SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
Fibreglass, its not like anything else !

Can anyone point me to an online resource with tips on working with fibreglass models. I am looking at my recently ordered fibreglass body shells and have not got the first idea where to start -

What is the best tool and technique for cutting them ?

Regards
Duane.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Duane: You could look at Mark Gussin's site but may not be much help. I use my Dremmel cut off wheel and straight bits to cut them out. Wheel arches can be cleaned up using a small drum sanding wheel. I then sand the body with 320 or finer to remove the " weave" texture being careful not to remove any detail. Finish off with 600 and then prime and check for imperfections. I use auto spot putty to fill air holes etc then sand and prime these. The primer can then be sanded with 600 before applying the colour coats.

Phil

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
Duane,

I also use a Dremel and a selection of small files. I use Halfords (a UK car accessories chain) primer, paint and laquer as they have a vast range of colours and shades.

I'd also advise the use of a mask, even if the dust isn't toxic it won't do any good to breath it in. also, do your sanding and filing in the garden in the interest of domestic harmony

John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies,

After posting my message I had a go at triming the shells and shaping the wheel arches with the dremel, it worked perfectly.

One thing I noticed is that some of the shells turn up at the front or at both ends, is this a normal effect of the manufacturing process ?

I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the lotus 40 which is banana shaped. I have easily fixed this by cutting slots in the sides along the door shut lines and bending these closed with a peice of styrene epoxyed to the back.

Should I expect to do this to a lesser or greater degree with all fibreglass shells or was I just unlucky with the lotus ?

Regards
Duane

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
I have used Classic Shells for the past 34 years and have not experienced that particular problem. So I would guess that you have been unfortunate.
Alfetta

·
Registered
168 Posts
Regarding banana shells, I've never used Classic bodies, but I have many Nostalgia fiberglass shells from Australia. They are often warped, twisted, or otherwise asymetrical. I'm not sure if this occurs in the handling process of removing the shell from the buck, or if the resin deforms during the curing process. In any case, I've found that soaking the shell under very hot (almost boiling) water will sometimes allow the resin to be gently straightened. It is a pain though.

mp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts