SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
On 27th November six racers undertook a very successfull test race session for our proposed Super F1 class, which dispelled some myths, and helped us formulate this fast F1/Indy car class.

Unrestricted on the tyres except the MR1, but running stock bodies, stock motors and armatures from AFX/Tomy, Mega g's, Super G+'s SRT's and restricted (by racing on rubber tyres) MR1's going head to head it was interesting and fascinating!

Al has all the stats!!

Here are the setups run:

Mega G, as EAHORC spec, running with stock gearing and rear wheels with Silicone tyres at a finished height of .435 approx

Super G+, running stock front wheels, stock gearing with .250 single flanged Rear hubs with a finished height of .???

SRT, running stock wheels, stock gearing and silicone rears with a number of tyre sizes being tried

MR1 Narrow chassis, running with stock wheels, stock gearing with rubber tyres at a finished height of .464

The race testing was fast and furious!

The MR1, produced the fastest lap time, but was not the fastest in a straight line!

The SRT, was by far the fastest in a straight line, but proved to be a real handful for John to control!

The Super G+, was good but not quite on the pace, but it was minimal, with tweaks to the setup could be a contender.

The Mega G, not shackled by a minimum tyre height, set a very good bench mark pace as there were 3 of them, all lapped in a similar time.

In fact the lap times set by all the setups were very similar, + or - .3 of a second or less of the bench mark.

The only change that could be made imho., would be to run the MR1 on taller tyres, it was still very much a mod in F1 clothing. The change would loosen it up a little, give it more top speed, albeit having less magnet downforce therefore less grip in the twisty bits.

A tyco was tried but proved to be no match at all for the super F1 and was quickly consigned to the pit box.

Was the test a success? By the smiles on the faces it certainly was!

Will Super F1 be adopted by SCHORC?

Its in the hands of the SCHORC regulars to decide!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
It was really good fun!

The Track was ace, you had to work hard to get the max from the cars.

I was amazed at how close the racing was, My main memory was Al, John and I in the B final, All really close on track until the carnage happened.

The MR1 did have a little more speed than the others, I really had to push hard to get close to your laptimes. I think as you said if you raised the ride hight it would bring them all in line.

My Tyco (which is not slow) was not even close in testing.

The SRT, Wow, that was so fast in a straight line. It was the way it all of sudden took off. I would of loved to see what it could do at Honk.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
The real advantage for me with the MR1, was in the cornering power of the chassis, enabling me to gain a 33cm or more in the corners and of course the natural braking effect of the magnets. The tyre height change could well make a difference!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I thought having to run cars on standard tyres was something consigned to history outside of CHORC. Much better to go for 448 supertires, which on those big old wheels the MR1 comes with should be taller than stock.

Given the low turnout did everyone try each type of car, on different types of tracks? The bigger the sample and the more comprehensive the data, the more likely the right conclusion will be reached.

I won't touch the humongous irony of Tony playing around with equivalency by tyre height...

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 28 Nov 2011, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought having to run cars on standard tyres was something consigned to history outside of CHORC. Much better to go for 448 supertires, which on those big old wheels the MR1 comes with should be taller than stock.
The rubber option was chosen as it was felt that it may have loosened up the chassis a little. It may well come to .448 silicones, although I do have other silicone alternatives.

QUOTE (montoya1 @ 28 Nov 2011, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Given the low turnout did everyone try each type of car, on different types of tracks? The bigger the sample and the more comprehensive the data, the more likely the right conclusion will be reached.
No we were satisfied that the tests were conclusive

QUOTE (montoya1 @ 28 Nov 2011, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I won't touch the humongous irony of Tony playing around with equivalency by tyre height...
You have so I will answer, The performance and the tyre height for just one chassis is in question and making it taller will reduce the magnetic downforce, therefore helping to balance out the difference in cornering performance, as it is superior at present.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 28 Nov 2011, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought having to run cars on standard tyres was something consigned to history outside of CHORC.

You obviously have not read WHO's F1 rules then!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (slowracer @ 29 Nov 2011, 13:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You obviously have not read WHO's F1 rules then!

Old rules! SG+ can have replacement hubs and silicone tyres next season which is going to be very interesting. Simon got a 2012 set up SG+ into the A final last time out...I'm not bitter!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
And the Mega G?

QUOTE *Tomy Mega-G set up for EAHORC F1 class may be raced with Wizzard WS13B front end, but must have stock rubber rear tyres.

Source WHO web site

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Granted, but I get the feeling that club are moving away from that kind of thinking, not towards it, plus nobody from WHO has gone into apoplexy about equating cars by tyre heights, and then later done exactly that. Amusing turn around for sure

With the MR1, to use your phrase, shackled, the best bet would be the SRT, which is not. Apart from the Artin F it is the only chassis I have seen where a driver of equal ability can live with somebody using an MR1. Anyone going that route should look at body float, the trick is to get the body a bit 'rattly', but not so much it falls off too easily. Get it right the extra speed is quite startling.

Tony - could you print the Super F1 rules here please? After my builds for Jim and Al I fancy doing some more. Got some ideas already...

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 Nov 2011, 13:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Granted, but I get the feeling that club are moving away from that kind of thinking.

Only if everybody is running the same chassis

QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 Nov 2011, 13:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tony - could you print the Super F1 rules here please? After my builds for Jim and Al I fancy doing some more. Got some ideas already...

They are as the setups run above except MR1 rear tyre height to be .476

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 Nov 2011, 14:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't get your other comment...

If they are all running the same chassis there is no need for them to use rubber tyres.

This class is not yet adopted by SCHORC it is up to the membership to decide, so nothing is done and dusted!

Unshackling the Mega G is quite a revalation, grip is very good and the speed grip package is like a tyco on steroids!

It should be the way the Mega G is raced at EAHORC!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (slowracer @ 29 Nov 2011, 13:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And the Mega G?

Moving to silicones as well although I believe there maybe some tyre height restrictions with it too.

In my personal opinion, the only way to do it is to split it into Open Wheel and a classic open wheel which is kind of what you guys are doing already. It's been discussed darn sarf as well!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quite rightly so too, the Tyco is just too outgunned by the MG.

I see Andy has taken down the post I copied over, pity really it was a very good test and showed the potential for mixed chassis racing, good food for thought for the members darn sarf!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which is?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE (slowracer @ 29 Nov 2011, 14:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Quite rightly so too, the Tyco is just too outgunned by the MG.

I see Andy has taken down the post I copied over, pity really it was a very good test and showed the potential for mixed chassis racing, good food for thought for the members darn sarf!
Tyco? Meh! I want to race Turbos and LL-Ms and be competitive!

And as Paul says, Andy's just merged it with the last F1 thread where we were discussing a lot of chassis changes.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The only way I can think of for all chassis to be competitive is to have some kind of handicap system whereby chassis A gets it's score and chassis B gets it score multiplied by x (x = a number which brings chassis B score to the same as that of chassis A when used by the same driver) this would be hideously complicated to work out as different chassis suit different tracks and different drivers, it would also be the cause of endless bickering.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts