SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey guys; Gordo Bond 007 here again. So I can't help but wonder when someone is going to make a decent looking and performing Ferrari 308 or 328 slot car.

Ya I know that Scalextric made one a couple years ago, but they chose to do the rally version, which happened to be decorated in some of the most hideous liveries ever, and then they also had those grotesque rally lights on the front of them.

I would like to see someone do a proper road going version painted in lovely scarlet paint.

The 308 was the car that really turned Ferrari into a house hold name, and yet for some reason, it has been over looked by most of the major slot car companies and the specialty resin body manufacturers.

I think that the Magnum PI tie in alone would be make the 308 a natural choice for someone to make.

I know that the biggest issue facing this car is the fact that it didn't race much, so liveries are somewhat limited.
But I would argue that there have been many slot cars that have been made, and then only released in one or two liveries.
Case in point being the 308 that Scalectric made, it was only ever issued in two liveries.
Why go to the expense of creating the body and then only producing 2 liveries for it?

Even if there wasn't a ton of racing liveries, it is a car that looked wonderful in many different colors.

I am sure that someone could figure out how to produce a few different configuration of this car, (ie Targa Roof or Coupe) by simply making a few small changes to the molds.

Heck even the 288 GTO isn't too far of a stretch....

Also there was a "one of" 308 GT4 that was developed with the help of Niki Lauda, but which never saw the race track until years later.

So anyway, I am curious, if someone were to make a decent version of car, would you buy one?

If there are any particular liveries that would convince you to buy one, then please share a picture of it here on this thread. Never know who might be reading these forums, maybe we could convince someone out there to make this car, if we show some enthusiasm on this thread.

So there is your mission should you choose to accept it! Lets get this car made!!!!

Gordo BOnd 007

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Bloody hell. I`ve gone blind looking at the first two photos......

The No76 car would be a nice slot.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
As carrera still have the sole rights to release a Ferrari slot car it would have to be from them. I did wonder about removing the lights, tidying up the holes and doing a reply on the Scalextric rally version but never have the time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE I did wonder about removing the lights, tidying up the holes and doing a reply on the Scalextric rally version but never have the time.

I have thought about that too, but I am still hoping that Scalley might see the light, and do the work themselves.

Unfortunately Carrera won't let that happen until their exclusive Ferrari deal expires, but heres hoping.

As far as the GTB 4 car goes, I think that , that would be a natural fit for a company like G-M-C Slot Cars or Proto Slot, since there was only ever the one car built.

Gordo

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hopefully a nice proper hard top road model will eventually appear. It would be a shame to see one made ugly with numbers and silly advertisements.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't know how old Mr Gordo is but my memory goes back to the 308 that scalextric made (in the Spanish factory) which was and still is, if you can find one, a good looking decent runner. I had a couple of the English released versions and there were some Spain only liveries too. Pioneer and 7up coming to mind straight away. Fantasy paint jobs perhaps but very nice to collect. Wishing I'd kept the 7up version as that is now very hard to fine. They always get snapped up on Fleabay so clearly it's a popular car. As for the last Scaley version......................................................

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
QUOTE (not alone after all @ 28 Jul 2012, 08:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know how old Mr Gordo is but my memory goes back to the 308 that scalextric made (in the Spanish factory) which was and still is, if you can find one, a good looking decent runner.

Actually, that was a 288 GTO, not a 308. I have the rally version in Pioneer livery that came 2nd in the Tour de Corse and should have been a 308.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Ok, I'm going to be the one to ask: 308, 328, 288... what's the difference?

Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
66 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 30 Jul 2012, 11:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not so.

When Hot Wheels had the same deal, Hornby still produced models.

I think the licence only applies to certain products that they produce, Hotwheels use the licence to produce diecast cars but others companies such as Tamiya and Revell were able to produce plastic kits and in Tamiyas case radio control cars of Ferrari's but had to have a Hotwheels logo somewhere on the box to say who owns that part of the licence.
Scaley made Ferrai's a couple of years back and appear to have been the only mainstream company to do so at the time, now Carrera own the "slot car" part of the licence now so it's really up to them for the time being what cars get made into slot cars though i'm not sure how this would affect the garden shed resin builders?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I hear you. But the fact was Scalex produced their Ferrari slot cars under licence from Mattel and Ferrari during that period, not Ferrari alone.

Granted Carrera would likely not be so accommodating, as they would view Scalex as a direct rival, but it is not as cut and dried as Wraith implied.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (richardtheforth @ 30 Jul 2012, 01:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, I'm going to be the one to ask: 308, 328, 288... what's the difference?

Well, in the most basic sense the numbers indicate 3.0L V8, 3.2L V8, and 2.8L V8. (inexact) Otherwise, head over to wikipedia for the rest...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts