SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a machine under the following scenario:

- My only interest is in 1:32 scalextric cars and making them run their best on a home set

- I'm a novice, but just love to tinker, along with my son, and want the best precision machine. I prefer to spend what it takes to be confident that I have the best rather than purchase multiple machines down the line to see if another machine is better.

- Dont need suggestions for home built options, I know they work but must satisfy my curiosity around a machine

- Area 3 seems best to me but seems unavailable (source ?)

- Seems to leave me with hudy or scale auto?

Which is best? Thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi,

If by "scalextric" you're referring to the brand rather than generic 1:32 slot cars, neither Hudy nor Scaleauto will suit you as they only work on set-screw wheels, you need to find one that'll do the entire axle.

Tire-Razor is a popular choice in the US and there was a simple solution review on these pages recently but I can't remember the name.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I recently gave in and purchased a Tire Razor. Would've liked to go for the Area 3 product seeing as it's made locally, for me. But I couldn't find the extra bucks to fund the difference. Happy with it for doing plastic wheels on the axle. Alloys I do via a Dremel and stand.

Poses (or is it Proses?) make a tyre cleaner/truer. Have a look at the forum sponsors list in the resources section and you should be able to find more about it. Mattcrackers won one thanks to the Xmas Competition. You might like to talk to him about it.

Embs

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
As you are running on plastic track with (presumably) magnets fitted it is debatable whether a proper tyre truer is worth the expenditure. The magnets will have a far greater effect than any truing and a quick sanding of the tyres would probably be sufficient.

The Proses product LINKY is not a proper truer but a commercial version of the tried and tested sandpaper method. It is relatively cheap and may be all you need for a home track.

If you definitely want to splash out on a proper truer then the Area 3 or Tyre Razor will be your best bet. They both work well with Scalextric type rear axles. I have an Area 3 and it does a very good job. It is usually available from Pendle Slot Racing although they are currently out of stock and you may have a short wait for a fresh supply. You should also be aware that it needs a fairly hefty separate (fully adjustable voltage) power supply so you will need to budget for one of those as well.

As a previous post stated the Hudy and Scale Auto are totally unsuitable for your purpose as they only do one wheel at a time and, for standard Scalextric type use you need one that will take the whole axle in one go.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
I recently purchased Tire-Razor too and could not be happier with it.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wonderful info, thanks guys. It was confusing trying to make the decision based off supplier descriptions so glad I posted. will purchase an area 3 if I can find one or if not, a tire razor.

As a follow up, when using either of these machines, is it mandatory to glue the tires to get the best result?

Not to be arrogant, but I feel passionate about this and the "best procedure" is the best cost for me as it elimanates the fantasy of something else being better. Its an affliction I embrace!

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Either the Area 3 machine or the Tire Razor will definitely be a worthwhile purchase. The Razor is based on (copied from) the Area 3 machine which is in turn based on an earlier machine.

I glue before true, but I know of others who do not. I have had an instance of damage caused by a tyre comining off a rim even though car wasn't traveling overly fast.

Embs

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Hi
in terms of gluing then if you are the perfectionist you imply you are then it is mandatory. However if you are just using stock tyres (ie those that come with the car) they should be perfectly suited for the rims. In that case gluing is probably not required.

You will need to get a decent amped power source running at 6v or there abouts. If you have to many revs (ie higher voltage outputs) the tyres can heat up and melt rather than be trued, and you need the amps to keep the axle turning as you apply pressure while truing. I use a RC boat battey - 6v and 5 amps and a cheap charger, keeping one battery fully charged while I use the other. A very cheap, portable and perfectly fine power supply for this purpose.
Matt

·
Rich Dumas
3,667 Posts
It never hurts to glue the tires to the rims before you true them. If you get good grip the tires will start to pull away from the rims in the corners and that will degrade performance, especially if you run without magnets. If you put aftermarket tires on your car those are more likely to move around as you try to true them. Slot Car Corner stocks the Area 3 machine. If you are seeking instant gratification the SCC team is off running in a 24 hour endurance race and will not be filling orders until April 3.

·
Greg Gaub
15,361 Posts
Sandpaper is still good. If you can keep it flat and work slowly and carefully, you can do a great job with just that. That said, I have better results with a truer. I also have a Tire Razor, and count on it for making a wobbly set of wheels/tires run true.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.