SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm torn. just dragged this out of my loft. now , do i shove it on a well known auction site where i am fairly certain it would fetch silly money (to go to the mrrc gr5 rodenstock celica fund)....or build a rs2600/3100 replica out of it....obviously minus the jimmy sticking out of the bonnet!! mmmm...decisions decisions.

·
Mike
629 Posts
build !!!!!!
There are very few seen so go for it.
If you sell it , it will probably be hidden for the next 20 years, and nobody that has actually seen a real one will recognise it.
That's my opinion fwiw
Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
Build it! Build it!

I thought MPC made a copy of the Airfix kit without the silly bits on? I'll have to hunt mine down and see. Not that I intend to build it yet!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
got a better idea sell it to me for peanuts and i,ll put it on the track, blower in place and race the hell out of it. john

·
Registered
435 Posts
They do get bitter and twisted on one of the Airfix forums about us converting static kits to slot cars. They have taken to convering slot cars to static kits, junking the chassis and motor and fitting static kit suspension and wheels, maybe they could give us the running chassis

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (rogerbass @ 12 Mar 2012, 08:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They do get bitter and twisted on one of the Airfix forums about us converting static kits to slot cars. They have taken to convering slot cars to static kits, junking the chassis and motor and fitting static kit suspension and wheels, maybe they could give us the running chassis

slotting it is probably about the kindest thing for it. i can't really see why anyone would get all misty eyed over airfix! the quality of the kit is pretty dismal an there is quite an amount of work required to get it looking even half way there. i cant even remember how i came to end up with this way back in my childhood as i certainly never ploughed my pocket money into airfix tat. back then when i built a lot of 1/24 statics i only ever bought tamiya or fujimi kits. the only thing that airfix had going for them is the fact that they were and i suppose are (relatively) cheap and 1/32! i wouldnt touch 'em otherwise. i think i probably will build this one but i'd better clear the decks of the other projects that are backing up first. at least it will give me time to mull over the spec!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (pace1970uk @ 13 Mar 2012, 11:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've not seen an Airfix Capri before, given that it is assembled it would certainly make a decent slot car.

i would strip it back to a bare shell for starters. at least i hadnt painted the shell. not sure wether to recycle an old chassis off something else or try a pcs one. if i can squeeze it onto a sidewinder though i think i may just about be able to keep the full interior in it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GULP!...........http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-AIRFIX-MK1-FORD-CAPRI-SLOT-CAR-V-RARE-L-K-/300692993965?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET&hash=item4602b2f7ad

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
As the kit has been started, I would convert it into a cool slotcar..

Most collectors want the kits unstarted and with the boxes in perfect condition, so if put on the usual auction site, it probably would not fetch as much as you would hope for.

I also have the same decision with some of the kits I have collected over the years for conversion, as a lot of them date back to the 60s, 70s and 80s..
Personally I would rather see them running around a track, than gathering dust on the shelf... "Go For It" build a slot car..

All the best.. Martin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts