SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Wow! Now that's a BIG track. Just how long is it and what size area does it cover? How high will you be building the track at? I notice that you are running Pro-x. Are you planning on using wireless controllers? I have them and am quited pleased with them. You're track may prove to be a real test for their range. I have heard a suggestion to convert the wireless controllers from IR to RF, but don't know any of the specifics. Appearantly there is some sort of covnerters that are typically used for AV remotes that would also work for the wireless Pro-X controllers.

Anyway, nice track plan. I'll be watching your progress with with great interest.

Brad

·
1,089 Posts
Very impressive Pete. Both the room and the benchwork look great. I think that they are telling signs of how this track is going to turn out.

Rob, thanks for posting the links; I was about to do the same. I'm happy with how my track borders turned out. They look pretty good and were a lot less money than the Carrera pieces. I chose to fill in the cracks with Bondo. The end result is a track that is almost as smooth as a routed track. I have a lot of power taps, so the power is well distributed. The track runs well and the Pro-X system has performed without a hitch.

That being said, I'd do things differently if I were to build another track. I'd go with a routed track with Pro-X components. The simplest way to do this would be to route pockets for the Pro-X LC's and drop them in place. I'd make sure that the underside of the LC's were exposed to the underside of the table so that electronics and mechanicals could be serviced and/or replaced.

It may not seem like it, but I think you'd save a lot of time with the hybrid approach. It took me a while to cut the borders and bondo my track and it's only 64.5'. It might be a good idea to buy a sheet of MDF and route a simple oval with a pit lane for practice. You could develop an approach to integrating the Pro-X pieces into a routed track and work out the bugs on it.

You're off to a good start! Thanks for sharing.

Brad

·
1,089 Posts
Hi Pete:

Here's a link to what many consider to be THE place to go when you're looking for information on routed and scenic'd tracks. Luf's How To Video. The link takes you to a page on Luf's site where you can preview and order a How To video on routed scenic'd tracks. From what I've heard the video is indespensible. The tools they sell are supposed to be very helpful too. Check out the rest of the site if you haven't already run across it. It's a real treat.

I would think that you will be able to cover the costs of materials for the routed track from the sale of your Carrera track without diffculty. I don't know about the cost of copper tape, but MDF is not that expensive. A professional quality router can be bought for less than $200 - under $100 for one good enough to route a track. As for labor, you'll be spending a lot less time on a routed track than on making a sectional track look like a routed track. An additional benefit is that you can play around with the geometry of the track plan a little. Not to change the plan, but rather to make some of the turns more realistic looking: Increasing/decreasing radii and straights that are mostly, but not exactly straight. You can also route squeezes into the turns and straights; making racing on the track more challenging for both analog and digital racing.

I think you have an opportunity to make a well planned track even better. That being said, I'll step off the soapbox now! You're track is going to be a great one, no matter how you proceed. I'm just glad you'sharing it with all of us.

Brad

·
1,089 Posts
That's some fantastic looking benchwork there Pete. I'm so glad to see that you're making progress on the track. What direction did you decide to take with the track - Carrera or routed/hybrid? Running by Christmas makes me think that you're sticking with Carrera track. Either way, this is going to be a fun one to watch!

Brad

·
1,089 Posts
Pete:

The new track layout looks like it will be a lot of fun to race on. I'm with the gang on this track; I can't wait to see it come to life. You're going to have a ball when SpaModeller comes to town. He's a delightful person that is way too modest when it comes to his knowledge and skill of racing and modeling - how fortunate for you and your track! Here's to what is sure to be another fantastic track featured here on SlotForum.

Brad

·
1,089 Posts
Terrific, just terrific; you are off to such a great start!!! It's exciting for all of us to follow along and to anticipate the next update.

It's so nice to see the track elevation changes that you've made along with the height of the surrounding terrain. The sense of scale created by these is perfect! What a great commitment of time and space you're making to get things right - really right. The results, even at this stage, show the amount thought you're putting into the effort. In my opinion, this is the most impressive part of your layout.

Thanks for the update.
Brad

·
1,089 Posts
QUOTE Big guy so how does he do such fine work?
Elves, little bitty scenery elves: they come in the wee hours of the night and work for milk and cookies that I leave out for them. Lately they are on strike because I have been eating too many of the cookies

It was nice to meet Pete and see his track in person. We had a great time Saturday night when Moby Dick and Redlyner were over to try out the track, what a nice couple of fellows. Pete's track is smooth running and takes about 25 seconds to complete a lap. That time will surely be reduced when more scenery is in place - right now it's too perilous in many places to attempt to lower lap times (at least with a borrowed car).

It was also nice to have the opportunity to try out James' track which is a fully functional AC2Car track. It's wonderful, and if I were to ever replace Prairie Ridge, I would do so with an AC2Car track. Not to fret, I have no plans to replace my track. James' track is even better than the pictures and video posted here on SlotForum. He is an amazingly talented individual and a gracious host to boot. Detroit seems to be a hotbed of impressive home slot car tracks what with the AC2Car boys and few other notable SlotForum regulars. I'm jealous! I guess I need to start promoting better here in the land of milk and cookies

Mr. Big

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.