SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any builders add any kind of drop arm or other means of keeping a slot on track? I have noticed that many new builders don't bother to add drop arms or ISO chassis. All new cars from major and niche makers only
have a flexible Plastic chassis, and maybe a little spring to push the guide down by a few MMs.(besides rally cars with large drop arm for really rough terrain. So I'm just wondering what you all consider to be the superior type of guide helper. Personally I only have a small rally track (8 second laps) but the SCX cars with a guide that is pushed down with a spring work the best. Or have we gotten to the point where all those things are just a distraction and not needed. What's your call?
Thanks for opinion.
Willis
Ps I would add photos but I thought I could only do that after 25 posts. Am I wrong? Where should I look for help on posting photos.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi there is a currently a thread somewhere re the efficacy or otherwise of drop arms
as coop says if you dont have a bumpy track or you are not doing drag racing dont use them, or they will encourage the motor to yank the front wheels in the air and the car will end up tipping out on corners

cheers tony

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Have a look at the thread "Who invented the swing pickup?" in the Vintage and Collectors forum -- now on page two of its list of topics. There is discussion of the history and value of drop-arms.

·
re member
4,181 Posts
Some of the new NSR cars have drop arms....wonder why.

I used to build all my scratchbuilt chassis with a drop arm until I realised that they arent necessary on a smooth wood track.
However if you want your car to wheelstand then a drop arm is essential.

regards

·
Registered
331 Posts
QUOTE (munter @ 9 Nov 2011, 16:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some of the new NSR cars have drop arms....wonder why.

I used to build all my scratchbuilt chassis with a drop arm until I realised that they arent necessary on a smooth wood track.
However if you want your car to wheelstand then a drop arm is essential.

regards
the RALLY version have the drop, for terrain. the "racing" versions do not

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
As development of chassis continued into the 70s, racers tried limiting the movement of drop arms and isos.
Drop arms may have helped on bumpy tracks, but by then the art of track building had moved on so tracks were generally smoother
They discovered that on current tracks, the cars went better with the drop arm or iso locked in the up position. All the drop arm was doing was enabling the chassis to flex in a slightly different way. Having discovered drop arms that drop made the cars slower, racers abandoned drop arma and looked at other ways of providing beneficial chassis flex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.