SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just started to raise my head after surgery. Please excuse lack of searchign on my behalf. Im only able to sit for about 5 min which limits my ability to read etc.

is there a limit to the length of the hand throttle ext cables? I know you can buy them in certain lengths. But to me the connectors are standard parts that I can get to make my own. I just wondered if anyone has found a limit to cable length. As in the signal degrades to a point where it wont work.
Are we talking meteres or 10s of meters.

thats it for now thanks.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Hi mark.

I have extended a throttle cable before, but not by much. One thing you need to take into account is the throttle works by resistance so adding a longer cable of the same size conductor will give you more resistance, making the car slower & less responsive.

To get around the resistance you need to upgrade to size of the cable, the longer you need the bigger the cable.

How long do you need the cable to be !

Cheers
Paul.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Not so sure about slower and sluggish, remember the digital throttles work opposite to analogue ones, higher resistance is faster!

Calibration will sort out minor changes in resistance, but there will be a limit. So do use low resistance cable in your extension - and that means the thicker the wire the better.

We are talking metres, not tens of metres

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i have extended a throttle in the past by 2 meters and just used bell wire,there was no noticable difference in response.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I use 5m extension cables as standard but have used another 3m extension plugged in so that kids in wheelchairs could sit on a raised platform overlooking the track so I know that 8m works!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks guys.

I havent pulled the throttle apart yet(set is not in my local) so wasnt sure if there were smarts or not in it. I had assumed seeing as there was lane change, break buttons and throttle that it was digitised info going down the cable. Alas I seem to have over complicated it

8m should do us.
Once Im back on my feet as it were Ill do some playing.

cheers

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Suggest you don't open the throttle, just add an extension cord you can plug into to extend it and you will not have to reverse engineer it later if you do wireless or sell them or something else.
Cheers!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
There is one "gotcha" that no one has mentioned yet ............ the orifice where the controllers plug in is very tight on space and standard sized plugs will not fit in

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep Ill get a few plugs in and see which one fits best or its the trim job, or the old , throw away the plastic case and use hot glue and heat shrink to fashion your own.

Some info I found out whilst playing
Controller uses a 2.5mm phono jack possibly use (element14 1243260 or 152197) inline skt to suit =(152199 ) Will depend on problem stated above.

Controller uses s a typical weighted resistance ladder

Min throttle 4.75R
Maxthrottle 5.2k
Break 17.9k
LC 8.1K

All on 31.3k

Min throttle is quite low so I can see that long lengths of bad cable might cause a wont stop problem at min throttle. But otherwise the system is simple enough.

·
Greg Gaub
14,651 Posts
You measured one throttle. Others will differ. Min should be zero, max is 5k, brake is 18k, and LC is 8k.
I think. Could be off by a k here or there. Someone else will probably correct my mistakes on that.
Fortunately, the systems have a way to calibrate throttles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Greg, yeah +- resistance in cable and connections etc
. Smallest change (for the micro to discern) would be from full throttle (5k)to off Imeadiatley follwed by a LC signal(8k). A 2k window.. Masive in micro terms
More than ample to compensate for, not quite zero controllers/length leads.

So it looks good for me, Im looking at moving the location of the LC button, (really dont like where it is,must be my little hands). Well actually just add another one. Its a normally closed switch (short) and when pushed inserts an 8k res in series with the rest.Will have a read and a think first tho.

·
Greg Gaub
14,651 Posts
Do you try to control throttle and lane change with one hand? I've found that it's much easier to hold the throttle naturally in your normal hand to control the car, then hold the other hand above it with the thumb on the buttons to control lane change or brakes. It's almost impossible for me to control speed and lane change with the thumb and forefinger of the same hand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have tried both, indeed impossible to get good throttle control with the thumb hovering over the break LC buttons.Tthe left hand resting ontop is ok but I "drift" and sometimes hit the break instead of the LC.(maybe more practice would fix this) Im toying with the idea of a switch on the side where the thumb normally rests just a slight above. A twitch upward and in towards the controller with the thumb and theres your LC.

·
Greg Gaub
14,651 Posts
Yeah, I've hit brakes from time to time, usually just a brush with the side of my thumb. For that reason, I often disable the brake button. Slightly more resistant buttons, or a little more separation would be nice, but I like their position. I wish the slot.it controller had the buttons for LC on the top/back rather than the side (and below the knobs).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts