SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an excellent forum with some very friendly and helpful people.

I like the forum style, its far better than most boards on the internet.

But why is the top logo picture so washed out and blurry? I've seen some excellent professional qualty pictures on this forum but the top logo could need some contrast adjustment or perhaps a new photo.

Just my 2 cents :)

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Looks fine to me too. And I'll bet I have one of the oldest PCs here. Perhaps you have some strange video settings?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
schnuz, please copy and save the logo you refer to onto your PC and check it. If it is still in your eyes wrong or bad then please email it without compressing and I will check.

My guess though is also that your PC graphic settings are low definition. I am also assuming you are refering to the Ferrari 550 banner logo?

thanks

Swissracer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm using a Mac, with a 21" Apple Display screen which is a high definition DTP screen.

Macs do apply another way of showing graphics in respect to contrast/brightness settings, however the above picture simply is washed out IMO.

I don't say this to offend anyone as this is an excellent website. I simply mean that I've seen so many sharp and excellent pictures here, and the top logo picture isn't quite on par.

The contrast is weak and the colours washed out, and there are some severe jpeg compression artifacts. You'll notice there's an apparent grey veil on the picture:

Simply adding contrast and retouching a bit:

Well, I guess you can call me pedantic but otherwise the place just oozes quality. I've noticed this top logo thing everytime I come here. :) Again, no offence was meant by this comment.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
No offence taken Schnuz

Ok I see your point BUT, to me the lower picture touched up by you appears way too glaring and garish.

I think it must be a Mac V PC thing?

I will speak to Nuro when he gets back and see but I would not want the lower graphic on my screen.

Anyone else think one is better than the other? please state PC or Mac or whatever if you have a preference.

We don't need loads of prefered personal versions sent in, just a comment on whether you prefer the sharp image below or the standard one above.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 27 Sep 2004, 20:47)Anyone else think one is better than the other? please state PC or Mac or whatever if you have a preference.
Of course you should use the version you prefer, although it might look washed out for some (perhaps Mac) users. The test one I did was just an example, not directly meant for comparison as you are correct it is a bit garish (remember I stated it was exaggerated).

Also I didn't want to bring about a big debate, and especially not a Mac vs. PC thing.

If you look at these pictures from this site you'll notice how sharp they are in contrast.
Oreca Viper Review

Ok

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I think the contrast has been reduced, and it is to make sure that it does not conflict with the lettering, which is supposed to be the focus of the banner.

I am a mac user too, and it looks great to me as it is; I agree it is reduced contrast, but as I say to me that works, whether it was done on purpose or by accident

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Schnuz makes a good point and no offence taken by anyone I am quite sure.
However I am absolutely certain that Astro has it summed up perfectly.
QUOTE it is to make sure that it does not conflict with the lettering, which is supposed to be the focus of the banner.
This makes complete sense and I feel it is 'just right' as is.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Agreed with all. As a web design pro (snicker), and looking at it on various platforms, it should stay as is. background graphics on title bars/logos should be "drowned out" a bit, as the text should be the focus.

·
David Moss
461 Posts
Is it me being a sad 'Techy' or are you all missing one major point?

First lets get my qualifications out of the way:
At the moment I work on a Mac in Ad Production for a magazine publisher.
In my time I have worked on World wide corporate re-branding (in print & on-line) and the big issue was to get the RGB screen image the same Corporate colour as the print one.

The answer - It's imposible!!!

All your monitors will be set to personnal prefs of Brightness, Contract & Saturation of colour (that includes those that are calibrated for work purposes, like mine at work),

Your software driver setting will all be different.

And finally & most important of all:- Macs ALWAYS work at a higher Gamma setting than PCs. This means (for those that are sad Tech-heads) that Mac monitors will always display coolours atleast 1.5 Gamma setting brighter than PC's.
This is a well known issue for web designers who have to design images for cross platform sites. PC's will show any graphics darker than the same image viewed on a Mac.

There, I hope my sadness & knowledge have finally been of use to some one.

Cheers,
David (ex-graphic designer, ex-freelance design, fulltime Mac Monkey (& PC owner))

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
OK - thanks for the replies and I think the best answer is

No way to please everyone all the time

I am glad you all feel you can raise issues like this so thanks Schnuz.

I think this has run its course but thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.