Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve been lurking these foruns, just getting used to all of this new stuff and not being able to add much to any discussion. Now i´ve chosen to come out of the closet and yell to the world: Yes! I´m a sloter! I´m a sloter and I´m ok, theres nothing wrong with that. I´ve allways been a sloter traped in a mans body!

First time ever in my life, I went last week to my city´s slot club. I had no idea what people were racing there and I was afraid that my first contact with the "pro" side of the hobby would put me in touch with a bunch of social inepts and nerds. Now I must publicly express my apologies to all sloters: I was wrong. You guys are as nerd as I am (I don't know if that's good or bad
) Of course there was the odd nerd hanging around, but I got positively surprised since after 5 minutes I was allready making friends, talking about music for sloting and drinking beers with new aquaintances (sp?). A very enjoyable night that already made me go back and, from now on, i´ll try to go there every week.

A few notes:
Everyone in this club plays non-magnet cars, wich I really enjoyed driving and found much more fun then the magnets I use at my home track. Now i´ll have to start tunning diferent cars acording to I want to run those at the club or just at my hometrack. Its gonna be fun to tune those, i´m sure.

They do use very high RPMs motors. All the cars, except mine of course;), were using the slot.it 30.000 (don't know the name of the model). In the slow parts of the track, my nc 5 was almost side by side with the other guys, even if I was already pushing a little too far. In the longest straight, I could see the car speeding up in the beginning, reaching its max speed halfway, where the other cars passed me by and reached the end of the straight at a much faster speed and with much more braking power then I had. I´ll need to upgrade both the axle, perhaps with a diferent gear ratio (9:27, presently) and the engine next time I go to the shop.

Getting set for the Le Mans Series that the club is running, there were loads of the new slot.it porsches, the audi R8 and Ninco BMW´s LMP´s. It was cool to see 4 BMW´s V12, because that one is also the car that i´m seting up. Nice to see my choice for racing was correct, but it was kind of disapointing not to "stand out in the crowd".

I´ll have to choose a controler. I´ve been waiting for the new fly´s to reach our stores but I still don't know if I would go to the parma thing instead. The fly feels very nice, i´ve already tried the first "non-pro" version at 45 ohms, and it sure feels confortable. But Parma has more of a reputation for the availability of its spares and I don't want to wait three weeks for the odd bolt or spring to come from fly, and that's if they really sell it. I don't indtend to buy the economy model anyway, since i´ve already tried both trigers and I don't like the metal one.

That's it for now, i´m glad to be here and i´ll be seeing you guys around the track.
Fragoso

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Hi Fragoso, welcome to the Forum

It is true that gear ratios will change depending on the type of circuit the car is on.

Club racers, what do people do - do you change axels between home tracks and club tracks

Or just the cars

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Welcome Fragoso!

Won't be long before you are hooked into the 24hour race scene ehh? Where abouts IS your local City anyway?

Nuro - we have two sets of cars of course! It is a good excuse for having doubles anyway

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
nuro, last time I went for an event where we were racing not as teams I took 9 sets of tyres 6 sets of rims, 2 axles, the option for every gear ratio, 2 fully set up cars and 4 different motors! so yeah guess we do chop and change a little.

I do believe were all off to North Staffs on Sunday, need to ring jim still nope he just rang!

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Welcome Fragoso
looks like you are already in pretty deep in to the hobby.

For home racing I just have standard parts in my cars that I've done the basics too ie glued and trued tyres ie no slot-it stuff in them. For club racing I have 1-2 cars prepared for each class and if slot-it stuff is allowed then its in them otherwise I just make sure I've got nice, true and tight bits from the cars basic spares.

In terms of keeping up with the slot-it motors (they are prob 29k) - first change the gear ratio on the nc-5 car to something like 2.5 or 2.7 to 1. The nc-5 has lots of torque and is able to cope with a lower gear ratio which will give you more top end speed (at the expense of some acceleration and braking). Run the motor in esp if it is new (either running it around at home or out of the chassis) - once the motor is 'run-in' you'd be suprised at how many extra rpm it delivers.

good luck and I'm glad the club scene was friendly enough to draw you in.

Matt

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
controllers - if you can, try professor motor - I can't praise them enough and use one for home and club racing all my cars. GetSlotted stock the basic version which can be upgraded. The controler upgrade parts and higher spec PM controllers are avail direct from the man himself at professormotor.com

However the guys that run PM must be unindated (well that is the excuse I'm making up for them) as I put an order in over 10d ays ago and have not heard a peep.

Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
swiss, my hometown is Lisbon, Portugal, and thats where the club is. If you ever want to come slot by our sunny beaches just gimme a call

MTucker, thats what i was thinking too: keep some for the home track and the ones that really stand out, like these Ninco BMW and the Subaru ProRace, will be "kited" to have fun in the club. I dont expect to be winning any races soon, but there´s still some more experience and tunning to work on untill i break the 1,5 sec gap that keeps me away from the other guys lap times with the same car. About those ratios, those would need me to change pinion right? If it does, i would rather wait for the slot.it axle and engine to reach the store, cause i will be changing the engine anyway. I have available one of those 24 teeth axles from scx, wich would give me a 2,6 to 1. i can try that too, just whille i wait for the "real deal"

About the controler, i would rather not go for PM since i dont know any store around here that sells it. i rather keep to a brand thats quite available here, like parma and fly. The spare parts availability is something that worries me after breaking 2 ninco controlers.

all the others, thanks for the warm welcome

Fragoso

1 - 8 of 8 Posts