Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let I start with my background which is interaction design. That is how people interact with stuff and is related to usability.

I choose slot.it because of their inovative cardridge system, support of multiple manufacturers and imo the most advanced controller and their latest oxygen system.

They have come a long way.

Now I want to hint them in a innovative direction. Change the controller design.

How?

Think out of the box and make it look like an wireless xbox controller.
Perfect ergonomics and ample space for electronics. Imo ideal control for slot cars.
Posting it in the open world for one who would like the idea. I sure would like to have that form of controls.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This is matter of tradition. Xbox controller design is for virtual gamers, slotcars drivers prefered pistol design.

·
Vendor
2,912 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the suggestion.
We have plans to improve the current unit in areas that can be improved, but we will not change the overall shape. Regardless of whether it would be a good thing or not, the cost for a new tooling is significant, so don't expect any revolutions in the shape of the SCP-1 shell for the years to come.

Regards
Maurizio

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (Gash @ 9 Apr 2012, 02:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's the stupidest thing iv ever read on here. And iv read some stupid things.
LMAO.......

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
QUOTE That's the stupidest thing iv ever read on here. And iv read some stupid things.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I remember reading about a guy who was a real expert on ergonomics etc. He found that steering wheel and foot operated throttle was not the optimum way of driving a full size car, and came up with his improved solution of a twist grip throttle and a steering arrangement rather like handle bars .
If starting from scratch in a world where cars didn't exist, his ideas might have had considerable merit.
But of course there are vast numbers of cars in the world and a world full of drivers trained to drive them using a steering wheel and foot operated throttle. There was no shortage of people used to an another technology that did use handlebars and a twist grip throttle (motorcyclists) ..... but the idea was a non starter for car drivers and the world's car makers continue to use a steering wheel and foot operated throttle.

Experienced slot racers world wide have trained themselves to use a trigger and/or a thumb plunger. There was no shortage of people used to other technologies (e.g. games consoles or radio control), but is anybody going to invest development money into a different slot car controller in the hope it will sell?

·
Alexis Gaitanis
2,397 Posts
QUOTE (Gash @ 9 Apr 2012, 09:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's the stupidest thing iv ever read on here. And iv read some stupid things.

Everyone are entitled to their own views and opinions.Criticising other peoples views and opinions is wellcome,this kind of talk is
rubishing them thus unacceptable and offending.I dont think this is what this forum is about.Or if i wanted to reply your style i'd write "i've read destructive criticism before but not as stupid" but i dont because it leads nowhere.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
On a more positive note

True that slotracer's are in general a conservative bunch...and adapting to the new possibilities of digital racing is a daunting challenge for most....But should such a redesign proof to be faster

And don't forget...this very forum is proof of what can happen if one has an idea, and sticks with it..regardless of what people may say

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Any difference of opinion can be construed as "rubbishing" other people's view. It's not a question of what you say but how you say it. Online groups tend to be direct as it is a near instant medium.

The idea of using a PS3/PS2/X-box/iPad/Android controller is nothing new ....... a working one would be though.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I´am glad that it will be a discussion on that thing.
I have two SP1-1 and are not whery satisfy bye the handling.
Quit clumsy, so its a good idea to have an open diskussion.
My first handle hang sometimes. Maybee I have to make a reclamation!
Let people make there statment whitout problem.
Bee Nice!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think you may find that most R/C car controllers are also trigger type (for throttle) and steering wheel (for steering) ,
the lever type controllers being used mainly for planes and ships.
So RC actually copied slot racing in their design.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Pete,

You are correct, the first practical R.C. car controller was an adapted Parma style slot car controller, the first ones were used on 1/8th gas cars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No intend to offend anyone, merely opening a discussion.
I quite like console gaming and many more with me I guess.
Since it use triggers to shoot I made a link. I do understand tooling would be expensive.
It was just an idea.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Different controls suit different purposes. The ideal controller when there is only one function to control (like the trigger or plunger on a slot car controller) can have significant differences from where there are two functions to control separately (like the throttle and steering on an RC car)

I'd say, anybody who thinks they can produce something better than existing controllers please go ahead and build one. If that demonstrates real advantages then loads of us will want one. If it doesn't demonstrate real advantages, don't expect much interest.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Actually....at their first introduction the Trigger type controllers were considered quite "controversial"
our club still has some old dinosaurs that prefer thumb over indexfinger

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,587 Posts
Hello DutchDog,
You are quite right to point out that the design of hand controllers is long overdue a re-think. The finger-trigger style was devised decades ago and was driven by the technology available at the time (resistors). With modern electronic technology there is scope for other possibilities. Many people use a touch sensitive "trackpad" instead of a mouse and that strikes me as a possible route for development.
A big part of the design of a controller is to reduce fatigue when used for long periods. X-Box users seem to use those for long periods so there must be something to learn from that.

Kind regards, Leo

1 - 20 of 46 Posts