SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a Mac Pinches Auto Union type C in the mail that I found and purchased on Ebay and was comparing it to the other Type C's I have. I can understand the fat body and short wheelbase of the Airfix one since it was a toy from the 60's. The Dave Jones shell looks to have about two thirds the girth, has the correct wheelbase and both of them have the fairings around the front suspension that would have been used on the high speed tracks. The Mac Pinches body falls somewhere in between those two cars in size has the right wheelbase and has the exposed front suspension without the fairings. The body from Mac P is about 7/8ths the size of a TRRC type A and is very very narrow at the rear where the axle openings are. Was the type C physicaly smaller than the type A and the type D?

Regards Ken

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Hi Ken
I think the best you can do is look at as many photos as you can and decide for yourself what looks right.
Here's a few for a start. Note all 3 C types have different nose vents,
The A, B and C types are progressive developments of the same basic design, where as the D type is a different design
The A, B and C types each had longer wheelbases, more powerful and larger capacity engines and needed more fuel than the previous version.

Rosemyer Monaco 1937 (C type)

Rosemyer Brno 1937 (C type)

Rosemyer Swiss GP 1936 (C type)

C type showing width of the tail

Nuvolari Italian GP 1938 (D type) Note wider body due to pannier fuel tanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for the info. I will build up each car and do what it takes to make them look right and get a chassis to fit undr the back of them. I have gotten hooked on building these prewar cars. I keep my eyes open for Pre Ad shells and am looking to find the Mercedes of this era for my collection.

Regards Ken

·
Registered
503 Posts
Tom,

Thank you! I've been wanting to ask that for the past 6 months. I figured I was supposed to know the answer, and that sooner or later somebody would enlighten me.

Mark

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Al Schwartz
3,392 Posts
QUOTE (mmmoose1 @ 20 Aug 2011, 20:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From what I can gather the company name Mac P sold them under was called Pre Add. Here are some old links to some of his products.

http://www.mgussin.freeuk.com/MacPinchesPreAdd/PreAdd.htm

http://www.mgussin.freeuk.com/PreAddSeries2/Series2.htm

http://preadd-bodies.tripod.com/

I always show up too late to the party. If I would have known about these when I started, I would not be on my quest. . . Ken

Not a company - a person - Mac Pinches - Wolverhampton club (most recently) and a long-time slot racer. He originated
and guided the "Early Birds" races at Wolverhampton and designed built and sold the "Pre-Add" body kits for about 5-6 years as I recall. He discontinued the activity several years ago and recently announced his retirement from slot racing altogether (see the "Announcements" board below.

EM

·
Registered
503 Posts
Okay... I knew that Pre Add was the name Mac used for his line of cars. I know what Pre means. What is Add? (Why do I want to know this?) (Rhetorical).

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
My guess is "Pre Add" is an abbreviation for pre advertisements - he only did older cars from before the days GP cars had advertisements on them.
That's just my guess. the only person who can say for sure is Mac Pinches - anybody seen him lately?

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Hi Guys yup 300slr has it.
The range of cars i produced where around befor advertising covered the cars making them
look more like bill boards rather than racing cars.
So why not PRE-ADD thinks i, and so it was.
Regards Mac P

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you loosesalute for the compliment

Thanks also to 300SLR for the link to a site where I could get lost for hours.

I do have my jig setup now to build the chassis's for both the Auto Union shells.

Cheers Ken

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Thanks Mac - glad to see you're still lurking around here ...

And sounds like if you ever got bored with ships you could start up the production line again...

cheers,
Don

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
Phil, the thinking behind the name came from the way advertisements are presented
today.
We see things such as TOYS R US with the letter R reversed, the word Boys spelled with
Z,s instead of S,this is done to be eye catching, to gain attention.
PRE-ADD was chosen because people would ask what it stood for, and as you know
being a salesman your self, once you have people chatting about your product you
are half way to clinching the sale.
When i first set pen to paper PRE-AD looked out of balance, having three letters on
one side of the dash and only two on the other, so to keep things symmetrical, i added
the other D.
The odd name did generate quite a number of sales, so it did pay off.
Regards
Mac P

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
I've always thought in my head that it should have been PRE-AD with one D, but having written it down I can see what you mean, PRE-ADD looks better, more balanced as you say.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Going back to the original question.
The answer is 'none of them or all of them'.
All racing cars, especially Grand Prix cars, are subject to constant development and modification.
They rarely race in exactly the same configuration twice.
Cars of that era were very much individually hand made so they would all have had various differences even when brand new.
The only way is to find a bunch of photos of the car you want to model and chose the body that seems to fit best as a starting point.
The other option is to do a 'generic' version that you are happy with.
You're always going to have to make some compromises in order to make a model into a slot car anyway.
There's probably no one still alive today who could say for sure that what you make never actually existed almost 80 years ago.
Cheers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts