Hi,

do someone can explain mee more about this method :

[find in this post : here]

thanks a lot

Elicend

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Hi Elicend- I tried to explain as much as I could on the Ferrari project. Sorry if it's still not clear. If there's anything in particular you need help with, email me and I'll try and help. The best thing though is to experiment yourself- it's not too tricky!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

I do this in the way the OPPOSITE of the one described.

I mount the mold/original on a thin post about 6" tall. Mounted on a base(all balsa). I use a sheet a couple inches bigger than the part...warm over a CANDLE. When the plastic is droopy, just pull it down over the original. If too cool, it looks like your photo, if too hot, it melts before you get to the mold.

But I do this all the time, windshields and everything.

Fate

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
arf sorry if i missed some details on the ferrari topic

but, what do you use as "clear paper" ?

is it possible you think to make the glass of an Airfix Jaguar E type?

in fact i really want to try this method, but i'm interested by picture "during" the warmup and the forming (i know that it can be easy to do
)

thanks
elicend

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Hi Elicend

Get some clear acetate sheet from your model shop... I used 0.1mm for the headlight covers, maybe something a little thicker for a bigger part like a windscreen. E-type windows should not be a problem, as long as you can make a form or mould accurately, or have the old windows to use. You won't be able to make any deeply undercut or hollowed shapes though.

I tried to take a picture 'during' the warm-up, but despite my wife's sweaters, I don't have enough arms. Perhaps Russell could manage it. I like to use a hot air blower- a hair dryer would probably do. As soon as the acetate goes soft and sags through the hole, you can push the mould into it. If it doesn't work, or goes solid before you have shaped the part fully, heat it up some more and go again.

We used this method to make cockpit canopies for our model aircraft when I was a kid, but we used to hold the thing over a gas flame. The hot air gun is safer, and it still works!

The best thing is always just to try it. If it all goes wrong, try it again!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

o yes, i'm not afaid by trying something, at the time i'm learning to make resine part, and i've got a stand wood project to

ok i've got the type of sheets you use, i'll try to find them.

is it expensive??

i'm show you if every thing is ok

fo the E type, i'm based on an airfix model, so i'v got a perfect windows

bye
elicend

1 - 6 of 6 Posts