SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hello Taxi - Thanks for the feedback and information. I do have a bunch of hardboard sitting around so that may work out well.

Jean - That's a pretty good idea on not rushing in on wood until I'm comfortable with the layout.

My initial thought on this is that there are a couple of areas of the track where routing clearly makes good sense, just about a no-brainer as these areas have about 0 chance of changing and involve long stretches without lane changing. So, I'm going to think about doing those and worry about the possibility of routing the rest of the track later.

Thanks guys

Pete

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Very impressive Pete. Both the room and the benchwork look great. I think that they are telling signs of how this track is going to turn out.

Rob, thanks for posting the links; I was about to do the same. I'm happy with how my track borders turned out. They look pretty good and were a lot less money than the Carrera pieces. I chose to fill in the cracks with Bondo. The end result is a track that is almost as smooth as a routed track. I have a lot of power taps, so the power is well distributed. The track runs well and the Pro-X system has performed without a hitch.

That being said, I'd do things differently if I were to build another track. I'd go with a routed track with Pro-X components. The simplest way to do this would be to route pockets for the Pro-X LC's and drop them in place. I'd make sure that the underside of the LC's were exposed to the underside of the table so that electronics and mechanicals could be serviced and/or replaced.

It may not seem like it, but I think you'd save a lot of time with the hybrid approach. It took me a while to cut the borders and bondo my track and it's only 64.5'. It might be a good idea to buy a sheet of MDF and route a simple oval with a pit lane for practice. You could develop an approach to integrating the Pro-X pieces into a routed track and work out the bugs on it.

You're off to a good start! Thanks for sharing.

Brad

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I'm just going to chime in and second what Brad wrote. I'm also going to use Bondo to fill cracks and create a smooth track. And, I just got through putting in power taps -- six for 64 feet. And, mine runs nice and smooth. But I rout it when I do another track. You already have the open benchwork that I will use on my next attempt. You could probably keep the digital sections as plastic and just rout the rest of the track. I'm just guessing that given the care you've put into the benchwork, and the plans you have for scenery, that routed track is a better approach. That said, if I were using plastic track, then I'd go with Carrera (provided that I had your space, but I didn't
). So, you're one step ahead of me in any case!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks Brad and Bill - great information and suggestions.

I still need to find a "how to" on routing a track and start figuring out the cost of tools and materials and the effort involved. Assuming they aren't too horrible, I'll probably go with it, to a degree that will be determined later.

It looks like the improvements that I would be getting out of this is basically a smoother track, without a visual interruption and borders on any turns I route.

I consider those substantial!

On the downside, if I were to route the whole thing except the Digital132 pieces, not one single piece of track that is currently in my basement would be utilized. OUCH!

See ya,

Pete

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

I still need to find a "how to" on routing a track and start figuring out the cost of tools and materials and the effort involved. Assuming they aren't too horrible, I'll probably go with it, to a degree that will be determined later.

It looks like the improvements that I would be getting out of this is basically a smoother track, without a visual interruption and borders on any turns I route.

On the downside, if I were to route the whole thing except the Digital132 pieces, not one single piece of track that is currently in my basement would be utilized. OUCH!

See ya,

Pete

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

I still need to find a "how to" on routing a track and start figuring out the cost of tools and materials and the effort involved. Assuming they are reasonable, I'll probably go with it, to a degree that that will be determined later.

The plan is set really so it looks like the improvements that I would be getting out of this is basically a smoother track, without a visual interruption and borders on any turns I route.

See ya,

Pete

·
1,089 Posts
Hi Pete:

Here's a link to what many consider to be THE place to go when you're looking for information on routed and scenic'd tracks. Luf's How To Video. The link takes you to a page on Luf's site where you can preview and order a How To video on routed scenic'd tracks. From what I've heard the video is indespensible. The tools they sell are supposed to be very helpful too. Check out the rest of the site if you haven't already run across it. It's a real treat.

I would think that you will be able to cover the costs of materials for the routed track from the sale of your Carrera track without diffculty. I don't know about the cost of copper tape, but MDF is not that expensive. A professional quality router can be bought for less than $200 - under $100 for one good enough to route a track. As for labor, you'll be spending a lot less time on a routed track than on making a sectional track look like a routed track. An additional benefit is that you can play around with the geometry of the track plan a little. Not to change the plan, but rather to make some of the turns more realistic looking: Increasing/decreasing radii and straights that are mostly, but not exactly straight. You can also route squeezes into the turns and straights; making racing on the track more challenging for both analog and digital racing.

I think you have an opportunity to make a well planned track even better. That being said, I'll step off the soapbox now! You're track is going to be a great one, no matter how you proceed. I'm just glad you'sharing it with all of us.

Brad

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
QUOTE On the downside, if I were to route the whole thing except the Digital132 pieces, not one single piece of track that is currently in my basement would be utilized. OUCH!

Hmmmmmm Garden RR.......Garden Slot track.........If they can make a train run out doors, Perhaps you could give some thought to an Outdoor Slot track

Ah to build a Nurbergring Circuit Oudoors on a hillside set amid a forest of Dwarf pines......OMG Now that would be really be Something wouldnt it!!!
How about at about 1/10 of scale........A scale 1.4 miles in 1/32.......Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!!!:D

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tileguy, you mentioned dwarf pines. I have been thinking about using some bonsai trees on my patio layout. I am planning on using as many natural resources as possible since my layout will be outside. So small trees are not out of the equation.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'll definitely do that Brad, provided I'm not shamed with the results

Actually I'm a fellow midwesterner - Rochester Hills, MI which is in the metro Detroit area.

See ya,

Pete

·
Registered
107 Posts
well all i can say is have fun. i my self am in the middle of
my lay just planning and track power have proven to be a major operation but on that note i have enjoyed every minute of it so far

i love the plans it looks great
i think cordless controlls would be a must
keep the pics comin

·
Registered
303 Posts
I like this thread. I can look at the dates of the posts and actually see how long this is taking......

Actually I'm pretty happy at the moment. After 8 long months and several start-overs, I'm finally finished with the darn grid. The plan has been totally reworked and is now simply a run through some mountain scenery with canyons, rivers, etc. No more Monaco.

I promise, this is the last time I'll post pictures of the benwork.

I'm hoping to have an operating track by Christmas. After almost a year without - I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My goodness! This is, well, simply awesome. Cannot wait to see the track up and running. Christmas you say? Looking really terrific, and I know how much work you've put into it to this point. Very nice effort on the benchwork-it really is tops.

·
1,089 Posts
That's some fantastic looking benchwork there Pete. I'm so glad to see that you're making progress on the track. What direction did you decide to take with the track - Carrera or routed/hybrid? Running by Christmas makes me think that you're sticking with Carrera track. Either way, this is going to be a fun one to watch!

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
I've just checked through this thread twice and I can't find a posting of mine. Why? I don't know. Has this thread appeared out of nowhere? How did I miss it? These are all questions we shall be asking later. It hits you between the eyes.
It does. I simply cannot believe what I see.
I know how much work has gone into mine and, well, I am simply in awe! The legs alone are a work of art...better than Marilyn Monroe's (yes, they are still the best). Mine are just trestles! I have just one further question before I fall off my chair. Is this track also portable?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. Family and friends that have seen the track frequently have a look similar to this guy
so it's really nice to get some positive feedback.

Graham - No, it's definitely not portable

Brad - I'm still planning to go routed digital. I've pretty much obtained the supplies I need but will 1st assemble the track with my existing Carrera track and then just incorporate the routing progressively. I'm also hoping to have an analog mode like you have and maybe incorporate some of the Lane Brain, Race Base and V-Dash stuff from Injectorman someday.

Ontheflipside - I can't wait to see either as at this point, I have no clue. Well, Spa Modeller has given me some ideas but still, building the bridges is the most intimidating unknown in the project.

Pete

41 - 60 of 364 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.