SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
This issue comes up periodically on the Italia Slot forum (again yesterday, it drew 67 comments in two hours !), and we all know that tires are even more important in (non-mag) slot racing than in F1

Presently, rules in Italy allow glueing tires to rims : this has spawned a coterie of "sorcerers" who expand/soften tires with a first potion, and then "treat" them with another one - after glueing to rims, tires are of course turned down to the desired diameter

As you can imagine, this is getting out of hand, and there are three schools of thought - each with a leading proponent :

- Maurizio Ferrari is in favor of non glued/non turned tires - i.e. either tires are handed out by the race organization, or you buy your choice at the event

- Salvatore Noviello is proposing handout glued/turned tires

- MB suggests free tires, but not glued - the idea being that an excessively treated tire will come off the rim

Now, what are YOUR experience/comments on this subject ?

Ciao
Beppe

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I support the glue and true brigade but with NO other added potions or extras, which would negate all the work by these scorcerous coteries.

The reason I glue tyres to rims is simply to prevent them expanding under acceleration and coming off the rim, the reason for truing is patently obvious. This is all assuming the rims and axles are true in the first place of course

I also support the use of aftermarket tyres when standard supplied ones are often simply not up to scratch.

I don't see the need for additives or track adhesion treatments, these just ruin the track in my opinion, especially when there is such a plethora of arftermarket tyres to suit any conditions.

Handing out tyres on the day of the Event, to be glued and trued on site seems to be the fairest way and most (all?) serious event racers have tyre truers right?

A point that would seem to go against my argument is that I really liked the format in Igualada last year, where stock Slot.It tyres were handed out at the event for use as and when needed (we got through 6 pairs
) there was no time to glue and true, nor was that in fact needed. They got trued in use on the great axles and rims supplied with the Slot.It Porsche 956s we raced.

It worked well but I guess any event I organised would allow gluing and truing.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
speaking frm a sorcerers point of view I always treat my tyres but we run dry on the track ,most tyres can be improved and every racer looks for an edge,the only other option would be silicons or ortmans as what you have is what you get there are no improvements to be made other than truingand gluing

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm absolutely clear that I approve of gluing and truing.
However, I am very much against additives.
The problem here is in ascertaining whether additives have been used and I suspect it is insoluble. It would seem that the most pragmatic solution is to stipulate that the tire must be 'dry' and in no way mark the track. Also to apply the test as to whether the tires will pick up a small piece of paper. This still leaves the difficulty of deciding on the size, texture and composition of the piece of test paper!
It also tends to disqualify tires that have legitimately been cleaned only with adhesive tape that can easily leave a sticky residue behind, which will probably pick up the paper!

I can't find a fool-proof solution, dammit!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Treated tyres are so sweet
!!! Sunday evening here in Rome I was marshalling our race (see Otello's topic "wobble bearings"), and from the fastest cars, when cornering hard, came a strong smell of burned rubber
; tyres where hot and sticky and cars flashed by as rockets; I am only at the beginning of the tyre wizardry learning curve, but I have seen big improvements
. Anyway I am with Grah and Inte : for faster races treat the tyres before and run dry on the track. I believe that the best drivers will always be the best, also without any tyre treatment , and a little aid could help more us, poor and medium pilots, than them.
Ciao

1 - 8 of 8 Posts