Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lurked, hijacked threads, and gathered ideas and tips from this forum for YEARS. I now have the time to both post and more importantly, work on some of the zillion kits, bodies and ideas that I have stacked away on shelves, drawers or just loosely in my head. I thought I would start with something simple like a John Bacon body--you know the kind of thing you throw a coat of paint on and are ready to the races!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A number of years ago I did a trade out with Derek Cooper for an Alps Printer--something that was new at the time but extremely expensive in Austrailia. Thus this is one of those.

The pictures are somewhat self explainatory. I have opened up the cockpit and will be using a LM early dirver, the exhausts are brass, the body came with a leather strap over the bonnet but the car itself is without strap so that is being removed and the louvers recut where the strap covered them. The dash area has been hollowed out and the decal made of the 1:1 dash and intruments. Working on giving better detail to some of the cast parts like fueling caps etc. All in all its been fun so far.

The chassis will be either the metel unit sold by AB Slot or a PS32-that decision has not been made yet. Wheels will be PP large wires and I will run some Ortmans that I had made years ago. Sent them the Scalex wheels and tires and they made the first of those repos from my wheels. Motor will be an NC 1 as I have a slug of them that I purchased from Aloy when everyone was getting rid of them for more power. Gearing will be Slotit and the guy racing it will need much improvement before he is any good at all!!!!!

People always shy away from the 'glass' bodies but if i wanted something simple I would buy a RTR!!

Not really looking for "OOOOS and AHHHHs just paying back to all those who helped and put up with the endless questions!!
Will keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
I commend you on taking the road less traveled with your undertaking, my that looks like a serious amount of work ahead of you. I was lucky enough to bag a Bacon ERA Type E this weekend and am very curious to see how well it was made. Good luck on your endeavor. Ken

·
re member
4,019 Posts
Nice project Mr Towboater.

The Bimotore looks like a real beast.

I have a few John Bacon bodies. I am currently working on a Type D Auto Union.
His bodies are light,detailed and very workable.

Keep up with the progress pics please.

Regards
munter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PeteN
NC1--the early Ninco motor used in their old classic Ferrari 166, Porsche 356, Ferrari Testa Rosa, Jaguar 120, etc.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi,
Nice project you got there going. I've the same car body waiting to be build. I'm really interested to see the progress in your work, keep us posted. Perhaps a good tip, these pre war racers seem to be very simple to build, until you start to build one, the best advice I can give you is to take your time, gather as much information as can about the car, and fixate one one version of the model, because there where many changes made, and even restored models are not always as perfect as they should be. There is a lovely small film on You tube (link), perhaps you know it alreaddy.
Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Towboater

Looks like a real cool project dude.

Those NC1's have to be one of the best motors ever !
Why they stopped doing them is beyond me.
I looked to score one for a project recently & was dismayed to find my favorite motor was no more.

Cheers

Si.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nuvolare--I have found a picture with the hood strap, but as you said pick your model and stick with it!!! I have now cut in the panel lines for the rear bonnet (they were not present in the casting), repbuilt one of the side panel air scoops and trying to make a decision on attaching mirrors which appeared on some (including your video) but not others--the question is to make them and attach them to the car or to mold them on the car with milliput--decisions ' decisions!!. I putter around with it on a daily basis but have no real pressing reasons for rushing the completion.

I work on one of the 'glass/resin bodies at a time and also on a restorations/detailing project. The detailing work is now being done on a Scalex Tyrrell 007-the car is painted and decaled but needs engine detail and some rear suspension detail--putter, putter,putter.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

I know that it will come as a surprise to all that today is going to be wet and cool in the Pacific Northwet so it is a good day for the bench!!
Finishing the bucket seat today and exhaust guard so my LMM does not burn an arm. After fitting the guard, the exhausts will be primed and painted ready for mounting. They will be secured to styrene and then caulked into place. One of the reasons I use the caulking is for weight and the fact that it can be removed if necessary. I mount chassis's with wood block so those are on the list for today also. I seal the block with super glue so further applications remain on the surface for adhesion, glue the block to the body and them use silicon caulk to secure the whole mess where I need it. I decided against the mirrors so the exterior of the body is pretty much ready for the first coat of paint. I am not overly pleased with my paint mix and will try to make it a bit "redder" while things are drying/ setting up today. I am going with the deep red that appears on the museum car at Donington. I will take some pictures of the seat and exhaust guard after forming them. Decals are done including the dash. And wheels have safely arrived from Peter Sussex--Thanks Peter they are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tyres will be Ortman Bentley/Alfa Scalex re-pops.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am alive and well and actually have made some progress---looking at the light down the tunnel a ways yet but getting brighter. Here are some pictures of the car as it was painted, and with some detailing done. The wheels are NOT Peters but rather Scalex Bentley wheels. I do however like the look of the drums on these wheels. As I get the others painted they will replace the Scalex and actuall be ROUND!!! The pipes are attached and the driver (without hands or wheel) is merely posing for the picture. All in all I sould say that although very time consuming (now that I am retarted whats the hurry) the Bacon and soon Tony Condon firerglass bodies are rewarding as they come to conclusion. I have a Austin twin cam that is yelling at me from the shelf and will come along soon. Are they perfect scale models--I doubt it but they are intended to race and not just sit for admiration. If I want a shelf model I will order a scale model by someone that does that for a living. I did manage (what a surprise) to run it before painting and it is quite driveavble and although not the fastest horse in the stable it is lively enough for this old man. Enjoy the pictures and aI will post the finished shots in a week or so--I hope.

Attachments

·
Mike
629 Posts
WAY to go !!!!
superb , only criticism is the driver look like he appealing to the gods
mike

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike he is!!!! From what I understand these things were real beasts to drive. Acutally he is not attached yet and will adopt the proper attitude when confined!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts