SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mike Zimmerman
1,127 Posts
QUOTE Have not heard yet from Mike Zimmerman

I'm in for the challenge although, I'm not much of an aero guy. Should actually make for a closer competitive series.

As far as finding a director J, I think you're it, since you came up with the idea...

...and you seem to have the following and the nerves for it.

You have my vote.

Z

· Mike Zimmerman
1,127 Posts
QUOTE When ever we try to hold an event that emulates earlier eras of any activity, and try to set guidelines to identify that period, eg before 1970, we need more rules now, than they had back then.
Back then, they didn't have all the stuff we have now, or the improvements in design like flexi frames, and all the aero used by today's racers.
Racers in the 60's didn't need many rules, because they were racing that latest and greatest available to them at the time, and when anything goes.
Like Jairus has said quite a few times, try to put yourself back in time when you were standing in front of the parts rack at your hobby store or track.
What materials and parts were available?
They are the ones to use.
Most of us probably couldn't afford the best stuff on the hooks back then, and now we can.
We need rules to remind us how it was.

I agree Steve, very well said. Jairus is handling the situation masterfully. When you limit the components to 1970 or earlier, this takes care of many of the problems you bring up. Motor, wheels, guide etc. can be policed. Chassis design is another thing. It's a judgement call. All you can really say is no lazer cut & no manufactured chassis, must be scratchbuilt. In a Thingie class you have to let creativity blossom or it's not a Thingie class but, rather just another slot car class. This series of proxy races over the last six years has been very unique. Many try to compare it to D3 but, it's NOTHING LIKE D3. Our Thingie proxys are like nothing else running which is why they are so great and we have been twice blessed with equally great race directors. Thingies are "Outlaw" cars and outlaws "Run whatcha brung" pretty much.

Z

· Mike Zimmerman
1,127 Posts
It's funny, I've seen a lot of ebay/swap meet Ugo chassied cars over the years and actually bought 2 or 3 but, I don't remember ever seeing one mounted under an aero type body or for that matter any body other than an open wheel type car.

Maybe my memory is fading a bit but......

z

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.