SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am back after a long break and will be moving soon.

(Destroy old track again and make a new one)

my plan is the built a routed scenic track No4 and i need some advice.

What Timing system can you recomend and why?

What Power Suply can you recomend and why?

And what Controllers would match the previous mentioned 2?

Any help will be greatly apreciated!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Jaak
A few questions to help give a proper answer.

What are the most powerful motors you plan to use.
How many lanes are you having (if analogue)
How many cars are you having on at once (if digital)

You need a power supply with enough current to run all the cars at once. Simply multiplying the max current per car by the number of cars on at once gives the maximum current you'll need. Some types of motor take 10 times as much current as others, so its best to work it our properly rather than risk vast overkill or hopelessly inadequate.

The controller needs to match the car (in analogue).

·
Greg Gaub
14,987 Posts
Look like good choices all around. Check the amp rating on the slot.it controller, though, and compare to the amp draw of the 16d motors. The normal slot.it controllers are made for 1/32 motors, and might not be able to take the higher draw of the 1/24 motors, depending on what models you're using. They make a high amp cartridge for their controllers for those who need more power. I got one for my slot.it controller, so that I could use it at the commercial 1/24 track when I visit, and it works great for my 1/32 cars as well, of course. It would be nice if slot.it were to package the controller and the high amp cartridge for a small savings, but I don't think they do.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The Slot It controller manual says the standard cartridge is rated at 6 amps peak.
That'll be OK for the basic early 16d's, but some of the more exotic classic 16d motors take well over that.
That might just be enough for a modern 16d, but its pretty marginal, it won;t be enough for a modern super 16d.
That's fine for the sort of motors usually used in plastic chassis 1/32s, but inadequate for the quicker 1/32s

If you want to go with Slot It, the high amp cartridge would be advisable.
There are lots of threads on the merits of different controllers if that is still of interest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts