SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornby are no doubt going to be including MotoGP bikes within the SPORT World racing platform when it is finally offered to the public later in the year.

There is no doubt in my mind that the MotoGP bikes are going to tilt when they corner on the race SPORT World race monitor/screen.

This is going to make for some wicked viewing and playbacks of MotoGP races for the audience watching the SPORT World monitors.

And no doubt the degree of tilt on the playback will be linked to how skilfully you take the corner when you race the MotoGP bike.

Its going to be almost as good as the Baggies getting promotion again to the Premiership.

Boing Boing!

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
I don't agree with Tropi (inevitabley!
). To watch the race event at the club panning out on big screen TV, or any TV, with a digitally produced picture whilst waiting for your turn to race is certainly going to enhance the club experiance.

At the moment all you get at best with timing software are horizontal lines on a TV monitor to advise you where the cars are relative to one another.

It is going to be much more entertaining to watch screen action of the race circuit including crashes and tilting bikes. Yes you can watch the cars going around but to have the option of viewing an animated experiance may well prove equally entertaining and has to add to the entertainment. I don't see how it can't really.

It was rather entertaining to watch the cars at the London Toy Fair on the big screens provided by Hornby. In fact large crowds gathered around and it was almost like watching live motor action but with more frequent and spectactular crashes. NASCAR type events could be a lot of fun to watch as I suspect Hornby picked up most of the crash sequences from that form of motor sport. F1 crashes these days can be a bit boring by comparison to those at NASCAR.

One of the joys of slot car racing if having a spectactular crash without any risk of personal injury. Hornby once made a Battlespace Turbo Car that had a big plastic spike on the front! Now a favourite thing to do was to watch this whizzing around at eye level. You can draw your own conclusions as to what happened. The plastic spike was quickly changed to rubber!

Also remember that you can create your own digital scenery where you may simple have a circuit at the club with no scenery at all. All the bends can be named and it is certainly going to help the race comentator to have "Murray Walker" style TV displays in front of him to see what is happening on the far side of the club circuit.

Lets just give it a go before we make up our mind on this one.

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
QUOTE On the tenth anniversary of Senna's death these words are truly pathetic - There are human beings in those crashes, Mope. But it would be a pathetic thing to say at any time.

What about all those fighting and killing games? Should wars be stopped as a result of the carnage that we witness in these games? Wankel is linking virtual reality with real life and that is in bad taste in my book.

Don't get me wrong but I am a realist and racing drivers know the risks and crashes do happen. My cousin is (or was) a racing driver in Formula Ford and stock cars and he has crashed and walked away. The Senna issue was not just that he crashed but that the car did not stand up to the impact combined with a lack of run off and a barrier that could have had a better design. It was sadly also just very bad luck. There has been far worse since and the driver has walked away from the car. Since Senna safety has moved on and cars are more robust which is to be applauded by all who watch motorsport.

Virtual crashing is somewhat different and Wankel conveniently forgot to mention that I did say after the quote that Wankel selected that one of the joys of slot car racing is that you can have a spectactular crash without any risk of injury.

Players of virtual reality games like to see spectacular crashes built into the game design and this is something that Hornby have built in to the SPORT World platform. My guess is that most Slotforum members do not play virtual reality racing games and do not understand the market for such games. Hornby appear to and no doubt new "Slotforum type" message boards will spring up for those folk who embrace the new age of SPORT World where they will be able to natter about the new slot car future and set up races without the messages from the dinosuars of the old generation. (Before I am spammed I only use that expression because it is one used by them and they are big enough to admit that they are!
)

There is room for all in the slot car world and Slotforum appears to be supported by the older generation who broadly appear to be not approving. There are now 1,000,000 Xbox online gamers and countless more PS2 and PC online gamers. There no doubt is an overlap as some of the online gamesters are also slot car racers and those who are in the overlap will welcome the opportunity to combine the two as one.

People need to move with the times and no doubt message boards and some clubs will.

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK bad choice of words if it has meant that some folk have taken the message the wrong way. A crash is a crash no matter how it happens and the drivers get paid a lot of money for the risks they take and they know full well what they are getting into. Nobody wishes any injury on a driver but sometimes things happen.

It would have been better to have said that crashes in NASCAR tend to be more spectacular these days by comparison with Formula 1.

Given that slot cars crash then any software that is designed to replicate on a TV screen what you see in real life relative to what you see on the slot car circuit by its very nature has to simulate how cars crash. That may mean that folk may have to watch many crashes in order to provide the simulation. In the same way that actors may watch certain things to help them play a part. Thats life.

And remember that folk here at Slotforum have already said that they are looking forward to seeing the MotoGP motorcyclist fall off the MotorGP bike as they crash.

I wonder how Hornby are going to replicate that on the big screen?

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
I speak as I find based on experiance of having a family who bring their chums home, and lots of neices and nephews who enjoy racing sims, and work colleagues who talk about the latest race sim thay have at home. The crashes do appear to be a key component of the fun of the game.

And to be fair lotus03 you seem to be falling into the same trap that you are acusing me of falling into by alledging that you speak for a majority when it may well be just your own view and opinion.

Why don't we carry out a poll as this appears to be a sensitive area for some folk here?

In terms of my cousin he did a roll in a stock car once but fortunately for him he walked away. There have been other times when ambulances have been called in for other drivers and other types of accidents. It didn't stop my cousin from continuing to race. He has now retired from motor sport and runs a pub so you are welcome at anytime to visit him and talk with him about his race experiances!

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Integrale knows something that you don't lotus03 so you have absolutely no idea. Ask Intergrale but keep it off the board if you would.

You probably were not around when Jim Clark and Graham Hill lost their lives. Everybody has their motoring heroes and Graham Hill happened to be one of mine. I was fortunate enough to shake his hand at an airport once. A truely great man who had time to speak to his fans and he happened to love flying as well as motor racing.

Who remembers the Graham Hill/Jackie Stewart shows that regularly appeared on "Sports Personality of the Year". Don't let the crash of Ayrton Senna blind you to the sad passing of other great drivers.

And this is totally off the topic of MotoGP and tiliting bikes so we probably have Wankel to thank for the interjection.

Moped

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.