SlotForum banner

They fit!

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  howmet tx 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Was a big disappointment when I found out they were 1/24 scale BUT..

They fit, albeit Very close, on the Mugello circuit so I is a happy bunny. Simply up the voltage to 18 and have a blast!!...

The 1/24 LMPs also run (NO guide depth problems with Carrera cars on Sport track) but only one per track, lane by lane spacing is too close.

One last view of Mugello in testing phase..

thomas finds that Scalextric Sport barriers only JUST do their intended job when faced with a large Porsche that overshot the corner

apologies for the camera shake! forgot tripod and didn't get too much sleep last night.

See less See more
#5 ·
..hey mates! These cars are not for sale! I'm happy to have them - already have about 10 vintage Carrera C6 in 1/24 - and out of our discussion this morning - Swiss and Joer will have some more

These cars are real fun to dirve - even on Scalextric Sports track! Try them!

#6 ·
JP

I forked out £35 for an 'original bagged issue' Airfix Porsche Carrera 6 for my chrissy present to myself from Carkits. I wanted to run it for exactly the reasons you just mentioned, but I have to admit it looks so pretty in it's original bag it might stay hanging up on the workshop wall accruing value, while I motorise my Classic fibreglass shell (which I suspect was pulled from the Airfix original). All I need is a SIMPLE HOME MADE VAC FORMER to make the headlight covers. The Ninco Porsche wheels are perfect for it though. One day, all of this will be done....

Cheerio

#7 ·
QUOTE The Ninco Porsche wheels are perfect for it though. One day, all of this will be done....
Well,not quite,the Ninco wheels are particular to the Porsche 356,and are not a bit like the 904/906 wheels which are very distinctive.

I have been looking everywhere for a decent 904/906 steel wheel to produce in Resin.If anybody out there in slot land has one,please let me know.

Here's my 904/906 rim in 1/24 scale

#8 ·
Gad! another illusion shattered! Ah well, at least it means the Carrera 6 can be dropped down the project list to no.3,746, or until you can come up with some wheels, BWA...
What about the inserts that come with the Monogram/MRRC kit? Or pulling some clones off the Airfix kit wheels?
I do love the shape of that car- they looked really futuristic when I first saw them on TV at Le Mans- like a fleet of spaceships. The old MRRC kit was one of the first I ever bought. Anyone remember those great MRRC 4WD chassis cars? There was a lovely Merc 154, I think....and the Indy Novi-Ferguson...Will they ever come back?
Anyway. One day I will have a 1/32 Carrera 6 whistling round my track. Somehow.

#10 ·
Thanks for the tip, Thomas. I've been avoiding Ebay so far- keeping the old credit card well away from the computer keyboard seems to be a good idea. But I don't know much about the older Carrera cars- the firm seems to have done some interesting models in the past that I never saw here in the UK. Any good sources of information on that?

#11 ·
...information about CArrera - beside a couple of excellent pages there is an excellent book available, describing all cars and teh history of the company till 1984 - but it's only available in german. Nenry Smits-Bode is the author - and the "Carrera-Pope" - just contact him, he might get some wheels for you with reasonable prices as he's one of teh biggest collection and always some spares to sell.

#15 ·
Unfortunately my scanner has made a poor job with b&w photo, and the magazine was very old ( I used to build and paint my first models on it , almost forty years ago); I have other views of the Carrera Dino in detail and will post them in a short time. Btw controller price then was 4800 italian lire, or 2,5 euro/1.8£ today!
Ciao

#16 ·
The 1:24 scale Carrera Jaguar E-Types fit on 2 lane SPORT track aswell.

In fact it would be nice to have a definitive list of which Carrera 1:24 scale cars fit on SPORT 2 lane track, and which require 4 lanes?

My instinct tells me that any classic Carrera 1:24 scale car will fit, but that modern outline racers will not.

I even think a 1:24 scale Carrera GT40 would fit!

Now if Carrera would only talk to Hornby then we might get a decent 1:32 E-Type out of the deal!

Moped

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE I forked out £35 for an 'original bagged issue' Airfix Porsche Carrera 6 for my chrissy present to myself from Carkits. I wanted to run it for exactly the reasons you just mentioned, but I have to admit it looks so pretty in it's original bag it might stay hanging up on the workshop wall accruing value

35 smackers howmet - Mine only cost 2/3d

My car was actually based on one of those amazing £1 Riko kits that came with all the chassis components and a Rikochet motor all packaged under a clear vac formed bodyshell (a Chaparral 2F in my case) and stapled to a piece card.

I didn't do a particularly good job on the Chapy shell as I recall (although it did have a SIMPLE HOME-MADE WORKING FLIPPER THING) so, when I got the Airfix Porsche Carrera 6 kit it was a natural candidate for the chassis. It was a superb runner and probably my favourite car at the time.

Model Cars magazine featured a similar project using a Monogram chassis.

#20 ·
Ah hah... but now it's had all this publicity on Slot forum, it's already worth £35.05p! Who's going to be laughing in another fifteen years? It'll be worth more than my pension. I'm keeping it safe and sound next to the punctured spacehopper Mrs Howmet found at the charity shop. There's no shame in capitalism! Buy low, sell high!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.