Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
It says that it takes 4 fps for up to 32 shots - I think the memory card comes in a large suitcase!

I have been holding out for the new Minolta Maxxum 7D (because my existing 35 mm lenses will interchange) but it isn't released yet. Probably a good thing as I cannot really afford it at the moment anyway!

Mark

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Threeracers @ 21 Sep 2004, 20:40)It says that it takes 4 fps for up to 32 shots...
I think thats the amount of info that the camera can hold before it has to write to the card. It equates to roughly 48 MB of internal memory. Writing takes a long time due to the interface speeds of the media.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
That's some serious resolution at equally serious prices!

At a more affordable level, maybe take a look at the Sony DSC-M1
'Only' 5MB, but look at that nice BIG tilt and swivel screen!
Movies too!

Expect in December at around US$600, which could mean around GB£450-500. when it eventually reaches this side of the pond.

A superbly styled piece of miniaturised design imho.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Mk2, that Canon unit is certainly nice but definitely out of my range!

Tropi, that Sony unit sounds neat, but given that it is the "size of a deck of playing cards", and that three of my fingers are the width of a card... how would I use those miniscule controls?
Most of the larger digital cameras are already a bit of a pain...

I also wonder why most makers of affordable units seem stuck on the 3x optical zoom even though they are expanding the capabilities in all other areas. The modestly priced Fuji S5x00 series has a 10x optical zoom (39-390!), and the S7000 has a 6x! Combined with their macro capabilities, you won't often wish for any other lenses unless you're a pro - and I most admittedly am not.

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
I think that the "sweet spot" in the DSLR game at the moment is the new Canon 20D and the D70 Nikon - the Canon is about $400 more but that is a wash for me because there are already 3 good Canon lens in the house - as soon as I sell off my Leica gear that's where I'm going.

(The Leica has been used once since I bought a Sony F 707) - I really enjoy my digital "darkroom"

EM

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Excellent point on size, Fergy.
They can take miniaturisation TOO far and the limit is different for different size paws. Mine are fairly small, so it isn't quite as much of a problem. I also agree with the comments on zoom range, although I guess a limited range is to be expected on tiny cams which are much less likely to have a tripod mount (is there space?) and whose buyers will be less likely to use a tripod anyway, with portabilty being top of their priorities. Zooms over x3, without tripod and without in-camera stabilization, can cause difficulties with blurring, though it's not impossible to deal with.

I feel I drifted a bit off topic and should probably message myself a good bollocking now!
But if I am going to berate myself, might as well be hung for a sheep as a goat and make it worth the effort by swiftly mentioning the Kodak DX6490 with its x10 zoom, currently listed in UK's Personal Computer World Magazine at a RRP right down to just £215. RRP can always be beaten and having already resided in their best buy section for well over 6 months at a significantly higher RRP than that, I feel this makes it an excellent choice for a budget conscious purchaser.

Now where is my DIY hangman's noose?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I love to hear about all the cool cams out there, not just the ones that suit me personally. Digital photography is really still in its infancy. But like computers, you need to eventually say "I can wait forever looking for the perfect cam at an affordable price, or buy now!". I hope I'll buy soon, cause the lack of instant moment capture and reproduction is killing me!

Tropi.... we all have different goals with this stuff..... just like slot cars and lesser important things in life!
So... it's all worth hearing about!

·
DT
5,195 Posts
The Canon might be out of range, but the S3 is very reasonable indeed.

With this camera you can fit a wide variety of lenses as it uses the Nikon F-mount. There are a large amount of Nikon and other brand lenses on the market using this attachment format.

I have a 28-80 zoom, so when shooting slot cars, I can get cool images across the track and correct perspective errors by using the zoom. Close up shots in macro mode can be made virtually distortion free too.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Nuro
Deliberately asking this question to open up discussion on focal lengths of lenses.
We can easily split the topic if this part takes off!

Your 28-80 zoom lens- is it
1. An actual focal length range on your 35mm film camera.
2. An equivalent focal length on your digicam
3. An actual focal length on your digicam

There are probably quite a few people who will find these figures and their relationship and effect to be interesting - at least I hope so!

Oh and what cameras are you actually using at present?
Your photographs have always been first class.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I use a FujiFilm S1 coupled with an AF Nikkor 24-85mm 1:2.8-4 D lens.

My photos are ok, but suffer from bad lighting. I have to compensate with Photoshop darkroom work to get them right. Lighting is sooo important.

The 24-85mm lens is 24-85mm exactly using a 35mm SLR camera. As the sensor in the digital camera is smaller that true 35mm film, the focal length is multiplied by about 1.5 giving me an effective 36-127mm. The sensor in the new Canon is true to size 35mm so there are many more pixels on the chip.

I'm no pro and I don't carry a bag full of lenses. I find that the one that I have is just about perfect for my needs.

I wish to one day get some serious studio lights - perhaps remote flash units, but I prefer to see the object illuminated before I click. Those people that take good slot car photos in my opinion use good lighting. Critically look at GetSlotted's photos to see what I mean. They use the right lights.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
I'm a happy guy!

My wife has just bought me an Olympus C-130 Zoom, 3.2 megapixels, 3x optical zoom, 3x digital zoom - £125 in Currys!!

It's a fun camera to play with and I'm starting to get some reasonable shots with it and yes, the buttons are a bit small and fiddly.

At least I won't have to go begging any more car photos from SF members!!

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts