SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today saw the begining of the Pioneer test track for the Brooklands Slot Car Festival.
I will try and keep you updated, hopfully this will be a quick build. Now, where've I heard that before?

The first module is built.

Lanes are marked out.

The 3 main modules together.

More to follow..........

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We managed to get some routing done today, in between the showers.

We also figured out a way to keep the boards level at the track surface.

We should getthe routing finished tomorrow and then the hard work starts!

·
Registered
175 Posts
When you rout a track like this do you do the lanes free hand? I have never done a routed track before but want to make a hill climb addition to my scaley digital track layout. I liked very much the way Graham Lane integrated the two types of track over in Italy but need to find out how routed tracks are done.

Thanks Carl

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yipee! The routing is finished!

Half of the track is painted with undercoat and the slots are sealed with PVA/water mix.

Copper tape will be going on tomorrow.

This is how we cut the bends. The jig is fixed at the centre point of the circle and just runs round to create the slot you need.

Some shots of the whole thing.

We're starting to panic now about finishing, we think it looks so good that once the copper is on we fear we won't stop "testing" it.

Hope your enjoying watching the progress and that lots of you will be at Brooklands to have a go.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I see you're using the "clip-on" Scalextric Sport track, I suppose it does save sore fingers when you are pulling the catches off on the old style!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (col_de_turini @ 15 Jul 2010, 17:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,
Will you be selling the cars as well as letting people try them? If so will there be a discount available to SF members?

There will be Pioneer cars for sale at Brooklands. Most of the dealers will be selling them I should think.
As for discount, you will just have to visit the Pioneer track and find out. Who knows, it could be your lucky day!

QUOTE (jmurray01 @ 15 Jul 2010, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I see you're using the "clip-on" Scalextric Sport track, I suppose it does save sore fingers when you are pulling the catches off on the old style!

No, the track is routed.

·
Tel
4,144 Posts
I look forward to having a spin on that, I am sure the kids will too, make sure the already damaged cars are out for them !

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
I agree, the Pioneer test track is looking great.

Cant wait to try it out, you never know, it might even be with an "Assassins" Charger , now that would be "Cool"

Hope to meet up with you at Brooklands Jules.

All the best.. Martin De'Ath.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the favourable comments guys.

There are two reasons for putting the tape on before painting, one, to make sure that the surface is flat that the tape goes onto. If you use textured paint then it just gets too bumpy. The other is so the when the paint goes on the track surface and the copper are the same level. No need to route the tape in.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Looking great, fantastic to see Pioneer building a track to bring to Brooklands - a great way to demonstrate the cars and will no doubt be an extra great feature at the event for visitors.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (Pioneer @ 16 Jul 2010, 22:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking A1 with a cherry on top. Great job. Thank you.

Jules

I see no cherries? Just copper tape and paint.

Not much to see today, unless you like watching paint dry. Oh yeah, the electrics are done too.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.