SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Spa-Francorchamps inspired Routed Digital Track Story

Hi,

I'm finalizing a Routed Digital track inspired by Spa-Francorchamps (normal for a Belgian guy, isn't it).

The Concept Phase :

The track is using the BLST (Best Lane Slot Track) concept developped by David Caille (http://sillage.racing.free.fr).
It contains 14 lane changers (each automaticaly managed by its own electronic) taking care, at strategic places, to give a chance to the second car to pass (outside the best lane) the first one when enough close behind and providing an anti-colision mechanism to offer a car the chance to come back on the best lane at the right moment.

BLST is independant from the Digital system used. You can look at it as a buddy managing lane changes for you. Needed when you have 14 lane changers or you better be a Jedi

The Digital system used in the first phase is a Ninco N-Digital.

In a couple of weeks, the Digital system that will be used is the Wireless "Scorpius" developped by Australian friend Rick (alias Injectorman).
Scorpius will be in charge of only one lane changer, the 15th, the one to enter the pitlane. It will of course also take care to manage up to 16 cars (but I will most probably limit myself to 8) and lap counting.

The track has been designed on CAD/CAM software.

We had to troncate the Fagnes-Stavelot part to make it fit in my space. The Paddock had also to be placed on the opposite site as there was no space left in the center next to La Source.

The CAD/CAM file was used as input on a numerical router to create the 10 pieces that are making the track.

Here are 3 pieces created by the numerical router

I've created 22 feets adjustable in height and angle to simulate the Spa-Francorchamps landscape.

Here are a few pictures of the track construction.

The Wood Phase :

- The complete track assembled on the ground. The track is 4,8m x 2,0m.
If you consider the nearly straight (parabolic) line (of the best lane in red on the CAD/CAM drawing) going from La Source up to Rivage, it measures nearly 6m.

- Close ups on the lane changers (homemade by David Caille)

- The track positionning on its feets

- A few views from La Source first and Le Raidillon in Second

The painting phases :

- White Lines

- The uniform grey Macadam from the beginning

- The artistic touch to make it a little bit more natural

- And for the BLST lisibility , I've added some tire traces

- Finaly, a global view of the track after the paint phase

- A view of the Raidillon, for the fun

The copper tape phase

- Easier with a tool like that one

- A global view of the final work

It looks more and more like a slot track
We're gonna drive soon !

- A close view on the different sections around the lane changer used by the BLST system to automaticaly manage the flippers

Some soldering to connect the different sections to the BLST electronic pieces under the table and we're gone.

A few hours later, DONE ! The cars are running.

First chrono :
Ford GT40 Scalextric (no additional weight)
Dirty Track : 7s29
Clean Track (no special treatment) : 6s41 et 20 minutes later 6s14
Clean tires : 6s07 !
Some weight in front of the car and in front of the back wheels : 5s85 (tour record today)

The Plexi phases

- Quick ground painting along the track for more realism before placing some grass and trees

- After the 1m jump of my Ferrari 512S, it was big time to put a Plexiglass fence aroud the track

- So transparent that you have to correctly open the eyes

- And the final touch with a black paint on the bottom part of the Plexi.

That's the track today.
Waiting for the World Premiere BLST+SCORPIUS ...

Yup,

DDA

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
OMG! That is simply amazing! I'm going to have to come back and study this when I've picked myself up off the floor. We'd love to see a video of the cars racing, pretty please.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very sophisticated work, dda!! I love the way you can trace the racing line thru that maze of LCs by your use of paint. Beautiful!

Count

·
Registered
423 Posts
Cool! I love the race line and all the lane changers. Interested to hear about how it is to race on.

Todd

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a digital bomb to race

Starting with 4, you nearly never take the same trace twice.
You need constant attention, anticipate what could happen and react in consequence.
It's more like a real race than traditionnal slot. Even a step further than traditionnal digital.
100% adrenaline guaranteed.

Yup,
DDA

·
Registered
551 Posts
Wow! That is a work of art! Your workmanship is first class and I really like the plexiglass safety barriers you added as well.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Wow, that looks great! I look forward to following the progress on this one. How did you build the lane changers?
Well done, keep the updates coming, oops nearly forgot my plane. Got to rush, hope it will be an update by the time I get home!
Per

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Hi

That is simply amazing! It really captues the "look" of Spa. Are you going to add more scenery, like trees along the Kemmel straight? Or maybe some pits, the list goes on. I would love a video!

Jon

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Very nice work dda. The concept is really intersting and the build quality is excellent. Thanks for sharing your work and please keep us updated as your work progresses.

Brad

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your warm support and messages

QUOTE (ferraif40 @ 8 Apr 2008, 15:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>... Are you going to add more scenery, like trees along the Kemmel straight? Or maybe some pits, the list goes on. I would love a video! ...
Jon

I will add some scenery. The Kemmel straight will be full of Fir Trees which will make it even more interesting as it will hinder the player view
There should be some sand boxes here and there like on the real race track and tire walls ...
I thinking about to create a replicate of the new Spa paddock but I've never made a building from scratch !

QUOTE (Thing-Fish @ 8 Apr 2008, 16:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love checking everyone's track and yours is probably the best I've seen in terms of racing and realism.
How many lane changes do you have there? I lost count twice trying to count and I gave up.
14 managed automaticaly by the BLST system and 1 manual to enter the pitlane

QUOTE Are you a technical genius?
No. Just a computer system engineer. The electronic genius is David Caille who invented the BLST concept and the electronic that goes with it. So if you want to build the same kind of track you should contact David (BLST on miniend.com).

QUOTE How long did this take you to make?
I don't count the hours anymore but around 12 hours to build the feets, 4 hours to put the track on its feets, 15 hours for the painting, 12 hours to cable everything, 8 hours to install the Plexi etc...
The routing of the 10 pieces has been done by David Caille with his numerical router as well as the 14 electronic devices to pilot the lane changers and the lane changers themselves. So let me share your kudos with David too.

QUOTE I also can't wait to see a video of this ...
I will prepare one but let me have some fun with the track first

QUOTE (perthor @ 8 Apr 2008, 15:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... How did you build the lane changers? ...
Per
That's the BLST secret

Yup,

Didier

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hi dda,

When can I come and try this out ?

I've been dreaming since a long time to build a track using David Caille's lane changers, but then in a Le Mans track environment...

Your track looks superb in every way and now I really want one too !

PLease send me a PM.

Cheers,

Yves

·
Registered
65 Posts
hi didier
that track is simply amazing its proberly one of the best i have seen.
i also think that the attention to detail you have done has really paid off, i also would like to see a video.
keep up the good work!
speak soon
James

1 - 20 of 387 Posts