SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I challenge Tropi, Mecoprop, Wankel and any other nimby to have a go right now this month at a Scalextric SPORT World type experiance from home! No need to get cold and wet. Wankel, borrow some track and RMS. There are no excuses!
Call it "Euro Wars"

All you need is SPORT track and a few borders (say no more than circuit 4) and RMS. Cars can be sorted out later but surely you all have a few MG Lola's, GT40's, TVR's, NASCARS, or whatever. Has to be magnet racing though to get you used to the format.

We then simply agree on a race ciruit design, agree on a 50 lap 10 heat event or whatever, set the cars up, meet in the SCI chat room one evening, and have a go!

Only then can you say what you do and don't like about the experience and how it could be improved.

It is time to throw down the gauntlet to the big shots around here.

Heh! Heh! Are they all talk or can they really race!

Moped

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Meco,

NIMBY is an English acronym for "Not In My Back Yard" It means that you don't want anything to do with the subject being discussed. Another example would be if a person wanted to use a supermarket with cheap prices. They would be happy until the developers tried to build one next to that person's property. Then the person might turn into a nimby.. "not in my back yard"

I hope this helps...

Mark.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mecoprop, the common use of 'NIMBY' is an acronym for "Not In My Back Yard".

It describes a person or group trying to keep some desireable, or not, feature away from themselves or their neighbourhood, e.g. a nuke power plant, prison, mobile phone tower etc. along the lines of we all agree we need one, just not in my back yard.

The term is thought to have been coined in the '70's by an industrial designer in Margate UK, responding to reluctance of US model car racers to want to steer their cars around little stone castles, flower borders and other objects commonly found at racing tracks while furiously pushing buttons to manage sounds and fuel gauges.
Apparently there was a mistranslation of market research to the question "Wouldn't you just love to drive your car around and through SimulStone castles and flower borders installed tastefully on your layout?" Many American respondents replied "Not In My BrickYard" - a reference to Indy of course - but an unfortunate typographical error saw the entire US research discarded as a case of Not Invented Here and the term "NIMBY" was coined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.