SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
After a long period away with work, I have finally found time to start landscaping my track and I have also abandoned plans for a baseball diamond. So the name had to change as well and I have decided on Three Bear Mountain.

The original thread from when I started is Field Of Dreams Raceway Mk II

I made another slight change in removing the single lane chicane - if Scaley ever get their sh!t together and do a 3 or 4 lane start finish straight then I will extend the 3rd lane the way around just past turn 2 where the single lane chicane was and have a 3 - 2 - 3 chicane.

I have started to play around with doing my own scenery and borders and below are a couple of pictures of a section I am experimenting with. This will not actually be part of the track but I wanted to see if I could incorporate the Scaley rubber fence into a home made border (extra wide to allow for serious non-magnet sliding) and also to have a go at laying some turf and making a gravel trap. The ripple strips will sit flush with the track in the final version.

The first attempt was an unqualified disaster
but the second attempt below is a bit better - forgive the poor focus on these photo's.

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Nice layout

I think you could maybe make a 3/4 lane start finish with a 4 car PB disconected from power but using its sensors ? I am not sure but I would think one of the electronics gurus here would know how to wire it in ... its gotta be pretty much the same as a pitlane sensor mod I imagine.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
There are a lot of very clever elements there! Well done.

It does seem to have quite a bias towards using the middle lane in the three lane section, but that is normal. I'm never quite sure about inverted loops, which make the outside lane even longer. However, with digital it really doesn't matter that much. The pit lane is terrific! It's what I was aiming at...but missed. Knowing what I know now I would have had a three lane main straight, but 26 car grids weren't on the cards at the time.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

@Nigel, using different track combinations and cutting was a revelation to me too - I can thank Sax for that one.

@Graham, it is only obvious from the actual pictures but most of the time the very inside lane is actually the fastest as I have brought the borders right to the edge of the track so you can flyt through the corners faster in the outside lane by leaning on the fence
The main is to try and make the fastest line the line with the most lane changes but still have them all reasonably close - won't know for sure if I have achieved this for a little while yet.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Thing-Fish, SSD Console is the S/W I am using at the moment - I like the simple clear interface. I have a copy of PC LapCounter that I was originally using that I will probably try again in a week or so but at the moment I just want simplicity. Obviously PB Pro with SImple H is driving the track

I hope to make progress between Xmas and New Years if all goes well.

Merry Xmas to all, time to sign off - it is beer o'clock downunder

·
David Collins
2,492 Posts
Serious about bears? Search for Britains Zoo Animals on eBay in Toys and Games/Diecast. They are 1/32. And you could pick up a few farm animals to feed the bears...

David

·
Registered
557 Posts
Finally some more substantial progress - still focusing on the borders - but at least from the start/finish line through turns 1 and 2 the outside borders have been done.

I am going to do a few more outside borders and then I will come back and add some proper landscaping - spectator embankments, rocks faces and grassy knolls.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The software is pretty damn good - I tried everything before this - I think Zipp pointed it out to me and it is a cut above the rest - not much on the manual side but once you work out how to use it all is good. I thinkt he only this it does not do is 3D i.e. cater fror rises and falls.

Greg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gregr,

Your track is amazing, I started with a digital gt set 6 weeks ago and got hooked. i have been looking at several tracks on this site and i like your current track the most.
I am attempting to squeeze it into a 12' by 6' table so the runs won't be as long. any suggestions for my resize. Your work is awesome, thank you for posting such great pictues.

Andrew

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey mate, thanks for the kind words.

Fitting it in 12' x 6' will be a challenge but how you go about it probably depends on whether you want 2 or 3 lanes and whether you want to run magnets or not.

I am not running magnets so I need to keep the corners more open and flowing and avoid R1's.

Best advise I can think of is to keep your mind open about cutting track to make custom curves - it makes a huge difference. Also if the track is going to be permanent, make your own borders - it is not that hard.

Finally, keep it simple - I started out with a lot more turns and over time things got simpler and the racing seems better.

Been away on hols and feeling a bit jet lagged but hopefully I will make some more progress this weekend on the scenery.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No rocket science involved here I am afraid.

The outside of the corners are Woodland Scenics turf - took the easy way and painted on some PVC glue and then sprinkled the turf.

The gap between the main straight and the pit wall is Woodland Ready Grass mat - easier option for this area.

Greg

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.