SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sweet! This is a must have for me!
A little shame thet they have missed the dimmed transitions of the colours on the top though, the colours should fade into eachother there really. Makes it look a little toyish. I know I'm beeing critical here, but it shouldn't be difficult to make right really
. Fly did it on their Lister years ago, but then again they can't put any clearcoate on their cars...
So I guess it's too much to ask for

Interesting looking chassis too, I still wonder if that motor on the side will affect the handling though.

Toby

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
That nasty storm's been threatening for a while but correct me if I'm wrong, it has to date just sat brooding on the horizon. Which is a complicated way of saying; one, it's taken a real hammering with the ugly stick and two, it's not covered itself in glory - has it finished a race yet?

[Family Fortunes]
"Our survey said, Dull".

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I agree with what has already been said. I really like its weirdness. I can't wait to hold it ! The colour could not be perfect, but I'll do with it.

I would like to really thank Scalextric for bringing this one. Fly would never do a car when only ONE livery has been raced ... and the car has already been changed ...

·
Registered
186 Posts
It finished the Le Mans 1000 Km in november, though a long way down after spending a long time in the pits with a driveshaft failure. for raw speed, though, it's looking like a good car. In it's '03 spec, it was mixing it with the audis, and for this year they'll be running a different airbox spec that's given them a 60 bhp boost.

When the LMES proper starts at monza in may, then we should see a much more sorted car.

But really, It's not that relevant, is it? the Audi R8C was pretty poor race car for finishes, but it looked the part, and makes a great slot car.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Rich T UK @ 23 Mar 2004, 11:19)In it's '03 spec, it was mixing it with the audis, and for this year they'll be running a different airbox spec that's given them a 60 bhp boost.
Just from an AIRBOX??!!

60bhp is a massive gain is it not? Even on a powerful race engine.

(Disappears out to look at 2.8i Capri, mumbling in a caffeine-fuelled state about more airflow, more power... where's me drill?
)

Mark.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the original design (as modelled) took the engine intake air from 2 channels that run the length of the car, starting at those "prows" by the headlights. this didnt really give any ram effect, but was good for drag.
you can see this lot in detail at http://www.mulsannescorner.com/listerstormlmp.html (click on the picture of the headlights)

the new design has a normal F1-style airbox over the drivers head at the rollhoop.

60bhp is a gain worth making if you're about 50hp down on the opposition. maximum HP for an LMP900/1 on the 2003 regs is about 600, so if you're 60 down, then that's 10%, and it'll hurt you.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Rich T UK @ 23 Mar 2004, 11:35)60bhp is a gain worth making if you're about 50hp down on the opposition. maximum HP for an LMP900/1 on the 2003 regs is about 600, so if you're 60 down, then that's 10%, and it'll hurt you.
I know. 10% is a large amount, so that means I'm looking for 16bhp!! I'd be happy with that

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I agree with all of the posts above and even though I don`t really like modern cars when I held this baby at Toyfair I was impressed and thought it different enough (underneath) and good looking (on the top) and will be interested in giving it a go.

Picking up on what Wankel said, it is interesting to ponder the relationship between the real car and slot version. I certainly feel inspired to buy the slot version if the real thing does well. Other way round, I enjoy racing Slot NASCARS but avoid the real racing as it bores me. So, no it doesn`t matter but who else felt disappointed when it was Carrera that made the Bentley and not Scaley or Fly?

This new Scaley Lister may well be a step forward and with the new pro spares we may well start to see more Scaley cars lining up on the non mag grid as much as the mag versions are currently.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
A brutal looking car with a great paintjob! Interesting review, but surely the offset motor would have an adverse effect on the car?

Mark.

It might have hit every branch on it's fall from the ugly tree, but I still like it!

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
QUOTE ...but who else felt disappointed when it was Carrera that made the Bentley and not Scaley or Fly?

Forming a line behind Jonny.

Basically, my conditions for purchase of a car are;
  • 1. I like the cut of its jib (no ugly stick action)
  • 2. I've seen the 1:1 running and like the cut of its jib
  • 3. I've seen the 1:1 running and can tolerate a little ugly stick action (hence I have a Fly C5R)
Mister Lister here fails on all three counts.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Wankel Ickx @ 23 Mar 2004, 14:13)Mister Lister here fails on all three counts.
You sound like Rimmer from Red Dwarf!

Fwiw, Carrera did a good job on the Bentley

Mark.

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Sorry Diff, but Carrera did a barely acceptable job on the Bentley. Fly or Scaley would have done a far better job (and perhaps they till could). We live in hope.
Back on the subject, I like the Lister and will be buying one ASAMWLM (as soon as my wife lets me!)

Rob

PS In our house LMP means Let Me, Please?

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
Um.. I have two versions of the Bentley one with the old chassis which is currently in the pits completley disasembled and awaiting a rebuild (contemplating shoving a HRS chassis under it) and the other has the latest chassis under it. The latest one goes fine and w/o a magnet, nicely trued tyres that have been softened with a bit of 3 in 1 and then cleaned, it is up there with most other LMPs. With magnets its a bit more tail happy and not quite got the neck breaking acceleration but it is far better than "barely acceptable".

Matt

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
When I saw the prototype of this model at the NSCC weekend at Ramsgate last year, my first impressions were of a bland, ugly looking, I've seen this car before feeling. But, I must say, the finished article looks much better than that. Although not a beautiful car, the livery does look good and will be a great addition to anyone's collection.

M

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Even with a better chassis, the Carrera Bentley is still a long way from the detail we now get from Fly or Scalextric.

I have no doubt that the Lister LMP will be fine. The driver's helmet is even painted ! Quite an achievement for Scalextric !

I got the latest liveries of the MG Lolas and I cross my fingers that Scaley will give us the one that raced at the Le mans 1000 km as well.

Now, who's going to announce the winning Bentley ? Who can live without it on his track ?

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
QUOTE Even with a better chassis, the Carrera Bentley is still a long way from the detail we now get from Fly or Scalextric.

What I was trying to say, but fast lucky is more subtle than me!

I was not trying to be offensive, but I think that the Carrera Bentley is not as nicely detailed as a Scalextric MG Lola, a SlotIt Audi or a Fly Panoz or Lola, for example. In comparison the Bentley looks kind of fat and clunky, which I don't think is true to the original car. Only my opinion.

The more I see that Lister, the more I want one.

Rob

1 - 20 of 48 Posts