SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
HMMMM?? I do not want to be negative, because your design is inspired, BUT from what I can see you driver station would have to be in one of the center cut-outs or Judging by the picture at one end of the Loop right where the wall is? Pit falls for both area's, Looks like up to 4 guys crowded at the one curve, who going to corner marshal? OR if you stand in one of the cut outs, looks like the cars will be going behind you, gonna get a sore neck before too long not to mention a high number of OFFS. Seems allot like a train layout, which is O.K. but trains move MUCH slower!

My suggestion would be to take most of the space out of the middle & add access around the perimiter so you can reach in to the different area's on the track. Of course if you plan on running by yourself 90% of the time, none of this matters

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well, I had lost track of this thread for a while and I just picked it up again. Holy crap you've done a total 180 on me!!
I was in love with your space and could see the possibilities. Then came the Carrera track and I was less enthused. When you started talking routed I was AHHHH YES then I saw you still had the Carrera
and were planning on adding the routed? As good as this sounds that would be a major hassle. Then totally out of the blue a CNC'd masterpiece!!!
I am tickeld now, because I think you really have the makings of the best track I might have seen to date!

I think you've gone on and of course a few times, during this build and no doubt you have learned allot! but it looks like the boat is on course!! Full speed ahead!!

I am just as anxious to see the end result as I am sure you are to see it done!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Graham I like the Cassette concept you got going there, but something to put the tape in the correct place is critical! (some sort of guide) Here's what I came up with for my Texas Targa Track; it has a couple pins that ride in the slot. Taped half the track in about an hour (then I ran out of tape!
) Anyway it works pretty good! (better than I expected) My biggest problem was evacuating the spent paper backing! Next time I build one of these I was thinking about a spring tensioned take up wheel; I could drill a hole through and mount the take up wheel on the other side. That would've cut my taping time by a third EASY!

Another taping tip (learned from experience) tape the lower levels BEFORE you put your bride structures in! It's kinda hard to get even a small taping tool through a low over pass!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thib, what's your prefered theme for landscaping? The flow of that makes me think of a slightly montainous circuit, possibly with some snow capped alpine peaks in a few places? Or maybe a Nurburgring theme?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Wow, the elevations look great, but I am perplexed; looks like the whole track is elevated!? no? I was just thinking that at the lowest points you might as well just fasten the track to the table? It would make landscaping a bit easier and lower the whole track 4"+ making those higher area's easier to reach! I don't know maybe I just don't see in the pictures where the track goes down to the table???

Looks terrific though, you have inspired me to consider, some of your design idea's on my next goround!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
QUOTE (Snakebit @ 3 Nov 2008, 17:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My guess is that Pete (Thib) has done a little model railroading in the past.With the whole track elevated you can make hills/mountains or valleys.If the track is mounted on the surface ,you would have to cut holes and sink the scenery in for valleys.This way its easier to do both.Just my guess.....=) Joe

Joe, quite possible and I considered that, but still access could be an issue! I can't really talk too much because my track only touches the table in one small spot under the bridge and I made a very concious decision to do that because originally it was 3/4" off the table and I said to myself "no I want that additional elevation change" but then I am only talking about 7 1/4" of total elevation change and Pete has about 18 or 20" (?) going here. I wasn't being judgmental, it was just an observation!
you can always go under the level of the table! right?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Truely Superb, but PLEASE no more reworks!! I think that no matter how much you think you have it figured out, eventually you will want a new one anyway!
So just get'er done and then you can start fantasizing about the next!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thib, very nice to see the track back on course and moving forward; you just seem to go from strenght to strenght! Running? yes please: then show us some vids! then the landscaping! Bravo!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thib! Here wait a second let me pick my jaw up off the floor!!! Infreakincredible!!! I knew it was big, but it's not unitil you see a car circulating that you realize just how big!!!

One thing I was wondering though; it seems as if you did not leave yourself much runoff/lanscaping area on either side of the track surface, as the stripes are very close to the edge; was there a reason for this!?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
QUOTE (thib @ 7 Feb 2010, 00:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Masmojo - There is some extra room for border around tighter turns but in general, I wanted to keep track width to a minimum for scenic purposes. It's supposed to be a somewhat treacheroud mountin road after all. If I need additional borrder in some places I guess I'll have to improvise but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Understood, just from my standpoint I have discovered it's best to keep as much as possible, until such point during the scenery process that you decide you do no need it and then trim the excess off! I always appreciate having the extra to staple my screening to! I have trecherous bits on my track as well and while it looks cool, sometimes the tail of your car wacking on the scenery and the resulting damage to both can be annoying!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well, My track is no where as big as yours, but might explain why I had problems with space and trimming too close, but I also had area's where the verge need to be trimmed some. I just used my hand held jig saw! It vibrates the heck out of things if everything is not firmly attached, but after everything is already up, it's about the only option! So screw drivers and everything else starts dropping on the floor if you carry on too long, but it gets the job done!

We are planning on moving in the near future, then I will be getting a big room for my track, but until then it's this!

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...c=35392&hl=

Just 4' X 8' but replaces a 5.5' X 11' track that took up the majority of the room; this one fits in one end so we can have a dining table in there as well!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well, you are definately getting there, but I am a wee bit perplexed by the vast quantities of Foam!!! I would say use it if ya got it, but it's definately a very expensive and slow way to do it; especially if you are scaping a track that big!!
So much quicker and easier to staple up wire mesh/screen and put your Scultamold and hydrocal over that! Another advantge to using screen is you can staple it directly to the edge of the road bed and avoid gaps between the road and the landscaping and you could probably cut you sculptamold useage in half!

Food for thought!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.