SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much time spent on Scalextric track designer and frequent `doodles` at work when i get a spare minute, i feel its time to bounce some ideas of you guys!
However go easy on me, this is my first post despite viewing these pages a lot!!

About 5-6 years ago, i used to have a large layout up in the loft. This occupied a space of around 10ft by 8 ft and was Classic track. I was a young boy when i first got into Scalex when there were the great cars such as the Ford Sierras and the chunky F1 cars of the late eighties! Once i had my own place, it had to be done, and a comprehensive layout including Hazard sections with Lights, full classic pit lane and even the Rare Dunlop Crosswalk stood proud above my bedroom. Everything that i had wanted some 15 years later! After some time, and moving hobbies across to Rc, i sold everything i had.

After one of those discussions with a friend the other day that i am sure we have all had, i decided to view some ebay pages...... everyone knows what happens next! I purchased a Classic Silverstone F1 set MIB with the Williams Honda of Nige himself and the Legandary Jps Lotus of the sadly gone but never forgotten Aryton.

Now i am torn and need help. I am basically hoping to build a new layout, in a more modern theme. The main criteria i want is to have a set-up that i can use on my own and race against a computer-controlled car, as well as have a functional pit lane that you can drive into, stop and drive out of for when mates come over. Something that looks realistic

I would really like to use as much old track as possible, one because i love the `lighted` sections, but also because of cost and availabilty. I would however intend to run just the front main straight with digital track sections so i can run a split into the pit-lane and out again. That brings me onto space.

I have a space as i mentioned of 10x8 ft (slightly raised from the floor) with the option of adding an additional section of 4x2 to one corner (bottom right as you look at it) to effectively create a front space of 14ft..... a nice long straight. This would allow me to have the pit entry sections at the extremes of the straight followed by a further two pit entrys to split the Pit Lane itself into two lanes thus allowing me to have a couple of straight lane changers.

I am hoping you guys can advise if running the classic with digital will cause any issues, and for the more experienced to come up with a good looking layout, because everything i seem to design looks a little plain... Dont mind bridges, but would prefer it to be flat..

One other thing and that is i prefer to have NO magnets lol..... Prefer using a more realistic looking speed requiring more skill... just incase that effects the layout as far as you guys are concerned....

Thanks guys!!

·
Greg Gaub
14,669 Posts
The only problem with using classic is that the guide must be shallower to run in it, while Sport can have deeper guides. Not REALLY a "problem" per se, just a nuisance.
Let's see what you've got so far.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi there,

Seeing how you seem to have gone RC and now back to slots I would say that you are probably ok with spending money on the hobby. (Ok, this is just based on my personal experience).
Not sure if classis track mates with the modern sport track, if not I think there are adapters. If you dont mind the guide "issue" then you are ok. In the end it probably cheaper to replace guides than to buy new track.

Now for the digital part, since you have scalextric track it would make sense to invest in Scalextric sport digital equipment. However I will point out that you came into the hobby at a great time in terms of digital. You now have SSD (scalextric Digital) Oxigen (what I have and LOVE) and Scorpius (which is also a good platform - had it also). Greg (the guy above me has also experience with all 3).

The nice thing about Oxigen, is two things IMO, you get a nice electronic controller that can we used wirelesly, a nice powerful chip for the car that so far has proven to handle some nice motors (which is a limitation of a stock SSD system) and you get the ability to use the SSD lane changers which are the best out there. (because of their length) (you also have carrera's but they are a different topic).

There are also aftermarket upgraded SSD chips and a modded controller that is wireless... I do not have experience with those, they look nice but the slot.it controller and its functions are top notch.
However, SSD would be your most economical path and is a great system. (been there also).

In regards to track design, I read you want the LCs on the straight. Well while its good to have one or two at the end or begining of a straight, I find that most times you will change lanes on a main straight.
However you may consider "shorter" straights in which you can strategically place an LC. There is different approaches to this. I often find that I will shift the LC up or down a 1/2 straight here and there.

