Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Good Evening Gentlemen,

Here are the rules and regulations for the inaugural 2011 Norwich Revival Meeting, on Saturday the 29th of October 2011, at the Norwich Slot Racing Club.

The event is a double class meeting, for Saloon Cars, and the main event for Pre-1960 Grand Prix cars.

There is a limit of 28 drivers, the current entry list can be found at the bottom of this post.

Entry Fee:
£6 per class, pre-payed,
Please make cheques out to:
Norwich Slot Racing'

And Sent to:
Norwich Revival Meeting
Slot Racer Magazine
1 Chappshill Way
Mulbarton
Norwich
NR14 8GN

We can also accept direct bank transfer. Please PM me for the account details.

Your cheque will indicate your confirmation of entry, and payment received entries will be posted within 48 hours of the payment being received.

SALOON/TOURING CARS OVER 2ltr

Cars must replicate 1950-1969 (inclusive to the end of 1969) Saloon cars made anywhere in the world.

Entered cars must have competed in one of the Saloon/Touring Car Championships at the time, for example the WTCC, ETCC and BTCC. Trans-Am liveries are eligible.

Free chassis design/material choice

Only one motor is allowed to be mounted into the chassis.

'CSCRA motor rules, but no Neo motor magnets'

Motor must be positioned the correct way up in the chassis as intended and must not be positioned on its sides to aid magnetic grip.

Chassis are only to be inline or sidewinder only. Anglewinders are NOT allowed.

As usual with these meetings, bodies must be of hard plastic, fibreglass, resin, wood, metal or similar material. Vacuum formed bodies are not permitted.

Guide, wheels and the chassis should not be visible from above,

Tyres should be black rubber only, or Ortmanns no silicones or sponges. NSR tyres and Slot.it's work well on the grippy NSR track.

OVER 2ltr CARS FROM 1950 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1962
Front wheels/tyres: Minimum diameter of 19mm, minimum width of 5mm
Rear wheels/Tyres: Minimum diameter of 21mm, maximum width 7.5mm
Ground Clearance: 2mm
Maximum Overall Width: 58mm

OVER 2ltr CARS FROM 1963 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1969
Front wheels/tyres: Minimum diameter of 18mm, minimum width of 5mm
Rear wheels/Tyres: Minimum diameter of 20mm, maximum width 9mm
Ground Clearance: 1.5mm
Maximum Overall Width: 64mm

UNDER 2ltr SALOON CARS
Rules are as above, however the following sizes must be adhered to:

UNDER 2ltr CARS FROM 1950 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1962
Front & Rear wheels/tyre diameter: Scale for the car being modelled
Front & Rear wheels/tyre width: minimum width 5mm, maximum width 7.5mm
Maximum Overall Width: 54mm

UNDER 2ltr CARS FROM 1963 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1969
Front & Rear wheels/tyre diameter: Scale for the car being modelled
Front & Rear wheels/tyre width: minimum width 5mm, maximum width 9mm
Ground Clearance: 1.5mm
Maximum Overall Width: 58mm

GRAND PRIX CARS
Cars must be dedicated Grand Prix or Formula One cars only. No Indy cars, or Voiturette's.

This class is more focused on scale cars, cars should be 1/32 scale + or - 2mm. All cars will be scuteneered.

Inline motor configuration only.

'CSCRA motor rules, but no Neo motor magnets'

Motor must be positioned the correct way up in the chassis as intended and must not be positioned on its sides to aid magnetic grip.

Free chassis design and material choice

No streamlined cars are eligible.

If a car, such as the Lancia D50 is entered, please do not fit it with a full width chassis as in sports cars.

As usual bodies must be of hard plastic, fibreglass, resin, wood, metal or similar material. Vacuum formed bodies are not permitted.

If an obscure car is entered, the entrant must provide drawings/pictures and or dimensions, the onus will lie with the builder not the scruteneer as to authenticity.

The guide must not be visible when viewed from above in a straight ahead position,

Wheels should have correct period inserts. No pictures of insert please!

Tyres should be black rubber only, or Ortmanns no silicones or sponges. NSR tyres and Slot.it's work well on the grippy NSR track.

CARS UPTO AND INCLDUING 1951
Front Tyres: Minimum diameter of 21.5mm
Rear tyres: Minimum Diameter of 24mm
Maximum tyre width: 7mm

CARS FROM 1952 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1960
Front tyres: Minimum diameter of 19mm
Rear Tyres: Minimum diameter of 21.5mm
Maximum tyre width: 7.5mm

Concours d' Elegance (Applies to both classes),
The peoples vote system will be in place for this event. Each entrant will be issued with a voting slip, one for each class. Each car will then be marked out of 20 points, with 1=Worst, 20=Best.

These scores will then be added together to give the top three concours cars.

The top 3 cars in the concours d' Elegance must complete at least one full lap of the course at a reasonable speed.

Please can I make a note to the entrants. It has been noted at various retro meetings that people tend not to put enough effort into the presentation of the car, especially if they are building a potential 'A' Final car. So, please can competitors try their best to produce clean looking models of the respective cars.

Accommodation:

Premier Inn Norwich Airport, (1.7miles from the club)
Delft Way,
Norwich Airport,
Norwich,
NR6 6BB
Tel: 01603 428648,

Holiday Inn Norwich North, (1.6miles from the club)
North Cromer Road,
Norwich,
NR6 6JA
Tel: 01603 410544,
www.hinorwich.com

Oaklands Hotel and Restaurant, (5.7 miles from the club)
89 Yarmouth Road
Thorpe St Andrew
Norwich
NR7 0HH
Tel: 01603 434471
www.oaklands-hotel.co.uk

Transport
KLM regularly fly to Norwich International Airport from Europe, and there are various internal flights that fly to and from Norwich International.

If an entrant is going to be flying in, one of the club members will be able to come and pick you up, and bring you to the club.

The train station is five miles away, and transport arrangements can also be made

Club Address:
41 Hurricane Way
Norwich
NR6 6HE

The Track:
Lanes: 4
Lane Length: 140ft, (the largest in the region)
Corners: 17
Surface: MDF finished in gloss
Rails: Braid, magnetic
Timing: DS Software, running through a digital display

Finally, this meeting is being sponsored by SLOT RACER MAGAZINE, the premier magazine for slot car enthusiasts, who will be covering the event in the magazine, as well as offering a free years subscription to the magazine for the winners.

www.slotracermagazine.co.uk
We already have 13 confirmed entries for this event. With spaces for 28 drivers available. Please register your entry through this thread if you would like to enter this event.

The current entry list stands at:

Bill Charters
**** Kerr
Pete Shepherd
David Collins
Eddie Grice
Mike Wall (TBC)
Fred Gallone
Clive Mills
John Parr
Ken Mason
Troy Coleman
Jon Grainger
Gerald Lambourn
Rob Wallader

Hope to see you all in October!

·
Registered
486 Posts
This not menat to be facetious, but, as someone who would struggle to put a Hornby 'snap - together' kit into the form the designers envisaged....... can one just 'pop - in' to see the event as an interested spectator?

Sounds a great event, and as its just so local to me, it would be a shame to miss it?

Scallexkid

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Scalexkid

Yes of course spectators are most welcome, and it would be great to see you at this event.

I will try and see if I can secure a spare car for each class, and if so, you would be more than welcome to race.

Andy: Your now on the list, we can speak on Monday RE car building.

Regards
Jon

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up Our Jon,

One would be obliged if one's application were to be looked upon favourably !!.

vbr Chris A.

ps: if one's electronic controller wires are long enough, then one would feel obligated to marshall as well as compete !!.

This comes as an adjunct to one's experience at one's own club .

CJ.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Hi Jon,
Sorry but please withdraw my entry for this event.
Perhaps an explanation is required here.
You may remember that when you originally contacted me about the event my reply was,
'I would be pleased to support your event provided that cars built to CSCRA standards would be eligible'.
Whilst I am pleased to see that you have chosen to use the basic CSCRA class dimensions I was dissapointed to see that you then added a host of local motor rules and restrictions.
I can understand that you have probably done this because of concerns about the Magna Braid at the Norwich track.
However, the result is that almost all of my existing cars are now illegal for the event.
It may, at first glance, seem that it would be fairly easy to replace the motors with new ones that are within the rules.
Unfortunately it's not that simple.
In many cases a standard motor will not fit into the chassis.
In other cases it would mean ripping out the interiors and making new ones to clear the new motors. Something I have neither the time or desire to do.
I must stress that all of the cars in question comply with CSCRA car standards and have been raced over the last few years at many events including 'Earlybird', the Donington Grand Prix, the Wellingborough Classic, the Oaklands Park 'American Trophy', Yorkley, etc, etc.
I guess I could cobble together a couple of ready to run cars that would be eligible but that hardly seems to be 'in the spirit' of the event.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sounds great Jon, I have never done one of these scale meetings before so looking forard to it (I think!). Shame you can't make it though ****...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Ey Up ****,

I am somewhat bewildered by your retraction.

Having competed against your cars on several occasions, I would be intrigued as to which of the requirements rule out your cars !!.

"Inline motor configuration only.

Motors must remain sealed and un-opened; any evidence of cans being opened will be viewed as tampering with the motor and is illegal. (No Neodium Magnets)

"

Please elucidate, either on here or by PM.

VBR Chris A.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Hi Chris,
QUOTE Motors must remain sealed and un-opened; any evidence of cans being opened will be viewed as tampering with the motor and is illegal. (No Neodium Magnets)
All of the motors in every one of my cars has had the motor opened.
In some cases simply to move the motor shaft through the armature a little more.
In others to fit a ProSlot Euromotor endbell. This also requires a little shortening of the can.
In yet others the can has been shortened significantly in order to fit a full length driver into the cockpit.
I have only one car with a neo magnet. The Donington winning Mercedes W125, which is fitted with a 1960s Atlas open frame motor. I am quite happy not to use this car.

I did have a close look at all the cars that I might have used at this meeting and concluded that either a standard motor would not fit into the chassis or that the interior would need significant re-working.
I will not enter an illegal car and try to slip it by the scrutineer so concluded that I had to either withdraw or build new cars and I just know I won't have time to build anything new in time.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
A few questions

Are RTR cars allowed?
Are the bodies from RTR cars allowed on different chassis?
Do paint schemes have to be real paint schemes from the period?

Are Hornby 1969 Camaros allowed as the roofline on these is far to high compared with the real car.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Julian,

In answer to your questions:

- Yes RTR cars are allowed, as long as they fit into the regulations.
- 'Free chassis design/material choice'
- It would be ideal if it was a real livery it if possible, however as long as the livery is period (not a bright pink pre-war Auto Union or Mercedes for example), that should be fine. If you have any doubts, run it past me by a PM.
-The Hornby Camaro is fine, just watch the width regulations

Jim: You are now on the list,

Regards
Jon

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Thanks for the answers Jon, I'll investigate 1950s GP cars and then let you know if I'm going to enter (I know nothing about GP cars) if there are places left.

It looks like pre-war GP cars are allowed, or have I read the rules wrong.

·
fred
1,608 Posts
Hi Jon,

I am not sure I will make this event. Its a bit too close to the presto park event, and I don't think I can do 2 slot meets in a month.

fred

·
Jim Moyes
4,998 Posts
QUOTE (jonnynobber @ 7 Jul 2011, 20:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone know what engine the MK11 Zephyr/Zodiac had fitted in it??

2.5 litre straight six.

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
A small update, the current entry list is as follows:

1. Bill Charters
  2. Dan Ellis
  3. Pete Shepherd
  4. David Collins
  5. Chris Adams
  6. Eddie Grice
  7. Mike Wall (TBC)
  8. Clive Mills
  9. John Parr
  10. Jim Kelly
  11. Ken Mason
  12. Troy Coleman
  13. Jon Grainger
  14. Gerald Lambourn
  15. Rob Wallader
  16. Andy Grear-Hardy

This makes the current total of 16 drivers for this event,

12 spaces remaining, so please register your interest to secure your place.

Regards
Jon

1 - 20 of 89 Posts