SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Some of you will know that I have started on a BIG rallytrack and part of my 'old' smaller rallytrack will be built into the new one.

I wanted to try a few ideas before I start on the big one and I wanted a track that would fit in the play den for 'off stage' practice. I thought if I am going to do a small track then I might as well do one that will fit into the back of my Astra Van. My van is the one that looks like an estate with no windows so it's not huge so this would probably go into most hatchbacks with the rear seats down.

The table size is 44" x 65" - I did tell you it was small

It's laid out on the floor of my workshop and the camera is on charge so I should have some pictures later. Obviously I need to cut a few sections and make one custom squeeze section so I will need to take a look at how Zipp did that

Here is the track plan ...

Only one lane changer so obviously one lap is both lanes if that makes sense - Lap length is amazingly about 13.5 metres.

It will be wired with brakes and be able to run in both directions.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning to solder links for every section of track on the big one - this is obviously going to be a HUGE job so I want to try that out on a smaller track first.

On my last track I noticed quite a bit of track growth with temp changes and it got VERY tight in places where it was sunk into the MDF so thats something I want to play around with too.

I also have quite a bit of spare classic track so it seemed better to do this rather than stick it all in a box somewhere.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This one is going to be completely flat so there is no way it will be as funky as Nitro's or Zipp's.

That said there will be some low-level scenery but I havn't come up with an idea for a theme - possibly a scrap yard ? driving around oil cans, piles of bits of broken cars, old fridge freezers and dodging a vicous alsatian chained up to something

I just worked out there is another track hack going in there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tamiya do these nice oildrums and jerry cans. Not quite the right scale (1/48th) but I am sure they will look close enough.

Now where do I find a 1/32nd Alsation or Rotweiler ?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Tamiya do those in 1/35 scale too Rob, also dogs but they take some finding these days, I think they were with a German Staff Command Post or something.

I have one of these Ninco Track Master sets, the 'RAID' one and am in the process of building it into a portable permenant layout so we can rent it out from the Club for private functions and also take it to flee markets in the area as advertising for Swiss Race Bahn. I will stick pics up when done.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Didn't 'Britons' do a 1/32 range of farmyard vehicles and figures? Maybe they still do.
Chickens and the like do not even have to be exact scale, they could just be tiny scrawny chickens that you could set the dog on or 'big f off mothers' that you would let keep their eggs if they didnt want you to have them

I'll get my coat....

I have a packet from Spain waiting and if it what I THINK it is....
BRB in another thread.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL

Yup found some britains chickens and your post re the Tamiya stuff was spot on. I am just drawing up a small track mod and then I am getting the knife out

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
[/QUOTE]I also need some chickens blink.gif
Try "Yellow pages"....Motorcycles... Royal Henfield or BSA Bantam

Sorry

Tom.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OH no - not more chicekn motorcycles

Maybe the dog should be called "pooch maxi"

ok back to the plot

here is the revised track with a new name - thats it now, where is that Stanley knife ?

·
770 Posts
QUOTE This one is going to be completely flat

C'mon Rob, don't be chikun,
Your Astra aint a GT40, it has headroom.
You must be able to accomodate some elevation on your track.
The central hairpin is just begging to tuck under the top L/H curve.
With a carved out rock tunnel effect.

Track translation.."by work effort to the back of the Vauxhall".

Cheers, Tom.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NO NO NO NO

This is just a quick and easy project that will hang from the wall when not in use - it's going to be flat. I will have enough fun with elevation on the big track.

I won't be tempted - nope - no way

off to google for homies

I need 2 men who will be working in the scrap yard - bloke one will be the guy who buys your scrap car, his expression will be saying "sorry mate, don't get much call for them now" - the other bloke will be talking to a punter about a part off your car you just left there for nothing - his expression will be saying to said punter " you're dead lucky mate, rare as hens teeth, these and very sought after"

·
770 Posts
Might need a bit of truing and glueing there - they look like real dogs....

Tom.

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
Hi Rob...I've always had a passion for Go-karting, and have wondered how 1:1 cars would handle in such a track...may make a good base for your new track....good luck

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I found the knife and the first 'custom' section of track is ready.

This is the swerve at the top of the plane done ...

and I still have all my fingers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.