I hope this information if helpful. Why don't you post some of your layout ideas so we can comment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 24 May 2012, 21:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only problem with using classic is that the guide must be shallower to run in it, while Sport can have deeper guides. Not REALLY a "problem" per se, just a nuisance.
Let's see what you've got so far.

Yeah i had notice that the groove was slightly shallower. There are only really a few cars that i`d really like, but i have no doubt that list will grow, so if i do have to trim a bit off the Guide blades so be it. I also gather clean rails are important but was thinking of Copper taping them. Will this help eradicate some of the connection issues?
I`ll try and load a plan up tomorrow from the office computer. Not sure if its me, but the Free Download version of Scalextric Track Designer doesn`t seem to work as well as the Disc version....?? At present i only have whats in the set, but i will look to buy the Classic Hazard sections.

I notice from looking on the interweb, that the new Six Car Powerbase will give me the best of both worlds and allow me to do everything i want with the layout. Looks like that would be a good addition next to get the ball rolling.

·
Greg Gaub
14,669 Posts
First off, don't waste too much time trying to get the Scalextric track designer working. If it won't work when running it as an administrator, then it probably will never work, and even then it's unreliable. If you want free, go with Ultimate Racer 3. If you want easy to use and good looks (IMHO), go with TrackPower. I use TrackPower, and feel it's worth every penny I paid.

Next, since you only have the one set worth of track, you might seriously consider going 100% Sport instead. I totally understand the appeal of those cool classic pieces. Many of us wish they would release them in Sport. But, when it comes down to it, the lane changers alone are MORE than enough "hazard" for a track. Squeezes and chicanes and crossovers and all that are fun for a 2 lane analog track to get you that car interaction, but digital already HAS REAL car interaction. Adding forced interaction with those classic pieces just makes things bad. Digital sets used to come with a "racing curve" crossover piece, but they no longer do. Many of us used them for a while, since we had them, but eventually learned that they cause more problems which outweighed any benefit from the forced lane swap. All these things are 10x more important when you start thinking about pace cars, which you also mentioned. As such, I strongly recommend saving your money, at least for now, and not get those classic pieces. Set up a digital track with a couple lane changers, and if you still want more places for cars to crash, then add them. ;-)

Yes, the new 6 car base is the way to go. I've seen upgrade kits including the new base rather than the (lame) 4 car base, but if you can afford it, I recommend the Digital Platinum set. Even at full retail price it's a good deal for everything that comes in it, and you can usually find it for a couple hundred LESS than full retail. Shop around and get a good deal, 'cus you'll be spending a lot more to buy it all piecemeal.

I'm sure your classic set is great. Nothing wrong with it. But if you really want to go Scalextric Digtial, unless you have a MASSIVE load of classic track screaming to be used, I think it would be better to focus on Sport track.

As for power, I recommend a good crimp of the rails, and a few well placed power taps (jumpers). An anti-oxidation treatment such as INOX MX3 will keep the rails nice and rust-free, while making sure the digital cars work well without constant cleaning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks for the replies. Lots to mull over....

Money wise, yes if i have it spare i will spend it on hobbies...
I perhaps just `adjust` the price slightly when telling the mrs.... sure i`m not alone there.

One other reason i liked the idea of the Classic track was the texture. I found that when i have used Sport in the past, the grip levels were not as good when removing the magnets due to the smooth surface. I do take on board what you are saying though. The new Sport track will be after all `new` even if second hand. As you say, i do only have a sets worth atm, so can still easily make the jump. Perhaps its me holding onto the past!
How do i attach a file from my Computer??? Cant seem to see a button to do it....but then it is quite early ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (scalexdoza @ 25 May 2012, 08:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow thanks for the replies. Lots to mull over....

Money wise, yes if i have it spare i will spend it on hobbies...
I perhaps just `adjust` the price slightly when telling the mrs.... sure i`m not alone there.

One other reason i liked the idea of the Classic track was the texture. I found that when i have used Sport in the past, the grip levels were not as good when removing the magnets due to the smooth surface. I do take on board what you are saying though. The new Sport track will be after all `new` even if second hand. As you say, i do only have a sets worth atm, so can still easily make the jump. Perhaps its me holding onto the past!
How do i attach a file from my Computer??? Cant seem to see a button to do it....but then it is quite early ...

...dont worry i read a post on how so i have created a Photobucket account. Hopefully this will work. Let me know what you think. Very much open to ideas.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi scalexdoza
Mr Flippant is right on the money sport track is the way to go, there is loads of it on fleabay that people can't give away.
If you stick with Classic to run with digital you are in for a load of pain!

Cheers
brembo

·
Last Place is my Place
573 Posts
i like it, maybe put an straight lane changer (xlc) at the far straight of the track? also moving all xlc's as close to the corner a possible, and maybe though in othe corner radii for more of a challange

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
QUOTE (scalexdoza @ 24 May 2012, 18:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would really like to use as much old track as possible, one because i love the `lighted` sections, but also because of cost and availabilty.

By lighted did you mean these kind of things?

If so I would of thought the LEDs and circuit board from the bottom of one of those classic pieces could probably be transplanted and added to a piece of sport track or maybe even a digital lane changer.

I should have a couple of those in my parents' loft so next time I am back there I will have to fish them out because I think it could look quite cool. Not to mention having the lane changers highlighted for night time racing would be potentially very useful too.

Alternatively something similar could be rigged up with a bunch of LEDs and an arduino or similar to control their flashing sequence.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (asjwood @ 25 May 2012, 11:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>By lighted did you mean these kind of things?

If so I would of thought the LEDs and circuit board from the bottom of one of those classic pieces could probably be transplanted and added to a piece of sport track or maybe even a digital lane changer.

I should have a couple of those in my parents' loft so next time I am back there I will have to fish them out because I think it could look quite cool. Not to mention having the lane changers highlighted for night time racing would be potentially very useful too.

Alternatively something similar could be rigged up with a bunch of LEDs and an arduino or similar to control their flashing sequence.

Ha! YES thats exactly what i mean. I had all of them, the changeovers, the short chicane with the additional straight section and the Hazard one too as you have pictured here.

With the Lane changers, i had not added one to the top straight as it is a bit tricky to get to if a car comes off, but i could always add on in the short squirt before the tight hair-pin?

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was a little lame, but i guess with Scenic Materials it could look quite cool. I was going to use the Carrera Buildings as i love the design and look of those, especially the Pit garages.

·
Greg Gaub
14,669 Posts
Your design is a great start, and I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on that.

As for sport track and grip, well, you're right. But, you can get great grip on sport with a quick sanding of the rear tires, or a full-on truing. A little oil helps, too. It's also quite common to replace tires, and there are a lot of things you can try in that vein. Just note that for the best grip, it's best to choose between silicone or rubber and urethane. Switching between them (as you do when different cars have different tires) will prevent the best grip for all of them. If you go silicone, stick with silicone, otherwise, avoid them.

As I said before, the hazards are cool, and it's hard to compete with the nostalgia factor, but there will be more than enough car interaction by sharing lanes and having lane changers. Sooner or later those hazards become annoyances. You said pace cars are a feature you look forward to, well... the pace cars can't see where your car is, and will barrel right through it at every single one of those hazards. More than one pace car would be a nightmare of constant crashes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Doza,

With respect to pace cars, there are several parts of your layout that would be problematic for pace cars. Namely the R1 turns at the end of straights. I would strongly recommend using the R1s in slow sections of the layout.

QUOTE (scalexdoza @ 24 May 2012, 11:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One other thing and that is i prefer to have NO magnets lol..... Prefer using a more realistic looking speed requiring more skill... just incase that effects the layout as far as you guys are concerned....

If you really do prefer a more realistic speed requiring more skill, then the loss of traction by switching over to sport track would be a bonus right?
Also, you may find that trued tires, oiled tires and or urethane tires allow the cars to handle far beyond realistic speeds.

I have gone to great lengths to slow some of my cars down to achieve more diverse and realistic driving experiences. The most drastic being nail polish on the real tires.

Another advantage of running slower cars is that it is a LOT easier to get pace cars to run a slow speeds.

As for feedback on your layout - my best feedback would be to experiment a lot. Try different radius turns, try increasing and decreasing radius turns, try a banked turn, try an off camber turn, etc. Only then will you really know what you like.

Ok, one last thought on your layout...
Something you may find is that having a short straight, then a turn, then a short straight, then a turn, etc does not lend itself to a comfortable driving experience as you can never really accellerate for one straight but feel like you should be. The common term would be 'flow', or in your case, lack of 'flow'. This isn't bad, it is just different. Bottom line - if you like it, it is right.

Experiment and enjoy!

Mike

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Hi,
This is a collection of compound curves mostly suggested by Hankscorpio to give you an idea of what is achievable:

View attachment 10087
The ideas for the rt angle bends come from Ember

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been very busy the last few days, but have thought a lot about the input you have all given me and have come up with something i`m pretty happy with.

I have managed to incorporate a lot of differing radius turns so thank you for the tips on that. Having looked at what i originally come up with compared to this, i think i would have got bored with my old layout quite quickly! To me this looks like it should be good fun to drive!

Check it out and see what you think. Open to more ideas and suggestions!

http://s1147.photobucket.com/albums/o549/a...=scalexdigi.jpg

On top of that, i managed to win one of the latest 6 car Powerbase units on Ebay for just £40-albeit with no box, but is in good used condition and with a saving of over £60 on a new one, i cant complain! Now just need to source the track sections, so i will no doubt purchase a few old sets over the next few weeks!

Space is now clear in the loft too, so now the ball is rolling!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would really get rid of the sqeeze or relocate it to a slower section.
also, I was never a fan of using XLC for a pit, but it you like it then its cool.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
the latest design looks superb, as mentioned above the xlc in the pit ares can be a pain when a pitlane speed limiter is applied as the cars are going to stall on the dead spot on the flipper every time..

So if you want to stick with them have a look at the mod entitled powering the flipper as it will show you how to mod them to allow power to the flipper at either posistion, but is not a straight forward job..

Or much easier is to use some of the old classic track x overs and use a converter from classic to sport track,these are available in packs of 2 and are half a straight long each..

Congrats on the ebay win as the price for these units new in my local model shop is £150 so you have saved quite a bit there wich no doubt you can put towards some more digital goodies..

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
You proposed layout looks like a modified version of Astro's Catalunya layout!

Congrats on the APB purchase. I also scored a new one on "that auction site". There are quite a few for sale right now far below the "suggested retail pricing" on the Scalextric web sites.
Also, look for the 15v/5A Toshiba power supplies on the web as they cost far less that the Scalex brand.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
The powered flipper mod works and you will need it if you are keeping the XLC in the pitlane. I am in the process of doing 36 of them for my track at the moment, There is a video showing how to do it, though we've discovered there are a few changes you can make to make it easier. Read the threads by K31th and RikoRocket on the subject.

I would probably lose the squeeze as well, but if you want to keep it I would reverse it so that the swerve is towards the pit wall (more realistic).

I like XLCs in the pitlane!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As ever thank you for all the feedback.

I can loose the squeeze. Its no problem. Just thought the main straight looked a little bare, but then i have to consider that the cars are going to be going pretty quick at the point.

I`ll look into that thread. Had not seen anything about that before so i`ll go hunting.... thank you.

I spent a lot of time looking at various other designs and even world circuits. I think its pretty close to Estoril too....

Looking forward to getting it all together and trying it.

I`ll get some pics going of the progress once its up and assembled!!

Cheers again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts