SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Anyone else tried the new Fly controllers?

Bought one on Sunday at Milton Keynes and it's great!

Silky smooth to the touch, nice rubber/plastic trigger, adjustable tension... well you saw the review.

I put my Parma 35 Ohm resistor in and its absolutly great, I love it!

Just can't stress enough how comfortable and smooth the controller is, everyone go out and buy one.

Lotus

PS. No, I don't work for Fly

Edit: By bun, I mean bin...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were three at Milton Keynes (maybe in the country?), I bought one, someone else bought one, and as far as I know the third one remains with the bloke who was selling them. Sorry all, don't remember his name.

Parma resistor fits right in, but I added a washer or too, just to bring it back a bit. This makes sure that you get full power about 1mm before the end of the trigger throw, I just prefere it like this.

The standard resistor (25, 45 or 60) isn't bad (very similar to Parma) but mine was poorly wound (I'm sure this will not be the same for all of them). The main reason I changed is because I wanted a 35 Ohm, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Needs no other adjustment! No farting about with resistor alignment or wiper tension like Parmas, it's just perfect.

Don't get me wrong, I love Parmas, but these controllers are just much better.

Lotus

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait! Don't everypne get them, then I'll lose the exclusivity! lol

See review on SCI

Lotus

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I dunno... the roofline isn't quite right, and it's a bit wide.

Kidding, Jonny, kidding!

Thanks, Lotus! Gonna be checking into these for sure!

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
To be totally fair though, and I think Scott and John were, you get virtually the same problems with a new Parma. I know - I have 8 of them - 5 Turbos and 3 Econos. In a perfect world, none of them should need any tweaking at all, and like my feelings on RTR chassis, I wish the manufacturers would pay more attention to QA, but it doesn't sound like Fly has any more problems than the ubiquitous Parma.

I'm getting really keen to see one of these!

Pernickety, Tropi? Naw.... just a little crusty in your old age...

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Their review was as good as I have ever seen on any product - painstakingly thorough and exceedingly informative.
Agreed about the Parmas.
But being a crusty AND pernickety old bugger, I reckon the little problems shouldn't happen with the Parmas either and that it does, is not an excuse for a much more recent design to exhibit similar characteristics.
A resistor controller ain't exactly rocket science!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
just a note - 2 of my 3 red fox controllers also needed messing about with to make em work. Only controllers that seem reliable are the scalextric ones that came with me set, but they r 65 ohms

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE A resistor controller ain't exactly rocket science!

Not familiar with the Canadian space program, eh?

·
Registered
274 Posts
everyone,
I have tried the new Fly Controller.I thought the controller worked well and was certainly very,very comfortable.

Iceman

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
slightly OT, but I was looking up the NSR website (www.nsrslot.it ) - in the English version Salvatore's comments on Parmas aren't really PC, but entertaining !

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
It's really great to see Fly making controllers -- hopefully they will start producing their own track system sometime soon as well!

I do however wonder why people still use "resistor" controllers? Electronic controllers are so much better, being almost infinitely adjustable they can be fine tuned to your driving style, and the same controller can be used for a wide variety of cars.

At 32.00 Euro's (around $40.00), plus the cost of a replacement Parma resistor (11.60 Euro), the Fly controller competes with the Professor Motor PMTR2044 1/32 Ninco & Scalextric Sport and the PMTR2062 Carrera "home track model" electronic controllers - that have directly compatible plugs, with brakes, at $47.95.

PMTR2044:

PMTR2062:

I took the leap to electronic controllers when I purchased an "Omni" back in the early 90's, when I raced open class Eurosport cars, and have owned a DiFalco as well. My current controller is a Slot Wiz, it is suitable for racing all cars from Scalextric to Eurosport, and I will probably never buy another controller! The Slot Wiz controller features a variable resistor block, allowing you to vary the "curve" characteristics, as well as adjustable brakes. It's expensive though...

If you have not tried an electronic controller yet, you really should. For Scalextric club racing, the Professor Motor controllers are excellent.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
164 Posts
Gazumped by Russell

Lotus, I was going to ask how much it cost. There is also a favourable test on HRW that made the point that the Fly controller only costs $3.00 less than the PM.

And this is for the standard version. Anyone know what the "professional" version with the polarity switch will cost?

Steve

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought mine for... wait for it....

£24

RRP is £27 I believe.

That's £16 less than a Parma Turbo, and god knows how much less than a PM.

Unfortunatly, in USA they have to pay quite a bit more for them. I think PMs are made in the USA (does anyone know?) so that would make the prices closer to them, but for UK residents I think the Fly controller is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I recently tried a PM controller and I'm beginning to see why people like electronic controllers, but the PM adjustable brake kit looks a little complex! It may well be more cost effective for me to get an adjustable box on the end of my parma controller than obtain a PM with adj.brakes. Depends on what turns up at the right price

Mark.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts