chassis, the rear axle height remains unchanged; thus so does the ride height. At a glance, the Dash Cheetah coupe appears to be a better match for the hiked axle heights of the JAG chassis'.

Still looking for the pics of my early Dash Cheetah roadster. A nicely done model, available for T-jet or TOMY.

Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Bob,

Best guess is that it's a no brainer, simply because my orange metallic Cheetah sits on an AFX G-plus. The wheel base of the JAG will be more complimentary.

Kens nifty purchase got me to thinking about the Cheetah again, which admittedly was way back in my timeline. All things come full circle, and new products came along with it. Time for a revisit to take a gander. I'll give it a shot and post up in the not to distant future. The JAG chassis is on the bench.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

Cheetah in vintage trim. Here's normal ride height of the Aurora.

An absolute rocket on the JAG chassis. Velocities not suitable for a vintage styrene collectible ... LOL

Looking right up the gut. The Dash offering will also have plenty of space to lower the tail; just watch your screw lengths!

Unfortunately there is no middle front axle position offered, but you can sneak one in if you dont like the stretched look.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My pleasure as always Bob. Answering the questions nobody asked.

I blame Ken! The suspense is killing me. Just marking time until he gets his new green model all dolled up. My favorite color.

It was great fun to dust off the kit with my Cheetahs in it. Shamefully, they hadnt been run in a year. Other than a set of motor brushes, everything was in good order.

"Manof kent" reminded me, I really need to break down and get a pretty red one.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts