SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I've only been around this level of the game for about 3 weeks. I need to get some stuff so that I can get racin'. Here is SA we do not have a big selection of brands but it's not too bad import it ourself.

Now, what will be a good car to start with on a plastic track. I'm not talking about record breaking lap time because at the moment I can hardly make around the track without derailing. I want something sporty but robust but not a rally car, at least not yet. I hear that Ninco are are very fast down straight but don't stay on the track on corners.

Is Parma controllers any good to start with? What ohmage (is that the correct word/spelling) should I look at? I know you get the SCX controllers with the interchangeble resistors, why not use that? Does someone know of any SA manufacturers that I can contact for a controller?

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmmmm, I assume that you're probably looking for magnet cars at the moment so personally I would recommend somthing like scalextric mustang, gt40 or lola.

They're all nice and quick, giving good handling and don't have too many bits and pieces that are gonna fall of when you (inevitably) crash.

With regard to controllers, I've never used the SCX ones so can't comment. I would certainly recommend parma controllers. I upgraded from the standard scaley sport "on/off switch" and the difference they make is astounding. Gives you a much greater feel of control. Some will recommend 25ohm for home racing, personally I think 45ohm is more suitable (particularly for beginners) but it really depends which one 'feels' better to you.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
QUOTE (Mampara @ 28 Jul 2004, 09:00)I hear that Ninco are are very fast down straight but don't stay on the track on corners.
Strange...

I would have recommended you a Ninco BMW M3 GTR... Because they are fun to drive at any level, don't deslot easily, are robust, have a good motor...

As for the controllers, The Muffin Man is completely right, Parma's are great, and the "ohmage" you have to feel for yourself: I have a 20m home Ninco-track, and I have a 25 Ohm Parma, and my slotbuddy has a 45 Ohm Parma. Well... we love the parma's but I don't like the 45's (feel a bit lame to me) and he thinks the 25 is to tricky... It all depends on your driving style I guess...

Greetz

Gunther

·
DT
5,195 Posts
When I restarted this hobby after leaving it 20 years ago, I bought a Scalextric set which had track a couple of cool cars (Porsche 911 GT) and an RMS interface which gave me a computer timing.

If I were to describe the steps thereafter that really made a mark for me it would be:
  • Getting a couple of Fly Dodge Vipers and C5-R Corvettes
  • Expanding the track to 4 lanes
  • Getting a big-jobs regulated power supply
  • Getting a set of Parma 25 ohm controllers
After all that I was hooked and it was easy to add to the collection. Have fun

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Hi

I have come through to you via e-mail....... will assist you with what is available here in RSA (and there is lots if you know where to look), what we race at home and at club levels.

I have had SCX controllers (still, have them) and would reccomend other types in all truthfullness....... cars - there are so many that will give you feedback once we have had a chat....

cheers for now

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yep, Fly would be your best bet with cars - either the Vipers or the Lola B98/10s to ensure that you stay on the circuit!

Aaron

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Part of the choice reflects what sort of track you're using. Ninco track has more grip than Scalextric Sport track, so Ninco cars go well on their own track but aren't so impressive on Sport track. If you're running Scaley Sport track I'd certainly recommend Scalextric or Fly cars, especially if you're using magnets.

Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
SCX, scalextric and Fly are good bets if you´re running magnets. if, later in the future, you decide to run magnet-less, you´ll have some troubles with cars from those brands (not with all, but certainly with a few).
MO: the less hassle cars (running well with mags or no mags) currently are the Ninco´s. But, thanks to a much bigger market, now-a-days you can get lots of other brands with very good cars. The ones mentioned before are just the ones that more often you´ll see in the shelves. Slot.it, Cartrix and Spirit, to name just the more talked about in recent times, have cars that arent much more expensive than ninco´s and are targeted for the racing audience. Even for the home racer, a 956 from slot.it its a pure joy to ride. For comparision sake, around here a Ninco costs me 33+ euros (up to 60 euros on their pro-race versions). A 956 costs me 45 euros...

But, for now, just choose the cars that you like best and do your own personal mistakes too. I have cars that i look at and say: "how could i buy this piece of carp???". But at the time i bought those i sure had loas of fun and took my lessons. and if they dont run well, you can allways turn to slotforum for some guidance.

Parma economy are one of the best quality/price controllers you can get and you can get them in various ohms and try out diferent resitances as you grow in the hobby. If you intend to keep the door open to both magnet and magnet-less racing, a 45ohms its the universal favorite, but its allways down to the particular driver and car. Roughly, the more ohms you get in a resistance, the more feel you get over the the cars speed curve, and running magnet-less would ask for a higher resistance, but as i said, its down to personal opinion and i happen to use 25 ohms with no magnets. so you´ll have to try it yourself.

MO: dont go for the scx controlers. judging by their common offerings, even their pro-controlers shouldn´t be any good.

You can also try to look for other comparable controlers to the parma economy. i´ve seen a few more brands offering very similar products (i dont know names, sorry). Bare in mind that you´ll also need to add a converter to the power base of your chosen track system. Ninco, SCX and comercial/club tracks all use diferent inputs connections. So check that with the brand that sells your chosen controler.

·
Registered
543 Posts
for first cars consider the scalextric audi tt and porsche boxter. they aren't much to look at but they handle well are fast and will take whatever abuse is directed their way.

if you're sure it's a hobby you'll be involved with long term the other cars mentioned before this post are all good choices. and as mentioned before it's a bit of give and take before you'll find what you really like.

parma controllers are great. the economy line can't be beat for price vs performance. scalextric classic/scx is wired one way, ninco/scalextric sport is another. be sure what you'll need before buying.

if you're sure of long term interest consider professor motor controllers. near infinite adjustability, available polarity switch, available adjustable brake. they seem expensive at first glance, then you realize they can replace all the parmas you'll ever own. i replaced six parmas, 4 ohm, 15 ohm, 25 ohm, 35 ohm, 45 ohm, and 60 ohm, with professor motor and haven't missed the parmas.

scott

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
hi Mampara welcome to this mad world, my thoughts for what they are worth is not to get hung up on one type of car or other as you say you are new to the hobby, look more closly at controlers, ask your club mates to loan you diferent ohmages, find one that you can drive most cars with some degree of control, they range from 15 to arond 60 ohms, stick with that till you get more of a "feel" for racing, this way you only spend a few £,s $,s if you go buying dozens of cars you will find you wont use most of them. you will find you get consistant, then start looking at diferent cars, hope that helps mac p

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Morning all and thanx for all the info.

Well, I got some stuff. I took mac p's advise and got a good controller. Or atleast they say it's good. It's a 45ohm Fly with that adjustable tension thingy but without the power whatsamacallit. It is very smooth and robust. Thought I'd get something good that will last a while because I don't like buying things for rhe second time. The cars, yes two, that I got is a SCX Hyundai Accent and a SCX Dome Judd. The Hyundai only got a small wing that can break off but the Judd's wing and mirrors are already in the spares bin. Both are alot of fun to drive and so far I'm happy. I want a Indy or Formula 1 car aswell but they break to easily. Will keep you posted on the progress.

Cheers for now and remember, slot racers are groovy.
*how corny is that*

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want an Indy, ill suggest you to join the Scalextric club. This years clubcar is a Dallara Indy. I just got mine a month ago, and its quite fun.

They dont break that easily, especially if you dont drive them with magnets!

Morten

1 - 13 of 13 Posts