SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Starting a new build so thought I would start a thread to store pics as it progresses. This is another small track (1.2 x 3.1m) will be a slower build than my last one. I am trying out the policar track for this one so have been testing painting the tracks before diving in too deep (as I cant stand black track) and I will be painting all the track before landscaping - also waiting for R2 22.5 track sections to be released so I can do the layout I want. Worse case I will use R1 sections. One thing I have noticed is this plastic is much nicer for paint adhesion than scalextric or even Carrera track. Just sprayed with rustoleum flat grey primer and using dry brush acrylics. Putting tape on etc doesn't lift it like it does on other tracks.

Attached my current idea if I have to use the R1 sections.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The helpful things is that Policar track is more than 1 lane wider in arc diameter than the same named pieces of Scalextric, and even a little wider diameter than Ninco.
So R1 is a bit more usable and actually drivable - even if only as an interim measure.

TrackSystemDiameters.jpg

I am sure you've seen it pictorially before Mike

post-3974-0-64709500-1534295309.gif

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, thanks, with a small layout I was being optimistic at avoiding R1 and it not being boring. I spent a couple of hours in ultimate racer last night trying to get the track linking with the R1 - its like a frustrating puzzle game, I did it straight away using R2 22.5's but I'm sure ill squeeze that last section together.

The helpful things is that Policar track is more than 1 lane wider in arc diameter than the same named pieces of Scalextric, and even a little wider diameter than Ninco.
So R1 is a bit more usable and actually drivable - even if only as an interim measure.

TrackSystemDiameters.jpg

I am sure you've seen it pictorially before Mike

post-3974-0-64709500-1534295309.gif

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The more you use UR3.0, the easier it gets.

Remember that the Policar track system uses a clever geometry which has each curve radii change up or down, equal to a half straight, so it is quite easy to design and build a track, then swap in/out curves of the next radius, but adding or subrracting a half straight, without disturbing the overall design.

1-layout.jpg

·
ParrotGod
9,879 Posts
I think this is the first that I see policar track painted...and I like it. it looks much better. It looks like concrete than asphalt.

I am not surprised that at paint adhesion: policar track is a plastic magnet, anything will grip on it! ;-)

R1s when mixed up properly make for interesting corners. Even Scalex R1s make for adding variety to the layout without becoming a mountain climbing thing.

I wish that Carrera had a R0 radius...their R1 is more like a R2 for all the other makers.

As for the geometry of he policar track, I still cannot get my head around it: I can see an advantage if you want to stick with 90 degree corners with constant radius...but who wants to do that?

one of the main lesson I learned is to use combinations of different radii to make corners more interesting and unique.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, its super limited but I am going to give it a chance and cross fingers some crossovers etc are released shortly, I don't have a lot of space for this as have multiple hobbies trying for space in a double length single garage. I will setup the following layout (over/under are reversed in the pic) and run it for a while without doing scenery - I've shortened the straight to allow the full borders. It allows a few areas for crossovers and also I will be adding a extension at one end of the table. Parking cars in garages is overrated anyway. Next project is hacking an arc air onto a track piece then modifying the controller for oxigen.

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
9,879 Posts
man you are doing it all wrong. You should use the full length of your tandem double garage ;-)

Just put the track on table that you can lift to the ceiling.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Try on the wife... The next project was to make my "politrack" arc air track section. I really enjoy the simplicity of the app and pace car. Huge thanks to vincedecaledo for the ninco tutorial, ninco looks easier to convert to be honest as it does not have the deep slot or general deep track like the policar (I may have destroyed a length of track in the process of learning). . Ill also put a pic of the comparison with scaley.

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=179610

key learning points..

1. remove the rails to solder and grind them. You need to grind the surface and use some flux and decent heat to solder power pickups. This track has a much lower melting point than both ninco and scalextric track.

2. go slow, you will wreck track like I did trying to rush.

3. The sensors need to be as high as possible to work well. Grind the track piece as high as possible to get let the sensors as close to the surface as possible.

Anyway, now it works perfectly and wireless controllers. I'll put some pics of what you need to cut away to make the sensors sit high enough to register cars. I have added plugs on the power leads to easily convert to a second powersupply for oxigen, the lap counter will work without the track power hooked up.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Small update - have all the track (thanks slotraceshop) for the basic track layout and have run 50 or so test laps - its a nice circuit. Next I will play around with continuing to paint the track(including the white borders), making the table slightly bigger and working on the plywood supporting structure and camber. I am also starting to 3d print some structures for the pit lane - you can see 2 doors in the pic. 3D printing is painfully slow at this size. The air unit will be under the back straight out of sight in the final layout.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another small update so I can come back and look how it progressed. I've made some subtle changes that pushes the back straight back 40mm and the straight a half length longer or so that allows me to do some better scenery, mixture of rock, grass and brick/concrete is the plan. I've also finished all the grey track, have to weather some more and then get onto the white line. After that ill start attacking the final supporting structure and bridge. I have done a few solid hours on the track now. Love the grip and how the cars behave on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did a bit in the rainy weekend. Tried the white clothing pen for the track border lines and it worked really well. Also worked out a more solid under track layout and some temporary measures to stop the cars flying off into the walls as I can actually get to full throttle on that back straight. Also widened the table to the full garage width, still need to make it a bit deeper to get the hillside I want behind the straight.

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
9,879 Posts
Looking nice...I like the curb/border colors.

Have you considered to move the track along the long side wall of your tandem garage and hinge the table to the wall so that it can fold against it when not in use?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My last track was a fold up and it brought on some limitations with the scenery side but its a good idea - im one of those weird ones that likes the scenery making as much as the racing. This is made in 4 modules currently so am planning to extend it along the wall in the future to make a L.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Still not up to the "exciting" scenery but I find this planning and understructure part enjoyable. I finished off making it so the center sections can be removed with scenery added (So I can work on modules and easily get to the back of the layout) and have starting gluing in some foam board which I use as the under structure. Also 3d printed part of the slimline garages I will be adding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Be sure to toss in as much wiring for lights as you may possibly ever want now, while it is easiest - and then double the amount.

And it's useful to divide it into at least two circuits - one become the obvious night lighting, the other, power for buildings, neon lighting, windmills etc etc - anything that you MAY want running in daytime.

........ in the words of Sledgehammer "Trust me, I know what I'm doing"

1 - 20 of 44 Posts