SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (thib @ 8 Mar 2007, 18:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Actually I do like Pro-X - it's just the thought of re-purchasing all of the lane changers to upgrade that has me a little miffed.

Pete
Pete, have you thought about doing a routed digital? Given all that beautiful benchwork, somehow I suspect you'll eventually be disappointed that you didn't do a routed track. I know that this is the one regret that I have with my own track... Bill

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (thib @ 9 Mar 2007, 17:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>While we're at it - how effectively do you think wood and plastic could be combined scenically?

Pete
Pete, I think there are several benefits of wood. First, it's much cheaper. Second, it's much smoother. Third, the power conductivity is better. Fourth, there are no design constraints. Fifth, it is much better for a scenic track. Mind you, all this is coming from someone who has never had a wooden track or even driven on one! But I think these benefits are pretty well known (and others might add more). For me, point #5 is the reason that I regret doing my track in plastic. I think it would be slightly more tricky to do a routed digital, but seeing WesR's routed targa convinces me that it isn't overly difficult. His is SSD, but I think Pro-X or the new 132 would be the same concept. Just food for thought.

Bill

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I'm just going to chime in and second what Brad wrote. I'm also going to use Bondo to fill cracks and create a smooth track. And, I just got through putting in power taps -- six for 64 feet. And, mine runs nice and smooth. But I rout it when I do another track. You already have the open benchwork that I will use on my next attempt. You could probably keep the digital sections as plastic and just rout the rest of the track. I'm just guessing that given the care you've put into the benchwork, and the plans you have for scenery, that routed track is a better approach. That said, if I were using plastic track, then I'd go with Carrera (provided that I had your space, but I didn't
). So, you're one step ahead of me in any case!

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Well, you're in good hands there with Brad and SpaModeller! I can't wait to see a little paint and scenery on those mountains -- it's going to be spectacular!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.