SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone able to post any pictures of the Three Spires track in Coventry - or any other Area 5 track from the late seventies to mid 80s for that matter?

This is where I did most of my slot racing before the financial pressures of early marriage made me give it all up and virtually give all my gear away.

Had some great times there and at the odd open meeting too. I still bump into Derek Cooper now and again and Tony Condon's excellent book has revived more than a few memories.

I've started following things again via the interweb thingy and am toying with getting involved again if only the tracks werent so far from me. Living right in the middle of the area covered by Dowty, Wellingboro, Luton and Oaklands means a 100 mile round trip for a club night.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
****: You'll be welcome at Luton any Monday you care to make the admittedly longish trek. I travel from Aylesbury. Equipment can be borrowed on the night. As we said to a visiting American this last week, spectating isn't an option! Rockingham (nee Wellingborough) have a fine facility newly opened too.

Shame that the Overthorpe Hall track isn't there any more, but I guess we're going back well over 40 years now. I recall the Three Spires club name from my schoolboy years reading Model Cars.

Cheers,

Richard
Luton SCC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bloomin 'eck Ralph, you remembered!!!!!!!!! Even now, I cannot believe that we got away with that full page advert in the April ECRA newsmag.

Now I really am going to have to save up some diesel and pay a few visits...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discovered the forum by total accident (but started by searching info on a certain Mr Brawn when his name came up in an office conversation and a colleague was amazed to discover I knew Ross in his pre-fame days).

Then spotted reference to Three Spires Model Raceway which brings back many memories as it was my second home for many years in the 70s/80s.

Hello Mr Metcalfe, long time no see. How's you? I have very few pics from those days, the man with the camera then was the late **** Bradbury. If I come across any images I will scan them and let you know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Keith - yes, it sure has been a long time!

Things are pretty good and I've even managed to get a reasonably successful career in motorsport but not quite to the dizzy heights of Mr Brawn!

Been interesting catching up with modern slot cars but I'm not sure I'm too keen on these sports and saloons without proper front wheels!

·
Registered
238 Posts
QUOTE (MickMetcalfe @ 29 Jan 2013, 21:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Keith - yes, it sure has been a long time!

Things are pretty good and I've even managed to get a reasonably successful career in motorsport but not quite to the dizzy heights of Mr Brawn!

Been interesting catching up with modern slot cars but I'm not sure I'm too keen on these sports and saloons without proper front wheels!
I seem to recall seeing your name mentioned when the silencer rules changed on speedway bikes

I haven't seen a real-life slot car since I quit in 1990, apart from slotstox when I raced 1 meeting per year for a few more seasons. Have been working in Edinburgh for a fair portion of the last 9 years and kept promising myself I'd pop along to a Barnton club night but never have got round to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cant say I was too proud of the silencer thing - too much unfinished business with it! In reality, that was just a sideshow to the main event which was helping a certain American gentlemen win the World Championship in 2011! Compared with all the WRC, BTCC and LeMans stuff I've achieved, working with Greg is the real deal!!!!

Cars are O.K but bikes are so much better...

·
Registered
238 Posts
QUOTE (MickMetcalfe @ 31 Jan 2013, 10:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cant say I was too proud of the silencer thing - too much unfinished business with it! In reality, that was just a sideshow to the main event which was helping a certain American gentlemen win the World Championship in 2011! Compared with all the WRC, BTCC and LeMans stuff I've achieved, working with Greg is the real deal!!!!

Cars are O.K but bikes are so much better...
Hancock certainly had a good season for an old guy (although Gollob winning the year before showed old men can still win lol)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts