Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about Phil and Derek has prompted a further thought.

40 years ago the vintage Bentley and Bugatti were the "Vanwall" and "Maserati" of their day as they were historic racers from a past that extended back only about 30-40 years at that time.

Today we have the Vanwall and Maserati which takes us back 45 or so years.

What in 40 years time will be considered to be the Vanwall and Maserati of 2044?

To produce such cars then would probably be foolhardy as there will be only a very small number of folk around who would remember them and harbour sentimemt.

So which cars of the current period that we are in will produce the most sentiment in around 40 years time and therefore be offered up by the slot car manufacturers for the next generation of slot car racers?

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That link takes you to a completely different topic.

The discussion is about what slot car produced today will be worth keeping for 30-40 years time.

This is about what slot car in 40 years time we will be demanding to be produced on the back of sentiment for that 1:1 car thats around today. I personally do not think there will be much sentiment in 40 years time around the current crop of formula 1 racers.

There will be for Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell so expect their F1 cars to be developed as classics in 30-40 years time. Those two will be the "Stirling Moss" of that period.

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have just noticed that the Moderators have created a new section called "Collector's Corner".

Had I picked this up earlier I may well have started this discusion there.

Well done to the moderators for introducing a forum that is less about racing slot cars and more about collecting them.

This is a very good move indeed!

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (goldfish_samurai @ 20 Oct 2004, 09:42)Looking at the other thread, it seems that Jamie has hit the nail on the head. I too think the MotoGP bikes probably be quite sought after
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If sales don't pick up, I could see these being well discounted in the future. Maybe worth picking a few up then.

As for the original topic, maybe in 40 years time cars like the Subaru Impreza or Chrysler Viper may come under the classic car status.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
This topic is so close to LMP`s that you could have added all of the above to that topic, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Who cares?

Buy the cars now and you won't have to buy them in the future... If there is any car that you want now, that it is not produced, it won't be made in 40 years time.

I really wish people wouldn't compare those two with Stirling Moss, he had far greater competition and did not always have the best car. Also, he wasn't arrogant... something that I don't like in anyone, especially someone who is meant to be representing our country. Mansell's not so bad, but don't start me off on Damon... he should have been more like his father.

"I personally do not think there will be much sentiment in 40 years time around the current crop of formula 1 racers."

Then you obviously know nothing about the following of F1. I would buy any McLaren F1 that was produced (and I think I nearly have at least one of each and a couple of sports cars (long and short tail)). And I'll probably buy the 2004 car even though it's just a re-livery and made by Scalextric...

McLaren

1 - 9 of 9 Posts