SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Good Evening Gentlemen,

Here are the rules and regulations for the 2nd Norwich Revival Meeting, on Saturday the 29th and Sunday 30th of September 2012, at the Norwich Slot Racing Club.

The event is a double class meeting, for Saloon Cars, and the main event for Pre-1960 Grand Prix cars.

There is a limit of 28 drivers, the current entry list can be found at the bottom of this post.

Entry Fee:
£6 per class, pre-paid,
Please make cheques out to:
Norwich Slot Racing'

And Sent to:
Norwich Revival Meeting
Slot Racer Magazine
1 Chappshill Way
Mulbarton
Norwich
NR14 8GN

We can also accept direct bank transfer. Please PM me for the account details.

Your cheque will indicate your confirmation of entry, and payment received entries will be posted within 48 hours of the payment being received.

SALOON/TOURING CARS OVER 2ltr

Cars must replicate 1950-1969 (inclusive to the end of 1969) Saloon cars made anywhere in the world.

Entered cars must have competed in one of the Saloon/Touring Car Championships at the time, for example the WTCC, ETCC and BTCC. Trans-Am liveries are eligible.

Free chassis design/material choice

Only one motor is allowed to be mounted into the chassis.

'CSCRA motor rules, but no Neo motor magnets'

Motor must be positioned the correct way up in the chassis as intended and must not be positioned on its sides to aid magnetic grip.

Chassis are only to be inline or sidewinder only. Anglewinders are NOT allowed.

As usual with these meetings, bodies must be of hard plastic, fibreglass, resin, wood, metal or similar material. Vacuum formed bodies are not permitted.

Guide, wheels and the chassis should not be visible from above,

Tyres should be black rubber only, or Ortmanns no silicones or sponges. NSR tyres and Slot.it's work well on the grippy NSR track.

OVER 2ltr CARS FROM 1950 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1962
Front wheels/tyres: Minimum diameter of 19mm, minimum width of 5mm
Rear wheels/Tyres: Minimum diameter of 21mm, maximum width 7.5mm
Ground Clearance: 2mm
Maximum Overall Width: 58mm

OVER 2ltr CARS FROM 1963 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1969
Front wheels/tyres: Minimum diameter of 18mm, minimum width of 5mm
Rear wheels/Tyres: Minimum diameter of 20mm, maximum width 9mm
Ground Clearance: 1.5mm
Maximum Overall Width: 64mm

UNDER 2ltr SALOON CARS
Rules are as above, however the following sizes must be adhered to:

UNDER 2ltr CARS FROM 1950 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1962
Front & Rear wheels/tyre diameter: Scale for the car being modelled
Front & Rear wheels/tyre width: minimum width 5mm, maximum width 7.5mm
Maximum Overall Width: 54mm

UNDER 2ltr CARS FROM 1963 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1969
Front & Rear wheels/tyre diameter: Scale for the car being modelled
Front & Rear wheels/tyre width: minimum width 5mm, maximum width 9mm
Ground Clearance: 1.5mm
Maximum Overall Width: 58mm

GRAND PRIX CARS
Cars must be dedicated Grand Prix or Formula One cars only. No Indy cars, or Voiturette's.

This class is more focused on scale cars, cars should be 1/32 scale + or - 2mm. All cars will be scuteneered.

Inline motor configuration only.

Only one motor is allowed to be mounted into the chassis.

'CSCRA motor rules, but no Neo motor magnets'

Motor must be positioned the correct way up in the chassis as intended and must not be positioned on its sides to aid magnetic grip.

Free chassis design and material choice

No streamlined cars are eligible.

If a car, such as the Lancia D50 is entered, please do not fit it with a full width chassis as in sports cars.

As usual bodies must be of hard plastic, fibreglass, resin, wood, metal or similar material. Vacuum formed bodies are not permitted.

If an obscure car is entered, the entrant must provide drawings/pictures and or dimensions, the onus will lie with the builder not the scruteneer as to authenticity.

The guide must not be visible when viewed from above in a straight ahead position,

Wheels should have correct period inserts. No pictures of insert please!

Tyres should be black rubber only, or Ortmanns no silicones or sponges. NSR tyres and Slot.it's work well on the grippy NSR track.

CARS UPTO AND INCLDUING 1951
Front Tyres: Minimum diameter of 21.5mm
Rear tyres: Minimum Diameter of 24mm
Maximum tyre width: 7mm

CARS FROM 1952 UPTO AND INCLUDING 1960
Front tyres: Minimum diameter of 19mm
Rear Tyres: Minimum diameter of 21.5mm
Maximum tyre width: 7.5mm

Concours d' Elegance (Applies to both classes),
The peoples vote system will be in place for this event. Each entrant will be issued with a voting slip, one for each class. Each car will then be marked out of 20 points, with 1=Worst, 20=Best.

These scores will then be added together to give the top three concours cars.

The top 3 cars in the concours d' Elegance must complete at least one full lap of the course at a reasonable speed.

Please can I make a note to the entrants. It has been noted at various retro meetings that people tend not to put enough effort into the presentation of the car, especially if they are building a potential 'A' Final car. So, please can competitors try their best to produce clean looking models of the respective cars.

Accommodation:

Premier Inn Norwich Airport, (1.7miles from the club)
Delft Way,
Norwich Airport,
Norwich,
NR6 6BB
Tel: 01603 428648,

Holiday Inn Norwich North, (1.6miles from the club)
North Cromer Road,
Norwich,
NR6 6JA
Tel: 01603 410544,
www.hinorwich.com

Oaklands Hotel and Restaurant, (5.7 miles from the club)
89 Yarmouth Road
Thorpe St Andrew
Norwich
NR7 0HH
Tel: 01603 434471
www.oaklands-hotel.co.uk

Transport
KLM regularly fly to Norwich International Airport from Europe, and there are various internal flights that fly to and from Norwich International.

If an entrant is going to be flying in, one of the club members will be able to come and pick you up, and bring you to the club.

The train station is five miles away, and transport arrangements can also be made

Club Address:
41 Hurricane Way
Norwich
NR6 6HE

The Track:
Lanes: 4
Lane Length: 140ft, (the largest in the region)
Corners: 17
Surface: MDF finished in gloss
Rails: Braid, magnetic
Timing: DS Software, running through a digital display

The current entry list stands at:

John Parr
Ken Mason
Jim Kelly
Jon Grainger
Melvyn Johnson
David Collins
**** Kerr
Fred Gallone
Anthony Bartlett (TBC)
Bill Charters (TBC)
Martin Field
Barry Field

Still awaiting replies from about 10 others, will update ASAP.

A few changes have been made for this year, alleviating the problem faced last year for entrants wanting to run in both U2L and O2L classes. If an entrant requests to run in both U2L and O2l, each driver will get 4 heats per class, with seperate ladder finals. Please also note, the entry cost of £6, entitles the entrant to run in either one or both classes, for the same price. Very generous!

P.S-This is a change of date to the original one, please can it be changed on the CSCRA calender?

Hope to see you all in September!

·
Kitbasher
4,280 Posts
For what it is worth it is pre-paid not pre-payed

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The Mustang and Barracuda are almost ready and there's a Cartrix BRM on its way along with some NSR truck tyres which I am assured will cut down to fit. Enjoyed it enormously last year especially meeting our friends from Oop North!

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Hi Ken,
Thought I'd better warn you that the Cartrix BRM is way out of scale.
The wheelbase is about 5mm too long, you will also struggle to get the track width narrow enough.
Same applies to both of the Cartrix Ferraris and the Gordini.
The following Cartrix cars do have a wheelbase close enough to scale;
Mercedes W196, Maserati 250F, Lotus 16, Vanwall and Bugatti.
It won't be easy to get scale track on the Lotus but the others will be ok.
Not sure about the Aston Martin as I haven't measured it, but I can if you want me to.
I haven't got a Talbot Lago yet so I've no idea whether it's scale or not.
Have a word with Jon before you do anything to the BRM as he may allow it as a straight 'ready to run'.

If you get really stuck for something to race I'm sure I can find you a loan car.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Damn I've already ordered it! I will give Pendle a quick ring and see if I can change it. Thanks very much for the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Hi Ken,
Pleased I was able to save you lot's of hassle.
Good of Pendle to change your order too. They really do provide brilliant service.

As an aside, this does highlight the major problem we have with manufacturers who claim to produce 1/32 scale models but don't.
Cartrix are certainly not the only offenders in this respect.

Cheers.

·
Pete Shepherd
1,694 Posts
I've already spoken to Jon as I can't make this date which is a shame as I was definitely going to come. I hope it goes well for you as it is a good days racing, well was last year!

I've also just noticed that the date shown on the title says 2011 and then 2012

Thanks,

Pete

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry John, I thought you said you were still here. Ta for letting me know

Sorry also Pete, thanks for your kind words, hopefully this year will be as good as 2011. Hopefully see you at next years edition.

I'll be posting photos of my cars when they progress

·
fred
1,608 Posts
I should be ok for this regarding holidays but I don't think I can make the saturday. What will I be missing if I just do the Sunday?

Also I may possibly run the Fiat/Seat 600 Abarth by Reprotec. The wheels are small and to scale but I don't think it would make the ground clearance unless I go 'overscale' and fit larger hubs, which I think goes against the spirit of the meet!

fred

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Fred,

Saturday is practice day, track open from 10-4ish. Sunday is race day, doors open around 8.15.

Sounds fine Fred, it's difficult to get the correct ground clearance with these small cars with small wheels, so I'll be leaniant.

Regards
Jon

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ok I now have two under two litre saloons to campaign as well as the Mustang and Barracuda in the big bangers. The 250F has arrived and has already been given a Scaleauto upgrade. I'm getting into this!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
A red Cartrix one but dunno which particular one that is - have not had time to read the box. It looks lovely but will require a bit of work to make it go well - as I know from previous experience.

The under 2 litre cars are an NSU TT and a Renault 8 Gordini. I believe these are pre 1969 so should qualify. I am thinking of putting a brass chassis under one of them. What worries me is the wheels and tyres. How can I get decent ones (particuarly tyres) the right size?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's the red Cartrix one - dunno which particular driver but haven't had time to read the box. I think it will require a fair bit of work to make it go well - but that's part of the fun!

I also have got an NSU TT and a Renault 8 Gordini for the under two litre class and am thinking of putting a brass chassis under one of them - that will be a first for me (I think that's allowed...) What worries me is getting the right size wheels (and tyres) that work on our track - they really are tiny!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's the red Cartrix one - dunno which particular driver but haven't had time to read the box. I think it will require a fair bit of work to make it go well - but that's part of the fun!

I also have got an NSU TT and a Renault 8 Gordini for the under two litre class and am thinking of putting a brass chassis under one of them - that will be a first for me (I think that's allowed...) What worries me is getting the right size wheels (and tyres) that work on our track - they really are tiny!

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi Ken,

Regarding suitable wheels, I have used these in the past on small cars, they fit nicely

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntr...;Slot%20It'

You Maser seemed to be flying last night, a few hours in the preparation suite?

Looking forward to this meeting, had some interest from our friends on the continent. Should be an excellent race. Come on guys, put your names down.

Regards
Jon

1 - 20 of 38 Posts